For Fun: What if we'd tanked draft-share your picks!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a jerk post. As a general rule of thumb, one should avoid being a bigger, grinchier poster than me. You failed at that. Now, to answer the thread question: at #4 I would try to trade up to #

Well done, Papa. Thanks for the memories. The old codgers are still out here and will spank....Thank you Papa...   Keep your cars locked and your women and children inside the house....

He's not. Has a long ways to go

4 hours ago, papachaz said:

ummm, if you're referring to me, and I'm most assured you are, I can guarantee you I was dammmm far from 'losing my ****' to say tanking doesn't exist. 

I'll offer you the same challenge genius, go find ANY professional ball player who know their jobs depend on winning and losing and find out if they would even consider tanking. Not to even consider their personal pride

I may not be a genius, but I am able to argue a point without putting words in people's mouths.

Can you show me where I said a "professional ball player" would have the incentive to tank?

I clearly said this is something that only a front office with the support of the owner can do.

And even disregarding recent evidence like the Miami Dolphins, any fan of the NBA would know that tanking is absolutely real in professional sports.

well let's see, since the whole thread was ABOUT professional football players, more specifically, the Falcons professional football players, that would be automatically inferred in any following discussion. So you didn't HAVE to specifically say professional ball player, it was already the topic of discussion.

I don't follow the NBA, so I have no idea what you're talking about there, except that you believe a group of guys who've played this sport their wholes lives and dreamed of getting to this level,  along with the organization as a whole, give up their manhood and pride to do what ever it takes to lose on purpose, just so they can get a better pick in a draft? the whole premise is just laughable. 

as for your 'recent evidence of the Dolphins'....so a team that's recently changed leadership, cuts, or trades away, players brought in by the previous 'leadership' so they can replace them with their own guys, means they're losing on purpose?

so that's what Chip Kelly did in Philly a few years ago? or Gruden with the Raiders now? or or or....the list goes on a ways.

again, you'll never convince me that anyone who plays a sport their whole life and dreams of making the 'big league' will ever go along with losing on purpose just so the team can get a 'higher' draft pick (who might not even be a good player when it's all said and done)  

I just don't buy it

6 minutes ago, papachaz said:

well let's see, since the whole thread was ABOUT professional football players, more specifically, the Falcons professional football players, that would be automatically inferred in any following discussion. So you didn't HAVE to specifically say professional ball player, it was already the topic of discussion.

I don't follow the NBA, so I have no idea what you're talking about there, except that you believe a group of guys who've played this sport their wholes lives and dreamed of getting to this level,  along with the organization as a whole, give up their manhood and pride to do what ever it takes to lose on purpose, just so they can get a better pick in a draft? the whole premise is just laughable. 

as for your 'recent evidence of the Dolphins'....so a team that's recently changed leadership, cuts, or trades away, players brought in by the previous 'leadership' so they can replace them with their own guys, means they're losing on purpose?

so that's what Chip Kelly did in Philly a few years ago? or Gruden with the Raiders now? or or or....the list goes on a ways.

again, you'll never convince me that anyone who plays a sport their whole life and dreams of making the 'big league' will ever go along with losing on purpose just so the team can get a 'higher' draft pick (who might not even be a good player when it's all said and done)  

I just don't buy it

The OP asked which players should we pick if we had the number 4 pick in the draft. Even he didn't say that the Falcons players could have decided to lose in purpose to get a higher draft pick, so you repeating the point that they wouldn't do that is...perplexing. 

And I really don't see how I am trying to "convince" you that any professional athlete is trying to lose games, I really don't see anywhere where I wrote that.

I personally see a coach resting his starters for the playoffs as an incredibly immediate form of tanking. You are sacrificing your chances to win a game that doesn't matter for your future goal of winning a championship. There are people who have decided that doing anything other than trying to win every game each season violates their sense of sportsmanship, but even they usually agree that in certain cases like preseason or right before the playoffs, winning the next game isn't the most important thing.

Once again, not implying the players having anything to do with making those decisions in case I didn't make that clear.

5 hours ago, papachaz said:

wow, if we're now allowed to call people what we think they are in spite of the CoC I have a LONG list I need to get busy on. You asked 'what if',  I gave my scenario. you said "for fun" being an obnoxious ^&&  IS fun, I just saw your thread and ran with the most basic of premise that I saw.:tiphat:

I see also in that post that you're one of those who believe every word of every announcer on every network. 

go ask those players if they 'tanked' and see what answer you get. I take pride in my obnoxious assieness, so there! 

whoa whoa whoa.....you haven't been around here anywhere NEAR long enough to try to claim you're the biggest grinchiest poster here. Back up a bit there young buck, there are some of us here you can't hold a candle to, and we take PRIDE in our big grinchiness jerk posts. Because some posters just post to see us do it. 

go get a few more years posting and refining your craft, then come back and offer up the challenge

@ya_boi_j

@Ezekiel 25:17

@RING OF HONOR

@Tim Mazetti

@octoslash

and there are TONS more, but y'all believe this dude thinks he's all that? 

:lol::lol::lol:

Well done, Papa. Thanks for the memories.

The old codgers are still out here and will spank....Thank you Papa...

Keep your cars locked and your women and children inside the house.......

@Vandy

@RING OF HONOR, @ya_boi_j, @octoslash, @Ezekiel 25:17 @vel, , @HASHBROWN3

7 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Well done, Papa. Thanks for the memories.

The old codgers are still out here and will spank....Thank you Papa...

Keep your cars locked and your women and children inside the house.......

@Vandy

@RING OF HONOR, @ya_boi_j, @octoslash, @Ezekiel 25:17 @vel, , @HASHBROWN3

that ole saying 'we outchea' still means somethin  ;)

6 hours ago, papachaz said:

.you haven't been around here anywhere NEAR long enough

I was around before the Duckett vs. Dunn flame wars. I was here when Vick was still good. I was here when Johnnybuc was a regular. When Rev Hal was still a regular. When Bama was a regular.

STFU and GTFO. And I mean that with all the respect you're due. :tiphat:

Well a schits and giggles thread sure brought out some total dbags yelling get off my lawn.

I am trading down...

1st) Been seeing Brown fall in mocks so wishful thinking he’s there around 10. Kinlaw otherwise.

2nd) Delpit has been falling but he would be fantastic in centerfield. 

2nd) Diggs if using a 4th to move up is necessary then do it.

3rd) Willie Gay, the next KJ Wright

4th) Van Jefferson- His routes are some of the best in a top WR class. His size, speed, and blocking ability limit his upside so I believe he can fall to this point in a studly WR class. 

13 hours ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

I was around before the Duckett vs. Dunn flame wars. I was here when Vick was still good. I was here when Johnnybuc was a regular. When Rev Hal was still a regular. When Bama was a regular.

STFU and GTFO. And I mean that with all the respect you're due. :tiphat:

:lol::tiphat:

either you've changed names, and of course lost thousands of posts with board changes through the years, or you lurk a lot more than post. I was going strictly off post count, since 'join date' for most of us says 1969, LOL  

so I'll just be takin with whatever amount of respect I think I deserve then, which normally wouldn't be much, but since we talkin about grinchiness, that means a lot to me

:lol::lol:

I'm a believer that going 7-9, 8-8, and 9-7 is a purgatory of not being a contender and not being bad enough to land you picks to get difference makers to become a contender, but the way this draft is looking Chase Young is the only true difference maker that would help the Falcons that much and no amount of tanking was going to get a team with this kind of talent the #2 overall pick so who cares now. 

I opened this thread when it first started and saw all of the butthurt throughout.  3 days later and the butthurt is still rampant.

The guy made a hypothetical thread and people got in their feelings.  The question is simply asking what if we had a higher draft pick.  Calm tf down. 

1 hour ago, KRUNKuno said:

I opened this thread when it first started and saw all of the butthurt throughout.  3 days later and the butthurt is still rampant.

The guy made a hypothetical thread and people got in their feelings.  The question is simply asking what if we had a higher draft pick.  Calm tf down. 

By my best judgement & understanding what sort of people lay down in a battle, I’d venture to guess those would be the only type of sissies who’d get butt hurt amigo.  ;)

On 3/28/2020 at 3:31 PM, ket222 said:

Like many of you (perhaps the silent majority?) I am an admitted tanker.  While I'm surprised how well our FA choices have looked and think we can get a good first rounder at 16, this team needed both a new head coach (who can make changes mid way through games) and a boatload of great draft picks to have any chance at being elite.  Imagine for a moment if we had both a great new coach and picked within the top 5 for the draft.  The excitement would be real-I personally pretty much lost interest in the second half of the season and that's never happened before.  This is NOT a debate tanking vs. non-tanking thread!  I don't know lots about the draft, as I'm just a typical fan.  I'm looking to the experts here to become GMs for a day and share your strategies.

A couple scenarios.  Let's say we have the 4th pick in the draft.  Who would you pick or would you draft back and pick up additional picks?  It appears that there are several teams that would trade up and sacrifice a lot to get one of the top QBs.  Would a Robert Griffen trade back be possible (You know the trade. In an effort to acquire Robert Griffin III, the Washington Redskins traded three first-round picks and a second-round selection for the St. Louis Rams' No. 2 overall selection)? 

Option 1: pick at 4 - Okudah or Brown.  What would your choice be?

Option 2: trade back to around 10.  Pick 4 is worth 1800.  Pick 10 is worth 1300.  Get an extra high second rounder (500).  Maybe get Kinlaw?

Option 3: trade back for a team desperate for a QB and willing to overpay (not quite so much as the R Griffen deal but an extra high second, third and next year's second).  what would be a realistic trade with what team and what could we get for it?

Add who you would select for the second and third rounds, including extra picks if we trade back.  Any ideas?

Honestly, I could see it that if we had tanked, and gotten this high of a pick, the naysayers would be out in full force to not only get rid of Matt Ryan, but to draft his replacement, which includes trading up for Burrows or staying put for Tua or similar.  I hate the idea of tanking and I know this was all in good fun, but IMO this idea has a lot more attached to it then just changing with draft pick we choose at.

2 hours ago, federicofalcon2 said:

1) Honestly, I could see it that if we had tanked, and gotten this high of a pick, the naysayers would be out in full force to not only get rid of Matt Ryan, but to draft his replacement, which includes trading up for Burrows or staying put for Tua or similar. 

2) I hate the idea of tanking and I know this was all in good fun, but IMO this idea has a lot more attached to it then just changing with draft pick we choose at.

1) The naysayers can't change the realities of the salary cap, contracts, and dead-money. No matter who wants to ship Matt Ryan, no matter how badly they want to do it, no matter how justified they are or are not in wanting to do so--- Matt Ryan is untradeable for a couple of years at least.

2) The concept of tanking was not the topic. If Quinn hadn't taken his incompetent self out of the defensive coordinator role, the result would have been a tank--- intended or not.

8 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

1) The naysayers can't change the realities of the salary cap, contracts, and dead-money. No matter who wants to ship Matt Ryan, no matter how badly they want to do it, no matter how justified they are or are not in wanting to do so--- Matt Ryan is untradeable for a couple of years at least.

2) The concept of tanking was not the topic. If Quinn hadn't taken his incompetent self out of the defensive coordinator role, the result would have been a tank--- intended or not.

Naysayers can't change ANYTHING about ANYTHING other than their own opinion, but each day we still get the demands for us to obliterate this team from top to bottom, so that doesn't make my point wrong, nor does it make it right, it just means that it would be the likely scenario played out getting a draft pick that high.

I may have not stated it, but I knew it wasn't the main focus (tanking) of the post, but, I merely stated it the way that I did because it would be the only way we get to the point in question of having a top 5 pick.

So in response to your recent response to mine, NO PLAYER is untradeable.  Things always find a way to work themselves out if necessary.

But the issue I was getting at, was that people would be comfortable getting rid of him for an unknown player based merely on  his college credentials, which has shown plenty of times not to be 100 percent valid.

19 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

I know that wasn't what he was asking, he was asking for who would we get and which direction would we go with picks accrued by not winning out last year.

I just stated how I felt getting a pick that high would not be the best case scenario for this team because it would lead to totally different scenarios instead of the one we are at now.  Being at 4 would have changed the team direction dramatically from being at 16.  Players and coaches would more than likely not be the same in most considerations.

3 hours ago, federicofalcon2 said:

I know that wasn't what he was asking, he was asking for who would we get and which direction would we go with picks accrued by not winning out last year.

I just stated how I felt getting a pick that high would not be the best case scenario for this team because it would lead to totally different scenarios instead of the one we are at now.  Being at 4 would have changed the team direction dramatically from being at 16.  Players and coaches would more than likely not be the same in most considerations.

Totally different scenarios like--- drafting Simmons, or Brown, or possibly even trading up just a few spots for Young? Or scenarios like being able to trade back a few spots with a team looking for whatever QB is at our tanked-pick, pick up more picks, and still draft earlier than our current pick?

Yeah--- those scenarios would just suck.

11 hours ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

Totally different scenarios like--- drafting Simmons, or Brown, or possibly even trading up just a few spots for Young? Or scenarios like being able to trade back a few spots with a team looking for whatever QB is at our tanked-pick, pick up more picks, and still draft earlier than our current pick?

Yeah--- those scenarios would just suck.

LMAO, I never said they would "suck"

But ok, you and your tunnel vision can have a nice day.  No worries buddy.