Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FalconsIn2012

Scouting Report: Chaisson vs Young

I’ll be honest, Chaisson has the more intriguing evaluation 

Player X:

PROS: Lean, muscular build engineered for playing 4-3 defensive end. Powerful, physical and disciplined run defender. Sets firm edges and process the run very  well. Extremely comfortably stepping down, taking on pullers and squeezing gaps. Keeps working his hand fits throughout each rep to control blockers. Pass rushing skill set is elite. Fluid release out of his stance with rapid accelerating while generally anticipating the snap well. Works his feet and upper body to draw offensive tackles out of their pass sets, creating rush angles and favorable opportunities to attack the pocket. Quickly eats up turf with his stride, but also knows how to vary his steps to set up his rush plan. Impressive moments where he gets to half man when the blocker thinks he’s square. Has the flexibility needed to reduce his surface area and corner. Understands rush angles. Hand work and rush variety is incredible. Has no shortage of combos and he always has a plan. Each game is a showcase of that variety and he’s effective with dip/rip, chop/swim, long-arm stabs, club/rip, cross/chop, speed-to-power, lift and straight speed rush. Snatch and push/pull are also present. Fluid in coverage drops with a clear understanding of his landmarks and spacing. Effortless change of direction ability and he easily flows laterally towards the sideline. 

CONS: Player X can do a better job with his pad level in some reps. There are instances where he pops straight up out of his stance. Other times he’s upright by step three of his rush. If he’s dropping in coverage, it’s easy to pick up based on his stance; weight is all almost all back on his feet and stance can be frog-like. 

Player Y:

First Step Explosiveness - Folks. This dude has rocket shoes, a jet pack or something else strapped on him. Explosiveness is top shelf and on reps where he's pressing for the edge he'll command length and clean feet to challenge him. He's sudden in space, too. Upfield drive step out of his 2 or 3 pt. stance gains a ton of ground. 

Hand Technique/Length - His hand fits setting the edge against the run are excellent. Shows ability to lock out and get a firm stab on the numbers. He's coming along nicely in his ability to play with finesse as well. There's plenty of room to grow but the arrow points up for execution — got better here throughout the season. 

Pass Rush Counters - Long arm, speed to power, double sweep and rip and dip are where he's most effective off the edge. Needs to develop another counter pre-contact and would love to see some more versatility to work inside. He has successfully flashed inside spin and came on strong with it throughout 2019 season to icepick and seal OTs. 

Flexibility - Surreal body control, both in space and around the edge. Surface reduction/lower body tilt can get **** near parallel to ground. He's very loose through the hips and lower half to plant/drive with quickness or open against momentum. Still working on getting inside foot to catch at steep angles on outside. 

Run Defending - His awareness is really strong and he pairs it with good gap discipline. Doesn't give up the edge with leverage. Sense to filter through traffic and use his hands to work through bodies to find the football are strong. Good balance to play off of contact and challenge as a tackler. He's super technical challenging pullers or turnout blocks. 

Competitive Toughness - This. Motor. Runs. HOT. Love his competitive spirit and effort to work back into plays on the back side. Peels back into the pocket if the QB flushes and has found second effort production. He's stout with angles — not a true boomer in in-line alignments but he's also got some room to grow on his frame too, which is a scary thought. 

Tackling - Explosive closing burst and a violent finisher. He'll hunt the football too when he's afforded the opportunity. Shows good length and good consistency as a wrap up tackler. Will make some plays he has no business making with his tackle radius and range thanks to short area agility. 

Lateral Mobility - He's got to be a little cleaner when he's put in a bind on the edge, he can be a little ambitious to work upfield in space before flipping to open to the boundary. His inside stunts are elite and offer plenty of fluidity, contact balance and burst to crash through A-gaps. His mirror skills or range to drive inside are A+. 

Stand Up Ability - How many guys of this stature do you know that successfully play jam in the slot or man up on TEs in the red zone? He's one of them. Pretty rare athlete with the versatility he brings to the table based on formations and personnel. Explosive burst out of a two-point stance as a rusher off the edge. 

Football IQ - Despite less than 30 games played, he's impressive with how much was put on his plate in 2019. He's coming along with his hand counters and rush consistency to set up OTs for successful first challenges at contact. Run defending IQ is through the roof and he's a natural/comfortable mover when flexed out of the POA.  

When Raheem Morris was the Head coach and Defensive Coordinator of the TB Buccaneers.

Black moved to the weak side with Heyward joining the lineup at strong side. "We needed some better play out of the (weak-side) linebacker position," Morris said. “The weak side is a much more production-friendly position than the Sam."

Y is Kyle Crabbs scouting report on Chaisson. I know he's super high on Chaisson. He was very high on Brian Burns last year as well (had a top 5 grade on him) and I think there is a lot of similarities in their game. Crabbs does seem to gravitate towards versatile speed rushers. 

Am I the only one that doesn't see the infatuation with Chiasson?

He's not really good at anything. Murray's skill set is much more desirable to me. He's got more tackles just this season than Chiasson does his entire career. His TFL this season almost match Chiasson's career totals. He's got the same amount of career sacks as Chiasson too. 

For a guy people are calling "the missing piece" Chiasson has a disturbing lack of quantitative production. Did I mention he also had an ACL tear in 2018? 

He's just about the same size as Murray as well. I think Chaisson can be a great player, but I just don't see why a guy with the measurable and performace that Murray has is being pushed down the board. 

50 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

Y is Kyle Crabbs scouting report on Chaisson. I know he's super high on Chaisson. He was very high on Brian Burns last year as well (had a top 5 grade on him) and I think there is a lot of similarities in their game. Crabbs does seem to gravitate towards versatile speed rushers. 

Burns had a very legit and under appreciated rookie year.  Recorded a sack in all but 4 games and averaged 1.5 QB hits per game

11 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Am I the only one that doesn't see the infatuation with Chiasson?

He's not really good at anything. Murray's skill set is much more desirable to me. He's got more tackles just this season than Chiasson does his entire career. His TFL this season almost match Chiasson's career totals. He's got the same amount of career sacks as Chiasson too. 

For a guy people are calling "the missing piece" Chiasson has a disturbing lack of quantitative production. Did I mention he also had an ACL tear in 2018? 

He's just about the same size as Murray as well. I think Chaisson can be a great player, but I just don't see why a guy with the measurable and performace that Murray has is being pushed down the board. 

Murray is a blitzing lb alas Patrick Willis....coverage sucks *** big time.

He may be a better blitzer that is about it.

Yes Chaisson got injured in 18.

What he do this year besides lead the defense of the LSU to a national championship.. don't get the number 18 for nothing.

Where was Murray against LSU.... non existent....where was Chaisson everywhere.

And just to make my case more valid even with an injury history Chaisson could go top 10.....People have to justify why to take Murray at 16.

Chaisson will go top 10 or be a falcon...Murray may go late 1st

50 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

What he do this year besides lead the defense of the LSU to a national championship.. don't get the number 18 for nothing.

And just to make my case more valid even with an injury history Chaisson could go top 10.....People have to justify why to take Murray at 16.

Great post.  Spot on.

Chaisson’s final 4 games vs elite competition each week was obscene.  “In those games he recorded 20 pressures, five sacks, four hits, 11 hurries, 4.5 tackles for loss and 18 tackles. Because of that strong finish to the season combined with anticipated great combine numbers, Chaisson could set himself up as a first round draft pick.”

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Great post.  Spot on.

Chaisson’s final 4 games vs elite competition each week was obscene.  “In those games he recorded 20 pressures, five sacks, four hits, 11 hurries, 4.5 tackles for loss and 18 tackles. Because of that strong finish to the season combined with anticipated great combine numbers, Chaisson could set himself up as a first round draft pick.”

Exactly with an injury..sort of the same reason I wouldn't be mad if they traded up for Ross Blacklock. Back in the 1st round Injury history but produce.

Edited by GATXBOI

59 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

Define "leading" because that defense had a heck of a lot of talent on it. He didn't really lead in anything but sacks....and that was by a slim margin. 

The guy has talent and is a jack of all trades. But he doesn't excel at any one thing. Players at the next level need to have a definitive strength. What's his?

Murray is an attacking LB that makes plays coming downhill. I also greatly disagree with his coverage "sucking" as you put it. That's a huge over exaggeration. I don't see much coverage coming from K'Lavon's tape at all. 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Define "leading" because that defense had a heck of a lot of talent on it. He didn't really lead in anything but sacks....and that was by a slim margin. 

The guy has talent and is a jack of all trades. But he doesn't excel at any one thing. Players at the next level need to have a definitive strength. What's his?

Murray is an attacking LB that makes plays coming downhill. I also greatly disagree with his coverage "sucking" as you put it. That's a huge over exaggeration. I don't see much coverage coming from K'Lavon's tape at all. 

He was a leader on the team not just stats. You said it best a Jack of all trades that what we need someone to cover the run, cover te ,rb, and  wr plus rush the passer. Alas Isaiah Simmons.

Top three candidates to replace Campbell 

Simmons Chaisson Baun..period anybody else has to be coached in one or more areas rather its coverage,runplay or passrush

Bringing in Murray is just a better blitzing Campbell...no run defense no covering te and rb

Just to set this debate in stone. 

Chaisson is so diverse we can make him a starting LB or DE...if starting DE we got Neal for the "Murray" role...If starting LB still got Neal and pick up someone like Anae Grennard taylor Kareem- True Edge in the 3rd.

Now Chaisson is a swiss knife. Put him anywhere just like Simmons. You can't do this with Murray. Right now in this league Murray is a run stopper till proven otherwise

Edited by GATXBOI

8 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

He was a leader on the team not just stats. You said it best a Jack of all trades that what we need someone to cover the run, cover te ,rb, and  wr plus rush the passer. Alas Isaiah Simmons.

Simmons Chaisson Baun..period anybody else has to be coached in one or more areas rather its coverage,runplay or passrush

Bringing in Murray is just a better blitzing Campbell...no run defense no covering te and rb

Uche could also do quite well as our SAM.  I really am high on him

4 hours ago, GATXBOI said:

X: Chase Young

Y: K'Lavon Chaisson 

Chaisson is what 1 of the two puzzle pieces we need to fortify the front seven the other is any of the pass rushing DT in the draft. 

Chaisson Winfield Jnr or Blacklock gimme 2 outta 3 I think they help us big time.

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Great post.  Spot on.

Cometh the man Cometh thee hour it’s why I don’t have a worry about the production argument when it’s spoken about Chaisson.Hes a big time player the bigger the stage the more this guy steps foward.It confirms for me if he’s there at 16 it’s a hard pass.Got a sneaking suspicion like the OP has posted he may well move into the 10.

2 hours ago, GATXBOI said:

This is nuts, Murray is an excellent sideline to sideline lber and can definitely cover. 

1 minute ago, Osiruz said:

This is nuts, Murray is an excellent sideline to sideline lber and can definitely cover. 

Did you watch Oklahoma vs LSU Texas Baylor 2x when the moment was big he didn't capitalize.. can you say that about Chaisson that is my arguement 

I would be shocked if Chaisson makes it to us. He is the type of player that always  gets picked earlier than expected. With offenses getting smarter about setting up match ups, you need guys with the versatility to play the run, cover te/wr, or rush the passer. Chaisson checks all those boxes with his elite athleticism. I am not opposed to trading up for him. Him and Simmons are my favorite players in the draft.

11 minutes ago, Jpg428gggg said:

I would be shocked if Chaisson makes it to us. He is the type of player that always  gets picked earlier than expected. With offenses getting smarter about setting up match ups, you need guys with the versatility to play the run, cover te/wr, or rush the passer. Chaisson checks all those boxes with his elite athleticism. I am not opposed to trading up for him. Him and Simmons are my favorite players in the draft.

I think the draft will fall to us and we are going to have to choose between Chaisson and a team wanting a QB wr or ot someone will want that 16 spot if we don't use it.

Go to look at alot of the top teams they are rebuilding. I'm only worry about the jets and raiders when it comes to Chaisson 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GATXBOI said:

Just to set this debate in stone. 

Chaisson is so diverse we can make him a starting LB or DE...if starting DE we got Neal for the "Murray" role...If starting LB still got Neal and pick up someone like Anae Grennard taylor Kareem- True Edge in the 3rd.

Now Chaisson is a swiss knife. Put him anywhere just like Simmons. You can't do this with Murray. Right now in this league Murray is a run stopper till proven otherwise

I hate to go back and forth, but I think you're making some very outlandish statements in regards to K'Lavon's abilities. He's not proven to be half the LB that Murray has. Again, Murray has more tackle THIS season than Chiasson's entire career. Same amount of PDs this season as Chaisson's career too. Let that sink in a bit. Also saying he's the "leader" of a defense with Delpit, the Thorpe award winner, AND Patrick Queen, a likely 1st Rd pick, is difficult to believe. Not to mention Stingley and Fulton who were 1 and 2 in the SEC in Pass Deflections making it tough to find any open receivers. Throw in JaCoby Stevens just for good measure. That defense was LOADED. 

What exactly makes Chaisson the leader?

You can make a solid case that Chaisson was the beneficiary of being surrounded by top notch talent. Everyone I named is either going to be a 1st or 2nd rounder this year or in the coming years. That's an overwhelming amount of talent. 

Murray however was the unquestioned leader of his defense. 

Edited by MD-FalconFan13

18 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

Give me Chiasson at 16 Arnette at 47 and Elliot at 78

Then Alex Highsmith Round 4

But we likely have no safeties under contract in 2021 (if Rico is cap casualty), so safety should be addressed twice in this draft.  If we can get Winnfield Rd 2 and JR Reed late I’m thrilled

2 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

I think the draft will fall to us and we are going to have to choose between Chaisson and a team wanting a QB wr or ot someone will want that 16 spot if we don't use it.

Go to look at alot of the top teams they are rebuilding. I'm only worry about the jets and raiders when it comes to Chaisson 

If Hebert drops to 16th, the Patriots may call us.  They could give us two of their three 3rd round picks along with 23rd overall

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

I hate to go back and forth, but I think you're making some very outlandish statements in regards to K'Lavon's abilities. He's not proven to be half the LB that Murray has. Again, Murray has more tackle THIS season than Chiasson's entire career. Let that sink in a bit. Also saying he's the "leader" of a defense with Delpit, the Thorpe award winner, AND Patrick Queen, a likely 1st Rd pick, is difficult to believe. Not to mention Stingley and Fulton who were 1 and 2 in the SEC in Pass Deflections making it tough to find any open receivers. Throw in JaCoby Stevens just for good measure. That defense was LOADED. 

What exactly makes Chaisson the leader?

You can make a solid case that Chaisson was the beneficiary of being surrounded by top notch talent. Everyone I named is either going to be a 1st or 2nd rounder this year or in the coming years. That's an overwhelming amount of talent. 

Murray however was the unquestioned leader of his defense. 

As for talent everyone surrounding murray who is going to the draft is going 1st or 2nd round.

That's it with murray he is only label as a lb.

Chiasson was definitely a leader on that defense that's one of the reasons he wore the number 18

You are right murray does have more tackles. Chaisson did get hurt but he came back so hard and still might go top 10 period....can you seriously say that about murray NO he may go top 20-40

Edited by GATXBOI

4 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

If Hebert drops to 16th, the Patriots may call us.  They could give us two of their three 3rd round picks along with 23rd overall

Right then Baun or YGM will be a falcon