Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DonOfThemBirds

Sean Payton: This will be Drew Brees' final season

3 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

Hope you’re right but they **** sure let Teddy go knowing Brees will retire this year 

1 minute ago, SLEVEN said:

I also believe Payton didn’t think Teddy would be worth his asking price, or that they could afford to pay him and Brees both starters money this season. 

Could see Saints draft a QB at some point in this draft. Maybe even in the 1st round.

Payton was said to be in love with Mahomes until Chiefs drafted him. Jordan Love has similar physical abilities even though I personally think people are making a mistake thinking he will be Mahomes 2.0.

Love may have enough for Payton to work with and groom though.

56 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Likely odds of Brees' final regular season game being against the Falcons in NO on SNF???

Ha. Not a chance in hades we would win in that scenario. It would be Katrina Bowl II with us getting screwed every which way again.

Pfft.  They'd probably have Bon Jovi show up again.

5 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Maybe its that. I just remember him being close to 30. The chances of him making it now are very, very slim.

Yep he’s 29 and will be 30 in August but I’ll give him more than a very very slim chance. Payton loves the guy and has said he believes in him. 

Just in from PFT about 20 mins ago

Sean Payton does not believe in the old adage that if you have two quarterbacks you have none.

The Saints re-signed Drew Brees and placed a first-round tender on Taysom Hill, and Payton said on ESPN that the reason the Saints put a first-round tender on Hill is that they think he’s a starting quarterback — just not actually the starter until Brees retires.

“First and foremost, we still view him as a quarterback. We spent a lot of time this offseason discussing our vision for him this season at quarterback,” Payton said of Hill.

But Payton said Hill is too good an athlete to spend game days on the sideline holding a clipboard.

“He’s a tremendous blocker. I don’t think people realize how fast he is — he’s one of the two or three fastest guys on our team,” Payton said. “I think Taysom sees himself as being a starting quarterback in this league, and we do too.”

Hill will get plenty of reps at quarterback with the first-string offense because the Saints believe the 41-year-old Brees will benefit from time off in practice. Eventually, that practice time will serve Hill well, as the Saints believe Hill can be the heir apparent to Brees.

1 minute ago, Atl Falcon said:

Yep he’s 29 and will be 30 in August but I’ll give him more than a very very slim chance. Payton loves the guy and has said he believes in him. 

Just in from PFT about 20 mins ago

Sean Payton does not believe in the old adage that if you have two quarterbacks you have none.

The Saints re-signed Drew Brees and placed a first-round tender on Taysom Hill, and Payton said on ESPN that the reason the Saints put a first-round tender on Hill is that they think he’s a starting quarterback — just not actually the starter until Brees retires.

“First and foremost, we still view him as a quarterback. We spent a lot of time this offseason discussing our vision for him this season at quarterback,” Payton said of Hill.

But Payton said Hill is too good an athlete to spend game days on the sideline holding a clipboard.

“He’s a tremendous blocker. I don’t think people realize how fast he is — he’s one of the two or three fastest guys on our team,” Payton said. “I think Taysom sees himself as being a starting quarterback in this league, and we do too.”

Hill will get plenty of reps at quarterback with the first-string offense because the Saints believe the 41-year-old Brees will benefit from time off in practice. Eventually, that practice time will serve Hill well, as the Saints believe Hill can be the heir apparent to Brees.

If they believed that so strongly, Hill would have been the one starting last year, not Bridgewater.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

If they believed that so strongly, Hill would have been the one starting last year, not Bridgewater.

1 hour ago,  SLEVEN said: 

I just don’t see it. If Hill is so good why did Teddy start all the games when Brees was injured? Why not play the guy who you believe is you best option after Brees? ( which I believe Teddy was that option.)

******didn’t want to change the offense for T Hill with Drew coming back in 5 wks 

I was thinking the exact same thing but was listening to NFL or Mad Dog radio Sunday and this dude was talking about the reason they used TB instead of Hill. I can’t remember his name but he said the offense stayed the same with Teddy while Brees was out. He was saying the offense will change when Hill takes over. IDK just repeating what I heard but this guy is very high on Hill and thinks the Saints offense will be just as good when they make the permanent change once Brees retires. He also noted that Hill is such a huge asset the way they used him including special teams that with Brees coming back in 5 wks it wasn’t worth all the changes. TB didn’t miss a beat. 

Edited by Atl Falcon

I knew this thread was going to have some schadenfreude in it but I was expecting much more. I’m disappointed in y’all!

:lol:

2 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Likely odds of Brees' final regular season game being against the Falcons in NO on SNF???

I’d say relatively low.

Reason being is the NFL typically leaves that Week 17 SNF game open when they release the schedule and a lot of of things would have to happen in order for that to happen:

1. First and foremost, they’d have to schedule the game for Week 17.
  2. Both teams would have to be in a position toward the end of the season where that Week 17 game will decide either the winner of the NFC South or possibly the #1 seed because if one or neither team is really relevant, they won’t flex it into SNF in Week 17
  3. If not for the NFC South or #1 seed, it’d definitely have to have the most playoff implications of the other 15 games in Week 17 since theybwait until the conclusion of the Week 16 games to decide which game will go into that SNF spot

Personally, I think that game in New Orleans will be poached by ESPN for a MNF broadcast if it isn’t already slated for the NBC game on Thanksgiving for a 3rd year in a row.

2 hours ago, SLEVEN said:

I just don’t see it. If Hill is so good why did Teddy start all the games when Brees was injured? Why not play the guy who you believe is your best option after Brees? ( which I believe Teddy was that option.)

@Atl Falcon’s post details most of the reason but I believe there were a couple of other factors also at play that led to that decision.

First was Hill’s non-QB role. If Hill was thrust into the QB1 position in Brees’ absence, that leaves a boatload of Hill’s snaps (at TE, WR, RB/FB, personal punt protector, punt rusher, and kickoff coverage/returns) needing to be filled by multiple players. Either you have one backup getting QB1 reps or you have 5-6 backups getting starting snaps on top of Hill getting QB1 reps. 

Second was on the financial side. Before the 2019 season, the Saints organization more than likely knew a couple of things:

• a.) Bridgewater was an UFA and would likely be offered starting QB money and leave after the season regardless
  • b.) Hill was a RFA and they held far more leverage than they did in the situation with Bridgewater
  • c.) that they were already willing to use the 1st round tender on Hill to deter any potentially interested teams from attempting to sign him to an offer sheet 

Having Bridgewater start in Brees’ absence was more beneficial for the Saints in the the long run than starting Hill. If Bridgewater came in and stunk it up, it likely meant we’d be able retain his services at a modest price tag for the 2020 season; on the flip side, if he came in and lit it up (or at least was adequate and we kept winning like we did), we’d continue on pace for our 2019 run and it’d ultimately result in him getting a massive payday in free agency and a 2021 3rd round compensatory pick for losing him while simultaneously keeping Hill’s potential 2020 salary lower.

Now if Hill started those games and lit it up, the 31 other teams would then have tangible, NFL game film on him to accurately grade what he is worth as opposed to the occasional pass here and there and having to take Payton’s word for it. With that information, that 1st round tender may not deter potentially interested teams and they may be more willing to spend that 1st on him (especially if it’s a late 1st) or at minimum, sign him to an offer sheet in attempts to drive up the price tag to retain him since the 1st round tender is only $4.641M.

2 hours ago, NWFALCON said:

Setting up for farewell tour calls from the refs. 

I ain’t mad at it if so. I wouldn’t say no to a free Lombardi either... :ninja:

:tiphat:

1 hour ago, Zzzzz said:

Pfft.  They'd probably have Bon Jovi show up again.

I think you mean Bono. I don’t remember anything with Bon Jovi, but U2 did perform at that game.

1 hour ago, quotemokc said:

Isnt Brees contract for 2 years?

It is, but if I’m remembering right it’s a void year (like the 2020 season was on his previous deal) to spread out the cap and dead money hits.