Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
wartownfalcon

Kirk Herbstreit says....

7 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

This is blowing my mind. I was wondering today if any of us on here would get Covid-19. It's starting to look like a bunch of us have already had it and never knew what it was, only that it was a real-asz kicking flu bug.

I’m convinced many Americans had this in November and December including myself. 

2 hours ago, Williamb said:

Im with ya man. He wasn't my first choice to be republican candidate. And even now, there are times when i slap my head and say "will you please shut up already". But, he is our president and i believe he is doing the best he can for our country (which is far better than the clown show alternatives that i have seen). The man could cure cancer, solve world hunger, and give everyone a million dollars and people would still complain. I'm so tired of it! Can't we just pull together in this time of crisis, pray for the man and his advisers, and move on from this political crap.

GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen William, these haters fueled by media activism and hostility just get crazier and crazier each time an attempted take down fails. It’s hurting our country, but some of them are so self obsessed they can’t see it.  

I do agree that the virus has likely been here for a while.  No way the busiest airport in the world wasn't exposed around the same time as our larger urban centers.  I'd guess that the way the virus ravaged a retirement home in Washington brought attention to it there first.

Just now, Malachore said:

My wife was the same way. It's been here, these cases are not new. Just recent. 

I truly believe now I had it. What I had laid me lower than any flu I ever had in my life before this. So sick, if somebody had told me I was going to die at the time I wouldn't have cared. lol. Hopefully I'm done with this vile ****. Hope everybody else in here comes out of this okay, no matter your political persuasion.

1 hour ago, tactician said:

He said Covid-19 has a fatality rate of 2%. That is a false statement. I thought Canucks were good at math? Right now in the US there are 160,000 or so confirmed cases, around 3000 deaths. That's a rate of 1.88%, and that's not including asymptomatic cases. For every positive case there are likely 10 asymptomatic cases that do not get tested, perhaps more. That would put the actual fatality rate around 0.18%. 

This argument seems to make it way way way worse to me 

If this is the argument a national lockdown has to happen. Because the infectivity rate would have to be insane.

21 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

This right here is what I'm talking about. South Korea is being praised and Trump is being bashed. But according to the numbers I posted earlier in this thread and linked to the USA death rate is 1.8% and South Korea's is 1.6% so why are they being praised and Trump being bashed when it's nearly the same death rate?

At the same phase in their outbreak, they were at .7 death rate.

You can't look at the death rate until the current people sick have made it or not.  So if you're looking at a growing population of sick people, you would have to look at current deaths divided by cases 2-3 weeks ago to get a proper death rate.

If no one else got sick starting tomorrow in the US, another 1.5 percent of those sick would likely die giving a 3% death rate.

And the idea is to get ahead of it so you can keep the numbers from going up quickly, to give time for treatments to come out.  They're having fewer than 200 new cases daily because they tested heavily and quarantined the sick.  That's the goal...to stop the spread.

9 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I’m convinced many Americans had this in November and December including myself. 

It really all just fell into place for me tonight reading everybody else's stories. I suddenly realized the same thing had happened to me. Now I honestly feel relieved, even though I'll still self-quarantine with the rest of the old folks.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Where are you coming from with this ‘ignorance” narrative? There was some early missteps by leaders, and there’s the usual idiotic few who are always clueless, but overall most people have been scared ****less from this virus by the 24:7 news focused on it.

And we had way more lead-time on this than Italy had, so it’s not the same. Plus Italy doesn’t have near the quality healthcare system America has.

Was it really just a few though? Besides the Black Friday like spectacles at grocery stores, people were by and large conducting business as usual until about three weeks or so ago. At that point the number of known cases started doubling and tripling on an almost daily basis and the markets started tanking precipitously as a result, despite best efforts by leadership to downplay the severity of what we're dealing with.

Just now, Jpizzle said:

This argument seems to make it way way way worse to me 

If this is the argument a national lockdown has to happen. Because the infectivity rate would have to be insane.

They refused to quarantine NY/NJ/CON citing it would be unconstitutional to do so. You absolutely can not shut down an entire country after that. 

I think they should have done it to NY, over 1/3 of the cases are there and contrary to what they were saying people were leaving and FLA is probably the next "hot spot". Which also makes me question their motives because if it were as dire as they say the why is NY open and freely moving.

3 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

It really all just fell into place for me tonight reading everybody else's stories. I suddenly realized the same thing had happened to me. Now I honestly feel relieved, even though I'll still self-quarantine with the rest of the old folks.

Dude IT WAS NOT IN THE COUNTRY in November and December. That was the regular seasonal flu. This is much worse.

26 minutes ago, gazoo said:

This is what some of you guys who are politicizing this do. You refuse to recognize the other side of the argument about all the harm being caused by the shutdown, and if anyone mentions it you accuse them of not taking this seriously.

Well, the suicide hotlines are already experiencing a huge increase in calls, one county in TN had 9 suicide the last 2 days. People are already losing everything they’ve worked for all their lives. Wiped out in financial destruction, losing their businesses and jobs. 

We just heard from federal reserve that Coronavirus job loses could be 47 million with a 32% unemployment just based on cirremt shutdown. The suicide rate during recession/ depression years can be 12 - 14% in every 10,000 Americans each year. That doesn’t include the drug overdoses and other deaths form the mental health crisis.  If you ignore the possibility of a long shutdown plunging America into a long term depression you are just playing politics. 

I'm not politicizing anything. I've just noticed an extreme trend of people who aren't taking this seriously/going outside and congregating with others to be American. Sure, bring up suicide rates for no reason to deflect from the seriousness of a WORLDWIDE pandemic. 

I called it like two weeks ago that the US would be the worst hit by this. Because people think they know better, or are smarter, or are stronger than the rest of the world. Half of you don't even believe in climate change. Or just simply don't care about the well-being of others (this is likely the biggest issue). I, myself, am young and healthy and would be just fine if I caught the virus, but I am extremely aware of my civic duty to not be a carrier. 

Your government approved a multi-trillion stimulus package to get through the next several months responsibly, don't let it be in vain.

6 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

At the same phase in their outbreak, they were at .7 death rate.

You can't look at the death rate until the current people sick have made it or not.  So if you're looking at a growing population of sick people, you would have to look at current deaths divided by cases 2-3 weeks ago to get a proper death rate.

If no one else got sick starting tomorrow in the US, another 1.5 percent of those sick would likely die giving a 3% death rate.

And the idea is to get ahead of it so you can keep the numbers from going up quickly, to give time for treatments to come out.  They're having fewer than 200 new cases daily because they tested heavily and quarantined the sick.  That's the goal...to stop the spread.

Trump and the government can only do so much. How many states are currently under "stay at home" orders only to have the PEOPLE disregard such orders and take off to the beach for spring break and other dumb stuff? How is Trump and the government supposed to keep that from happening? Put people under house arrest? There's not enough cops and law enforcement agents around to enforce such an order. So what and how do you suggest making people obey orders that are in place in several states?

15 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Your imagination has no basis in fact or science. And therefore you should retract your statement because it implicitly encourages elderly people that previously got sick last year to forgo the quarantine measures that are required to keep this country safe. #StopMisinformation

1 minute ago, Falcanuck said:

I'm not politicizing anything. I've just noticed an extreme trend of people who aren't taking this seriously/going outside and congregating with others to be American. Sure, bring up suicide rates for no reason to deflect from the seriousness of a WORLDWIDE pandemic. 

I called it like two weeks ago that the US would be the worst hit by this. Because people think they know better, or are smarter, or are stronger than the rest of the world. Half of you don't even believe in climate change. Or just simply don't care about the well-being of others (this is likely the biggest issue). I, myself, am young and healthy and would be just fine if I caught the virus, but I am extremely aware of my civic duty to not be a carrier. 

Your government approved a multi-trillion stimulus package to get through the next several months responsibly, don't let it be in vain.

Congrats on predicting the 3rd most populated country would be hit hard.

22 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

This is blowing my mind. I was wondering today if any of us on here would get Covid-19. It's starting to look like a bunch of us have already had it and never knew what it was, only that it was a real-asz kicking flu bug.

It's not a flu bug. Influenza viruses cause the flu. The Coronavirus strain that causes COVID-19 is related to the family of viruses that cause the common cold, which has no known cure either.

4 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I'm not saying we couldn't have shouldn't have acted quicker. But I also don't believe that by the time all is said and done we're gonna have 200,000 or more dead Americans on our hands.I agree Trump brings a lot of it on himself but Trump is also in a position of "****ed if he does and ****ed if he doesn't." Obama was treated so much more fairly by the media. I'm not just talking about the Covid-19 thing here. I'm talking about in everything.

I'm trying to keep politics out of this since I'm much more interested in people's tribal gaslighting not getting anybody killed. Having said that, the reason why one person got treated better is that he didn't run a constant misinformation campaign. Meanwhile, the other guy would rather climb a tree to tell a lie than stand on the ground and tell the truth. People get treated the way that their scruples would justify. It's an Occam's Razor thing.

As for the 200,000 dead, we're in **** if that happens. The fear is based on the notion of an uncontrollable growth rate. Thankfully, enough smart people have recognized the spread that the US is starting to contain this. There's a self-fulfilling prophecy here in that we've had a relatively static number of new cases each of the past several days.

With the clock about to turn over, we're at 14.4% growth rate, which is down from the 33% it was at a week ago. Is this because we're starting to control it or is it because we have a limited number of daily tests available? It's difficult to get an honest answer to that question right now.

We get to 200,000 if hospitals become too overwhelmed to treat all patients with life-saving methods, something that's already happened in a few isolated instances in the US. Based on everything I know, I don't think we get there, but the scenario looked perfectly plausibly a week ago. Even now, I can model us to have 400,000 cases by next week or 1.3 million. Growth rates are like compound interest. Every percentage point makes a world of difference.

26 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

If people already had it, then emergency rooms would have already spiked!! What you're saying makes zero sense. There was no previous spike in cases or medical needs!!

If Covid-19 spreads like wildfire (do you disagree?) then it would have been spreading all this time AND HOSPITALS would have seen a spike!

Just now, Falcanuck said:

Thank you for being a glowing example of exactly what I spelled out in my post. 

Nothing I said proved anything you said. All you've done in here is belittle and toot your own horn. Now you can add gross assumptions to your resume.

Again congrats.

1 minute ago, Sn4tteRBoxXeR said:

If people already had it, then emergency rooms would have already spiked!! What you're saying makes zero sense. There was no previous spike in cases or medical needs!!

If Covid-19 spreads like wildfire (do you disagree?) then it would have been spreading all this time AND HOSPITALS would have seen a spike!

It makes plenty of sense considering there have been plenty of cases of people who tested positive for the virus and showed no symptoms. That's not much of a reprieve though, considering it's still highly infectious and could still mutate again as it continues to be transmitted.

5 minutes ago, jidady said:

I'm trying to keep politics out of this since I'm much more interested in people's tribal gaslighting not getting anybody killed. Having said that, the reason why one person got treated better is that he didn't run a constant misinformation campaign. Meanwhile, the other guy would rather climb a tree to tell a lie than stand on the ground and tell the truth. People get treated the way that their scruples would justify. It's an Occam's Razor thing.

As for the 200,000 dead, we're in **** if that happens. The fear is based on the notion of an uncontrollable growth rate. Thankfully, enough smart people have recognized the spread that the US is starting to contain this. There's a self-fulfilling prophecy here in that we've had a relatively static number of new cases each of the past several days.

With the clock about to turn over, we're at 14.4% growth rate, which is down from the 33% it was at a week ago. Is this because we're starting to control it or is it because we have a limited number of daily tests available? It's difficult to get an honest answer to that question right now.

We get to 200,000 if hospitals become too overwhelmed to treat all patients with life-saving methods, something that's already happened in a few isolated instances in the US. Based on everything I know, I don't think we get there, but the scenario looked perfectly plausibly a week ago. Even now, I can model us to have 400,000 cases by next week or 1.3 million. Growth rates are like compound interest. Every percentage point makes a world of difference.

Fortunately the more restrictive policies starting to be put into effect are somewhat curbing the spread. Here in MD, lockdown is enforced now.

6 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Nothing I said proved anything you said. All you've done in here is belittle and toot your own horn. Now you can add gross assumptions to your resume.

Again congrats.

I'll go ahead and belittle anyone who comes close to uttering anything resembling "it's not that bad". People who fudge legitimate data to support their own agenda get it too. I'll especially belittle anyone dumb enough to go outside unnecessarily or gather in social settings. Unfortunately, those acts of Darwinism can result in someone's grandparent losing their life instead of their own.

As for my assumptions, again, you're only reinforcing them. But go off, queen.

5 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Trump and the government can only do so much. How many states are currently under "stay at home" orders only to have the PEOPLE disregard such orders and take off to the beach for spring break and other dumb stuff? How is Trump and the government supposed to keep that from happening? Put people under house arrest? There's not enough cops and law enforcement agents around to enforce such an order. So what and how do you suggest making people obey orders that are in place in several states?

Consistent messaging.  If you tell your teen child that drinking is no big deal, smoke a little weed, then get mad once, then it's ok again, and then tell them it's serious...what response do you get?

That's what happened here.  People were told that it was minor and was going to go away, that it was like a cold, like a flu...why would we even shut something down when the flu kills more people each year?  All these things make it seem like not a big deal.  So then when you say it is, you've already undermined yourself and created talking points people keep using.

Words matter, especially from leaders.  If not because people admire them, because they get broadcast everywhere.

Also, to say S Korea did a better job than we did isn't to say we want to live in S Korea, or even they're better than us generally.  But they obviously did a vastly superior job handling this crisis.