Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
The Don™

Matt Gono Analysis - Rewatching Panthers game

Gono's most significant snaps came during week 14 versus the Panthers (36 snaps). It was also Chris Lindstrom's first game back so him and Gono split snaps...I'm rewatching the game on NFL gamepass (free right now) and focusing mainly on Gono....Here's what I see and I apologize in advance if it sounds repetitive because I'm writing as the game goes on.

-Has a strong hand punch

-Performed a beautiful pulling block to create a hole for Freeman which resulted in a 30 yard run.

-He's mean when blocking and really anchors well and uses his lower body well when pass/run blocking.

-Gonna stress again that he has a STRONG initial hand punch. He's mean.

-Side shuffle when pass blocking is a little heavy footed but makes up for it by turning his body quickly to square up the rusher. Seems smart and aware of his surroundings.

-Always finding work and someone to block.

-Fires quick off the line when getting to second level. Isn't the fastest guy getting to the second level but good initial burst.

-Took the LB on a 5 yard ride backwards on a Freeman rushing TD. Quit blocking when Freeman got past him to avoid holding call.

-Does not get pushed back when run blocking head on. At the worst, holds his ground.

-Needs some work on outside zone blocking and not allowing lineman to get inside on him. On one run play, Panthers DL got inside on him and disrupted run play.

-If he gets his hands on you and you're a defender, you can forget about it for the most part.

-Has good lateral agility to mirror effectively in pass blocking.

Has tons of positives from this game from what I analyzed... Two biggest negatives are his lateral quickness on outside runs and getting further into the second level after that good initial burst but I'm nitpicking at this point because his positives outweigh the negatives by a good margin... I really like his potential and traits he showed this game and I think he can be a real contender for that LG spot.

This is the problem with the convoluted messaging.What the fark are we when it comes to running the **** football.

If we are outside zone I can see after what you described @The Don™ why he isn’t getting those starts at LG if his strengths aren’t good lateral movement and getting to the next level this explains why he isn’t starting.

To me it sounds like inside power run is his go bull dozing guys in front of him and if your going to run plays his way maybe that’s what you call all inside runs go left.

For me last years take upfront was they wanted to get bigger and physical yet it’s come to naught so far.Koetters vert scheme needs a power back behind that sought of run game.

Can Gurley be that lead back in the mentioned offense,there obviously bringing Hill and have Ollison so everything to me screams power inside run with Ito being the change up.Gurleys the wild card as I believe he’s a more effective outside runner.

@kiwifalconwe definitely do both outside and inside running and I do agree that the messaging is mixed. Although I think those are Gonos biggest weaknesses, he still looked better in his very limited time than Carp and Brown. There was really no need to sign both Carp AND Brown. It would have saved a lot of headache at the guard spot this past season by just letting Gono get more snaps. 

Gono isn't as quick and fast as Lindstrom for example, but he's good enough to get outside IMO even though his bread and butter is inside blocking.

Two biggest negatives are his lateral quickness on outside runs and getting further into the second level after that good initial burst

Could be why he can't get on the field. Dimi's struggled trying to build an NFL offensive line. Doled out $80M to a bottom rated line in 2019.

14 hours ago, Clark Kent™ said:

Thanks for taking the time doing this. I used to do this back in the day during the summers. And I think a lot of people are curious about Gono as well as Lindstrom and McGary too. 

The boredom right now is real...Reading books and working from home is only fun for so long.

I'm going to do Lindstrom next. Hopefully this upcoming week. I did notice Lindstrom at times watching the Panthers game and a negative about Lindstrom's game is that he can be had with a bull rush and pushed back. I'd like to see him anchor better/get lower and do some squats this offseason.

18 hours ago, etherdome said:

OK.  I have been working long hours and I am a bit sophomoric, but here it goes.

If Gono runs well, in latin, he can be called Gonorhea.  

Arrrgggghhhh. My coffee-sprayed key board and monitor say Dam YOU for that! :lol:

On 3/30/2020 at 1:35 AM, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Two biggest negatives are his lateral quickness on outside runs and getting further into the second level after that good initial burst

Could be why he can't get on the field. Dimi's struggled trying to build an NFL offensive line. Doled out $80M to a bottom rated line in 2019.

He didn't get much run last year because he dealt with a back injury the first half of the year.  Put him behind the 8ball and didn't really see him until the last few games of the season.  Most of his snaps were good if not dominate...

5 minutes ago, gHost83 said:

He didn't get much run last year because he dealt with a back injury the first half of the year.  Put him behind the 8ball and didn't really see him until the last few games of the season.  Most of his snaps were good if not dominate...

And could be our only answer at LG. With Carpenter, Brown and some low round draft pick. Troffed.