Sean Payton: This will be Drew Brees' final season

Payton: This will be Drew Brees’ final season

Payton: This will be Drew Brees’ final season

Black & Gold Review, Wild Card Elimination: Previewing Drew Brees' Free Agency
By Sean Fazende | March 31, 2020 at 11:35 AM CDT - Updated March 31 at 2:19 PM

NEW ORLEANS, La. (WVUE) -New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees will be back for his 15th season in black and gold in 2020, but according to Head Coach Sean Payton, this is likely going to be his last.

On ESPN’s Get Up this morning, when talking about Taysom Hill’s role, Payton told Mike Greenberg that Brees announced he is coming back for his final season.

“The unique situation with our team and our quarterback, Drew Brees is that he has announced he is coming back for his final season. I think Taysom sees himself as being a starting quarterback in this league and we do too. Now because of what we choose to do with him on gameday, we have to carry a third quarterback just based on the nature of the amount of plays he is playing. At any given time, if something were to happen to his throwing hand then all of a sudden, you’re really down to your starting quarterback. So we’ll have a third quarterback that’ll be up each game.”

It’s something that’s been speculated but not necessarily confirmed that 2020 was his last.

Payton’s comments come just a day after a report came out that ESPN is targeting Brees for the Monday night football booth after his retirement..

https://www.fox8live.com/2020/03/31/payton-this-will-be-drew-brees-final-season/?outputType=amp

If this is indeed it, Falcons need to be the last team he plays this season. Send Brees out in disappointment.

4 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

He’ll Hill may end up being very special 

I just don’t see it. If Hill is so good why did Teddy start all the games when Brees was injured? Why not play the guy who you believe is your best option after Brees? ( which I believe Teddy was that option.)

Edited by SLEVEN
Just now, Vandy said:

After all these years of listening to DQ spew his nonsense, you guys still believe anything a coach says to media? LOL

I don't think Payton would lie about Brees retiring.

ESPN is also offering Brees an 8 figure contract to join MNF after he retires, so there's a good chance this really could be it.

1 minute ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I don't think Payton would lie about Brees retiring.

ESPN is also offering Brees an 8 figure contract to join MNF after he retires, so there's a good chance this really could be it.

Naw, Payton would never lie, Don. :ninja:

1 minute ago, SLEVEN said:

I just don’t see it. If Hill is so good why did Teddy start all the games when Brees was injured? Why not play the guy who you believe is you best option after Brees? ( which I believe Teddy was that option.)

I was thinking the exact same thing but was listening to NFL or Mad Dog radio Sunday and this dude was talking about the reason they used TB instead of Hill. I can’t remember his name but he said the offense stayed the same with Teddy while Brees was out. He was saying the offense will change when Hill takes over. IDK just repeating what I heard but this guy is very high on Hill and thinks the Saints offense will be just as good when they make the permanent change once Brees retires. He also noted that Hill is such a huge asset the way they used him including special teams that with Brees coming back in 5 wks it wasn’t worth all the changes. TB didn’t miss a beat. 

I'm ready for Brees to retire, but I love the guy as a player man. He's so dam good. You gotta appreciate greatness. Wish Matt had a defense that was able to slow him down, but very few teams had that in the league. Will be glad once he's gone. 

2 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

I was thinking the exact same thing but was listening to NFL or Mad Dog radio Sunday and this dude was talking about the reason they used TB instead of Hill. I can’t remember his name but he said the offense stayed the same with Teddy while Brees was out. He was saying the offense will change when Hill takes over. IDK just repeating what I heard but this guy is very high on Hill and thinks the Saints offense will be just as good when they make the permanent change once Brees retires. He also noted that Hill is such a huge asset the way they used him including special teams that with Brees coming back in 5 wks it wasn’t worth all the changes. TB didn’t miss a beat. 

Ya it’s possible, I think it’s all bs. Even when they run options with him, I think he throws like under 10% of the time. My opinion is that they don’t trust him throwing the ball unless it’s catching a Defense off guard 

Just now, SLEVEN said:

Ya it’s possible, I think it’s all bs. Even when they run options with him, I think he throws like under 10% of the time. My opinion is that they don’t trust him throwing the ball unless it’s catching a Defense off guard 

Obviously that’s just my opinion though lol when it comes down to it, I have zero idea what I’m talking about 

3 minutes ago, SLEVEN said:

Hope you’re right but they **** sure let Teddy go knowing Brees will retire this year 

Just now, Atl Falcon said:

Hope you’re right but they **** sure let Teddy go knowing Brees will retire this year 

I also believe Payton didn’t think Teddy would be worth his asking price, or that they could afford to pay him and Brees both starters money this season.