For Fun: What if we'd tanked draft-share your picks!

Like many of you (perhaps the silent majority?) I am an admitted tanker.  While I'm surprised how well our FA choices have looked and think we can get a good first rounder at 16, this team needed both a new head coach (who can make changes mid way through games) and a boatload of great draft picks to have any chance at being elite.  Imagine for a moment if we had both a great new coach and picked within the top 5 for the draft.  The excitement would be real-I personally pretty much lost interest in the second half of the season and that's never happened before.  This is NOT a debate tanking vs. non-tanking thread!  I don't know lots about the draft, as I'm just a typical fan.  I'm looking to the experts here to become GMs for a day and share your strategies.

A couple scenarios.  Let's say we have the 4th pick in the draft.  Who would you pick or would you draft back and pick up additional picks?  It appears that there are several teams that would trade up and sacrifice a lot to get one of the top QBs.  Would a Robert Griffen trade back be possible (You know the trade. In an effort to acquire Robert Griffin III, the Washington Redskins traded three first-round picks and a second-round selection for the St. Louis Rams' No. 2 overall selection)? 

Option 1: pick at 4 - Okudah or Brown.  What would your choice be?

Option 2: trade back to around 10.  Pick 4 is worth 1800.  Pick 10 is worth 1300.  Get an extra high second rounder (500).  Maybe get Kinlaw?

Option 3: trade back for a team desperate for a QB and willing to overpay (not quite so much as the R Griffen deal but an extra high second, third and next year's second).  what would be a realistic trade with what team and what could we get for it?

Add who you would select for the second and third rounds, including extra picks if we trade back.  Any ideas?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a jerk post. As a general rule of thumb, one should avoid being a bigger, grinchier poster than me. You failed at that. Now, to answer the thread question: at #4 I would try to trade up to #

Well done, Papa. Thanks for the memories. The old codgers are still out here and will spank....Thank you Papa...   Keep your cars locked and your women and children inside the house....

He's not. Has a long ways to go

not sure why you have to be an obnoxious ^&&** about it.  I specifically said this wasn't a tank vs non tank thread.  are you truly saying no tanking has ever occurred?  all year long I heard the experts say the dolphins were tanking (on nfl channel, espn) by letting go of some of their best players (their great OT for example) and trying to draft tua   it may be that players don't want to tank but organizations might and other threads have mentioned how this might be done--playing their top players less because of "fear of injury" etc. 

I thought it would be interesting to see what we'd do if we had  a  top 5 pick

4 hours ago, papachaz said:

what if.....

what if I hit the lottery and buy the rights to the message board so I can ban anyone dumb enough to think a professional ball player is in anyway going to 'tank' a season

since it's a 'what if' thread and all

:tiphat:

What a jerk post. As a general rule of thumb, one should avoid being a bigger, grinchier poster than me. You failed at that.

Now, to answer the thread question: at #4 I would try to trade up to #2 for Chase Young as my first option.

Barring that I would sit at take option 2 and trade back to #10 and regain our second 2nd rounder. At #10 I would target CJ Henderson in the first, then a Gallimore/Davidson/Madibuike type DT along with a Center like Biadasz or Ruiz with the newly acquired second-rounder.

I knew I was taking a chance with posting this.  No problem if people don't want to jump in.  There is a book called What If of articles by well known historians with questions like "What if D Day had failed?"  Or "What if the british soldier who had Washington in his sights had chosen to shoot?"  I happen to find these questions interesting, and am tired of the innumerable "we will pick Chaisson or Kenlaw" posts.  It's a boring time of the year so I tried to mix it up. 

It's impractical and unrealistic I know, given our situation.  But what it does point to is the idea that we'd be in a much better potential position if our organization (Blank, coaches etc) had decided to go another direction than win meaningless games at all costs.  I could only afford to take my daughter to one game this year against the Titans, and we just looked awful--it's left a bad taste in my mouth ever since and I remain unconvinced Blank is willing to do everything needed to get back to a super bowl.  don't want to open a can of worms here, so please don't make this a tanking debate

I have no problems with closing the thread if there is no interest in the original question.  Just wish guys here would be open to ideas and not so reflexively defensive or jerky  thank you for your comment Roanoke Falcon

8 hours ago, ket222 said:

not sure why you have to be an obnoxious ^&&** about it.  I specifically said this wasn't a tank vs non tank thread.  are you truly saying no tanking has ever occurred?  all year long I heard the experts say the dolphins were tanking (on nfl channel, espn) by letting go of some of their best players (their great OT for example) and trying to draft tua   it may be that players don't want to tank but organizations might and other threads have mentioned how this might be done--playing their top players less because of "fear of injury" etc. 

Not in the way you think.  Teams that decide to tank usually fire their coach and all of their good players.  It  means being bad for at least 3 to 5 years.  It usually lasts longer though.

I’m bored, I will play along...If we already had pick 4 I would take trade down(s) as follows...keep in mind all picks slide back one spot if we were 4.

1- Burrow, CIN

2- Young, WAS

3- Okudah, DET

4- Tua, MIA (ATL gets MIA #6, #26, gives #4, #37) - trade back w MIA who’s not risking missing their QB of the future

5- Becton, NYG

6- Wirfs, CLE - (ATL gets #11, 42; CLE gets #6)- trade back w CLE who is desperate for new LT, jumping the OT needy chargers. 

***assume Brown, Simmons go in next 5 picks.

ATL Drafts

#11 - Kinlaw, DT, SCAR

#26 - Queen, OLB, LSU

#42 - Diggs, CB, Bama

You brought tanking into the topic, then you get mad when people talk about it.

You brought this on yourself 

If you really wanted to do this without talking about tanking then you should have never brought it up to begin with and asked who we would take if we could pick anyone we wanted or who our favorite player in the draft is. Those threads are made all the time, but if you bring a topic, especially a hot topic, into a thread, expect people to respond accordingly.

There were plenty of ways to make this thread without bringing tanking into it.

except we never would have had the 4th pick without tanking!

I'd take 1989 Fan's picks any day over what we will end up with. 

I agree I shouldn't have been so sensitive though, I really didn't mean to make it controversial and was trying something different from "those threads made all the time"  A thought experiment with an underlying point--without bold long term thinking (and risk taking) Blank will never produce what we all want.  I think it will be a good draft, but we probably need better than good if we want to do more than Blank's attitude of just needing to make the playoffs   like I said I am impressed with our FAs and hope they reach their potential

54 minutes ago, hjerry said:

If you really wanted to do this without talking about tanking then you should have never brought it up to begin with and asked who we would take if we could pick anyone we wanted or who our favorite player in the draft is. Those threads are made all the time, but if you bring a topic, especially a hot topic, into a thread, expect people to respond accordingly.

Dude calm down, he's making a lighthearted thread asking what people's picks would be, and a couple of people are losing their **** to say tanking doesn't exist.

If we decided to trade Austin Hooper and Trufant for thirds given our performance before the trade deadline, I would have considered the front office absolutely to be tanking. This could only happen with Arthur Blank on board, because he would have to assure TD and Quinn their jobs were safe for a year regardless of the team's final record.

For the actual thread topic :At 4 I would seek to trade down to about where we are, and hopefully have another 1st rounder next year. If Kinlaw is gone at 16, I'd still trade down and try to get more picks next year.

2 hours ago, FalconAge said:

Dude calm down, he's making a lighthearted thread asking what people's picks would be, and a couple of people are losing their **** to say tanking doesn't exist.

If we decided to trade Austin Hooper and Trufant for thirds given our performance before the trade deadline, I would have considered the front office absolutely to be tanking. This could only happen with Arthur Blank on board, because he would have to assure TD and Quinn their jobs were safe for a year regardless of the team's final record.

For the actual thread topic :At 4 I would seek to trade down to about where we are, and hopefully have another 1st rounder next year. If Kinlaw is gone at 16, I'd still trade down and try to get more picks next year.

I am calm. I addressed the issue at hand. Any inference of anger was on your end.

13 hours ago, ket222 said:

wow, if we're now allowed to call people what we think they are in spite of the CoC I have a LONG list I need to get busy on. You asked 'what if',  I gave my scenario. you said "for fun" being an obnoxious ^&&  IS fun, I just saw your thread and ran with the most basic of premise that I saw.:tiphat:

I see also in that post that you're one of those who believe every word of every announcer on every network. 

go ask those players if they 'tanked' and see what answer you get. I take pride in my obnoxious assieness, so there! 

8 hours ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

What a jerk post. As a general rule of thumb, one should avoid being a bigger, grinchier poster than me. You failed at that.

Now, to answer the thread question: at #4 I would try to trade up to #2 for Chase Young as my first option.

Barring that I would sit at take option 2 and trade back to #10 and regain our second 2nd rounder. At #10 I would target CJ Henderson in the first, then a Gallimore/Davidson/Madibuike type DT along with a Center like Biadasz or Ruiz with the newly acquired second-rounder.

whoa whoa whoa.....you haven't been around here anywhere NEAR long enough to try to claim you're the biggest grinchiest poster here. Back up a bit there young buck, there are some of us here you can't hold a candle to, and we take PRIDE in our big grinchiness jerk posts. Because some posters just post to see us do it. 

go get a few more years posting and refining your craft, then come back and offer up the challenge

@ya_boi_j

@Ezekiel 25:17

@RING OF HONOR

@Tim Mazetti

@octoslash

and there are TONS more, but y'all believe this dude thinks he's all that? 

:lol::lol::lol:

4 minutes ago, papachaz said:

wow, if we're now allowed to call people what we think they are in spite of the CoC I have a LONG list I need to get busy on. You asked 'what if',  I gave my scenario. you said "for fun" being an obnoxious ^&&  IS fun, I just saw your thread and ran with the most basic of premise that I saw.:tiphat:

I see also in that post that you're one of those who believe every word of every announcer on every network. 

go ask those players if they 'tanked' and see what answer you get. I take pride in my obnoxious assieness, so there! 

whoa whoa whoa.....you haven't been around here anywhere NEAR long enough to try to claim you're the biggest grinchiest poster here. Back up a bit there young buck, there are some of us here you can't hold a candle to, and we take PRIDE in our big grinchiness jerk posts. Because some posters just post to see us do it. 

go get a few more years posting and refining your craft, then come back and offer up the challenge

@ya_boi_j

@Ezekiel 25:17

@RING OF HONOR

@Tim Mazetti

@octoslash

and there are TONS more, but y'all believe this dude thinks he's all that? 

:lol::lol::lol:

He's not. Has a long ways to go

2 hours ago, FalconAge said:

ummm, if you're referring to me, and I'm most assured you are, I can guarantee you I was dammmm far from 'losing my ****' to say tanking doesn't exist. 

I'll offer you the same challenge genius, go find ANY professional ball player who know their jobs depend on winning and losing and find out if they would even consider tanking. Not to even consider their personal pride

4 hours ago, hjerry said:

That's generic af tho, numerous people ask that already. " if you could pick anyone in the draft , who would u take"... i hear that so much. Like questions like these better. 

Why is it a hot topic on TATF ?? The team brought this on themselves