Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
32wood84white

Falcons vs Giants 2012

Watching some game pass this morning and I wanted to check out an old game and Falcons vs Giants 2012 came to mind.

A few observations. And if you can, watch it. **** of a game.

Number 1. Mike Smith was a **** of a coach and imo his best attribute was always finding the exact right veteran guys to fit into the team. 

Number 2. Asante Samuel, great addition by TD, picks off Eli on the first third down of the game, everyone’s boy Dirk Koetter comes out and slams the ball down their throat four times in a row for a touchdown.

And number 3. 7-0 we are 3rd and 11 from the Giants 12, automatically I’m expecting  to keep it safe and take the 3 if we have too, Matt says **** it, stares Tony G down, another obviously fantastic addition, and rips it in the end zone ONLY where Tony can get it and of course 6 points and a dunk to go along with it later, the Dome was rocking.

Just a little flashback. I remember it being a great game but **** if I’m not in my living room getting pumped like I never saw it.

2 minutes ago, NOVAFalconFan said:

Picked Eli twice IIRC (Decoud got the other one?) and stopped them on 4th down twice.  Shutout, I think.  And Snelling tore off a long one in the 4th maybe?

Haven’t made it all the way through just yet but Decoud did have a pick. It was a great call, they ran the quick slant at Asante because everyone knew Asante was going to play off and try to bait you. So 2nd and 11 they tried to get some easy yards and Mike Nolan runs Decoud down underneath like he knew it was coming. 

A lot of things to like about DK from this game that makes me hopeful the offense can get going. We receive the ball to start the second half and he’s looking for blood. Two deep balls. One to Roddy that was incomplete and then one to Julio for a TD.

5 minutes ago, EJmusic said:

Bro we beat the dog **** out of them. Perfect payback for that abysmal playoff game the year before.

Oh **** yes we did. Only thing and I mean the only thing I didn’t like about this game was you could see the issues we had vs the run at times.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, NOVAFalconFan said:

That 2012 team was built to stop pocket passers.  We had the misfortune of going back-to-back in the playoffs with two teams perfectly built to beat us.  And Seattle put it all on film for San Fran.

Agreed. Which sucks because I have no doubt we beat the Ravens. Flacco was hot but like you said, we were built to to stop pocket passers.

Edited by 32wood84white

1 minute ago, AustFalcon said:

I was on my honeymoon in St Lucia. We watched it on my phone, I think it was the first game my wife watched in full. The Falcons were so dominant in that game 

Man that’s awesome. Great game for her to watch in full. It was great from beginning to end.

2 hours ago, 32wood84white said:

Mike Smiths greatness and shortcoming imo. He was great at putting veteran guys on his defense to solidify the unit, he wasn’t so great at getting young talent to flourish enough to make the defense top notch. We were always just a step below.

Exactly.  He may have been good at finding the right veteran player to fit in, but it seems like he never gave the young guys a shot and sucked at player development.

3 hours ago, 32wood84white said:

Watching some game pass this morning and I wanted to check out an old game and Falcons vs Giants 2012 came to mind.

A few observations. And if you can, watch it. **** of a game.

Number 1. Mike Smith was a **** of a coach and imo his best attribute was always finding the exact right veteran guys to fit into the team. 

Number 2. Asante Samuel, great addition by TD, picks off Eli on the first third down of the game, everyone’s boy Dirk Koetter comes out and slams the ball down their throat four times in a row for a touchdown.

And number 3. 7-0 we are 3rd and 11 from the Giants 12, automatically I’m expecting  to keep it safe and take the 3 if we have too, Matt says **** it, stares Tony G down, another obviously fantastic addition, and rips it in the end zone ONLY where Tony can get it and of course 6 points and a dunk to go along with it later, the Dome was rocking.

Just a little flashback. I remember it being a great game but **** if I’m not in my living room getting pumped like I never saw it.

My favorite game of that season honestly. Because everyone predicted the Giants were going to expose the Falcons and prove that we were frauds. 34-0....and Roddy calling out all the haters post game. Loved it 

11 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

My favorite game of that season honestly. Because everyone predicted the Giants were going to expose the Falcons and prove that we were frauds. 34-0....and Roddy calling out all the haters post game. Loved it 

Lot of good games that season.  Beat Philly in Philly.  Best for me would have to be the second NO game, though.  Picked Brees 5 times and broke his TD/game streak.

7 hours ago, ATL_666 said:

Exactly.  He may have been good at finding the right veteran player to fit in, but it seems like he never gave the young guys a shot and sucked at player development.

One of the most overblown TATF myths. How bout Ryan, Julio, Grimes, WillyMo, DeCoud, Spoon, Bloodline, Tru, Alf, Lofton, VeeTek, Blalock, Dahl, Peters, Wildwood, Nic, Clabo, Shredder, Weems, Snelling, Beer, Warlock, JopTop, Sackmaker, Haggleman, Brawley, McClain, Stupar, MyCox, MyJohnson, Quizz, King Konz, Lolo, Jelly, Boley, Harry Dougle, Crisp Houston, Crisp Owens, Vance and Chauncey? Not all of em developed well but most did. That's a shtload of young players that Smitty played.

I remember all thee angst on TATF and the vaunted Giants pass rushers coming in here and ripping us a new one.

34-0 later.

One of the best years in Falcon fan hood for me .Another one that got away.

Posted (edited)

Great game!! The other day I watched the Monday night football game with us and the Eagles (2005) on YouTube after they beat us in the playoffs the year before. You can tell the fans and the players were so hyped for revenge in that game. Sent em home with a hurtin!!

Edited by Hard2BaBirdWachr

7 hours ago, 32wood84white said:

Agreed. Which sucks because I have no doubt we beat the Ravens. Flacco was hot but like you said, we were built to to stop pocket passers.

No argument here. Mobile quarterbacks gave them fits but a pocket passer like Flacco having to deal with John Abraham coming off the edge? And don't get me started on what Tony G, Roddy, and Julio would've done to that secondary.

Oh well...

That is the game that made me realize just how full of bullchit pff was.

After the game they just crapped all over the win and said that the falcons just waited for giants to make a mistake rather than play well.

6 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

One of the most overblown TATF myths. How bout Ryan, Julio, Grimes, WillyMo, DeCoud, Spoon, Bloodline, Tru, Alf, Lofton, VeeTek, Blalock, Dahl, Peters, Wildwood, Nic, Clabo, Shredder, Weems, Snelling, Beer, Warlock, JopTop, Sackmaker, Haggleman, Brawley, McClain, Stupar, MyCox, MyJohnson, Quizz, King Konz, Lolo, Jelly, Boley, Harry Dougle, Crisp Houston, Crisp Owens, Vance and Chauncey? Not all of em developed well but most did. That's a shtload of young players that Smitty played.

You might be correct, but that is only a small handful of players you listed considering how long he was in charge for. 7 or 8 years I am guessing?  At the very least we can say he sucked at the player development side for young players.  The young players that grew into being stars during his tenure had skill sets that would have probably led them to be stars no matter where they plated, I don't think it was because him and his staff coached them up.

1 hour ago, ATL_666 said:

You might be correct, but that is only a small handful of players you listed considering how long he was in charge for. 7 or 8 years I am guessing?  At the very least we can say he sucked at the player development side for young players.  The young players that grew into being stars during his tenure had skill sets that would have probably led them to be stars no matter where they plated, I don't think it was because him and his staff coached them up.

A handful of players? That's 40 young players over 7 years, or an average of 6 a year that got playing time. At least 33 of them played well. Nine were Pro Bowlers. Hard to believe Smitty and his staff didn't develop any of em.

13 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

A handful of players? That's 40 young players over 7 years, or an average of 6 a year that got playing time. At least 33 of them played well. Nine were Pro Bowlers. Hard to believe Smitty and his staff didn't develop any of em.

I am saying you only listed a handful of players and half of the ones you listed were mediocre at best.  

I remember that day.  There were some Giants fans 2 rows in front of me.  I didn’t expect them to know, but I knew, that the dome was a little leaky and those seats were targets.   It was rainy that day, so not only did they lose horribly, those fans got rained on too at their seats!