Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
The Don™

Chris Lindstrom Analysis - 49ers Game

I wanted to look at Chris Lindstrom in his first full game since his injury without splitting snaps with anybody. It was against the 49ers. Like my previous Gono thread, I'm writing as the game goes on so it was may seem repetitive at times.

-A little late to get downfield on WR screen but once those legs start pumping, watch out. He's fast getting downfield.

-Very good lateral quickness and mirroring when pass blocking.

-Blocked first lineman on run to right then pummeled the next guy to the ground after disengaging first guy.

-Fires off quick and completely manhandled #96 on 49ers by taking him to the ground. Impressive.

-Gets slightly beat on the swim move but quickly moved his feet and took DL out of pass play.

-Anchored well on the stunt move by DL.

-Very next play got pushed back on bull rush and never anchored...bad technique.

-Good hand punch.

-Dropped his head slightly but quick enough to move laterally to prevent a disruption to pocket.

-Always looking for someone to block when no one in his area

-Nice lateral agility on toss play to left. Never let lineman get inside on him.

-Got slightly pushed back to allow lineman to disrupt running play enough. Lost leverage.

-Destroyed #91 from the side while his "brother" McGary was engaged head on.

-Great hand usage to keep lineman from getting squared up on him.

-Got a little upright in pass pro and pushed back to disrupt pocket. Entire line got pushed to be honest.

-Nice pull block to spring Freeman for 10 yard gain. Showed athleticism.

-Nice initial hand punch but got upright and pushed back. Recurring theme.

-"Bench pressed" lineman and anchored well. When using proper anchor technique, he does well in pass pro because he's strong enough.

-Got to second level very quickly. Freeman took wrong hole.

-Knocked Bosa on his a$$ while McGary was directly engaged with him. Bosa literally flew sideways.

-Good push on Ollison's 1 yard rushing TD

-Got put on skates on a stunt but recovered well

-Let lineman get extended and got beat nearly resulting in Ryan sack

Overall. Lots of positives. Negatives are his tendencies to get upright, lose leverage, and get pushed back as a result. These are very coachable though. Against a very good 49ers DL and only his THIRD NFL game, he looked really good and earned his first round billing. He is going to be a really good one for us with some all pros and pro bowls in his future. 

Side note...Wreh-Wilson had a phenomenal game. Could have had 2-3 INTs based on instincts and jumping routes alone. Glad he got resigned.

27 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

Overall. Lots of positives. Negatives are his tendencies to get upright, lose leverage, and get pushed back as a result. These are very coachable though. Against a very good 49ers DL and only his THIRD NFL game, he looked really good and earned his first round billing. He is going to be a really good one for us with some all pros and pro bowls in his future. 

Thanks for breaking it down.
I know position switching is overly in vogue here and so people get annoyed with it.  But his strengths combined with weaknesses always make him seem like a tackle to me.  He gets pushed back too much at OG but recovers.  At OT, you can get pushed back because you're further from the QB.  His speed and long arms would work for him.

I think he'll be a fine OG as well, but if McGary weren't so tall I wouldn't have problems with the calls to switch those guys positions.  As it is, I suspect Lindstrom can play OG or OT just fine, but McGary might have trouble at OG due to height, so hopefully he can get better with the speed rushers.

1 hour ago, takeitdown said:

Thanks for breaking it down.
I know position switching is overly in vogue here and so people get annoyed with it.  But his strengths combined with weaknesses always make him seem like a tackle to me.  He gets pushed back too much at OG but recovers.  At OT, you can get pushed back because you're further from the QB.  His speed and long arms would work for him.

I think he'll be a fine OG as well, but if McGary weren't so tall I wouldn't have problems with the calls to switch those guys positions.  As it is, I suspect Lindstrom can play OG or OT just fine, but McGary might have trouble at OG due to height, so hopefully he can get better with the speed rushers.

I think Lindstrom is a long term guard and possibly take over for Mack at center. His "weaknesses" are mostly technique flaws that are coachable. I think he can be an all pro guard in this league if he can get work on his leverage skills. He can get away with playing higher in against lesser talented/less strong college linemen, but not against NFL linemen. But like I said, it's fixable.

Hooper feels Lindstrom can ultimately be the best OL in the NFL one day. That’s one heck of an endorsement. 

I cant wait to see him this year after another training camp and preseason.

On 3/30/2020 at 4:25 PM, The Don™ said:

I think Lindstrom is a long term guard and possibly take over for Mack at center. His "weaknesses" are mostly technique flaws that are coachable. I think he can be an all pro guard in this league if he can get work on his leverage skills. He can get away with playing higher in against lesser talented/less strong college linemen, but not against NFL linemen. But like I said, it's fixable.

I think that's probably true.  His main issue is simply he can be bull rushed...he doesn't have a lot of brick wall power like Quenton Nelson at the position.   I love his recovery.  I just see a lot of traits that would make a good tackle (actually sort of has the same strengths and weaknesses as Matthews.)

But I'm good with him being a top level starter at either position.  We need quality linemen and he looked like he was going to become one.