Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FalconsIn2012

D. Watson Being Shopped?

Posted (edited)

If the Texans traded him to NE, they would be digging their own grave. Trading him is stupid. Trading him to the most successful dynasty in NFL history who just so happens to be in your conference is window-licker level stupidity.

Edited by Snafu

(Big) If they would trade him, it would likely have to be to a top 3-5 drafting team to draft his replacement. Maybe if Burrow refuses to play in CIN a swap makes sense? Or send him to MIA, WAS or SD? Fun to come up w mock scenarios...

That said, i agree with whoever said they will **** can O'Brien before they trade away their franchise QB.

Just now, JD dirtybird21 said:

Watson is pretty **** good man. I’d say he’s a top 5 talent in the NFL for QB’s

Man I may be wrong, but he still relies on RPO's, running, having a ground game and good defense. You make him drop back and beat you, he wont do it consistantly. 

Just now, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

Man I may be wrong, but he still relies on RPO's, running, having a ground game and good defense. You make him drop back and beat you, he wont do it consistantly. 

He plays for a terrible organization and terrible head coach. Make no mistake, the talent is there. Put him with an excellent play caller? He could be MVP. If the Chiefs literally swapped Mahomes and Watson, I think Watson is the new Mahomes. 

Just now, JD dirtybird21 said:

He plays for a terrible organization and terrible head coach. Make no mistake, the talent is there. Put him with an excellent play caller? He could be MVP. If the Chiefs literally swapped Mahomes and Watson, I think Watson is the new Mahomes. 

I agree hes talented and could do well in certain places/ schemes. I think Mahomes is the better passer. Dont get me wrong I would take Watson, but would rather have Ryan easily. 

5 minutes ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

I agree hes talented and could do well in certain places/ schemes. I think Mahomes is the better passer. Dont get me wrong I would take Watson, but would rather have Ryan easily. 

Not me man. I’d make the trade in a heartbeat if the money made sense.

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

In fairness, dead money is tradable. Both sides would need to agree to the terms, but it's possible.

It’s not in NFL for past bonuses and guaranteed salaries which didn’t count as part of the cap till now. Future money cap the other team will be on the hook. 
You can’t trade dead cap from previous years.

13 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

It’s not in NFL for past bonuses and guaranteed salaries which didn’t count as part of the cap till now. Future money cap the other team will be on the hook. 
You can’t trade dead cap from previous years.

It's not as simplistic as I may have incidentally made it sound, but just take a look at the Brock Osweiler trade a few years ago to get an idea of what I mean. It's possible to trade that money. Not advocating for it, and it's not likely to be something enticing for other teams, but it's real.

You can't trade dead cap from previous years in the sense that you can't somehow free open more dead cap than you currently have on a player, but it is possible to trade current dead cap.

2 hours ago, Spts1 said:

Reminds me of when Chip Kelly went into Philadelphia and got rid of the core of that team.  Its a agenda with Houston's coach too and Watson wants out of there because of it...

MONKEY RIDING DOG HERDING RAMS from The Wide World of Sports GIFs ...

Weird though because Bill has been there 7 seasons...these are all his people. I’m f Bill doesn’t have a miracle season he is gone. Back to college

If we are doing Watson Vs Ryan, Ryan is the better QB. Especially when it comes to passing. Watson is **** good in his own right but Ryan is more experienced and nuanced as a passer. I don't know if people realize how often Ryan gets 1st downs for us. 

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

It's not as simplistic as I may have incidentally made it sound, but just take a look at the Brock Osweiler trade a few years ago to get an idea of what I mean. It's possible to trade that money. Not advocating for it, and it's not likely to be something enticing for other teams, but it's real.

You can't trade dead cap from previous years in the sense that you can't somehow free open more dead cap than you currently have on a player, but it is possible to trade current dead cap.

Brock Osweiler trade was very simple. Texans were on the hook for past bonuses which were pushed down the road for cap, they took 9 M dead cap hit. Cleveland  took the cap hit for the remaining guaranteed salary they got him for the year in 2017. 
 If Ryan is traded, Falcons can’t trade the cap for past years, they would take 50-60 M dead cap and the other team will be hook for future earnings. Now with Ryan’s restructure it’s probably worse. 

26 minutes ago, ki46dinah said:

Weird though because Bill has been there 7 seasons...these are all his people. I’m f Bill doesn’t have a miracle season he is gone. Back to college

In the past 13 years he only spent 2 in college. He hates college head coaching, especially recruiting - that’s why he left Penn State.

i agree he is on his last string, especially after sending Nuuk away, and his franchise QB is unhappy.

19 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Brock Osweiler trade was very simple. Texans were on the hook for past bonuses which were pushed down the road for cap, they took 9 M dead cap hit. Cleveland  took the cap hit for the remaining guaranteed salary they got him for the year in 2017. 
 If Ryan is traded, Falcons can’t trade the cap for past years, they would take 50-60 M dead cap and the other team will be hook for future earnings. Now with Ryan’s restructure it’s probably worse. 

Well, ****, I might've just completely misunderstood things. I always assumed that Cleveland traded the dead cap incurred from the signing bonus, but after Googling pretty heavily I'm not so sure. I'm still not sure I understand the dead money implications of the Osweiler trade though. The Browns took a lot of guaranteed money on with the trade.

6 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Well, ****, I might've just completely misunderstood things. I always assumed that Cleveland traded the dead cap incurred from the signing bonus, but after Googling pretty heavily I'm not so sure. I'm still not sure I understand the dead money implications of the Osweiler trade though. The Browns took a lot of guaranteed money on with the trade.

That 16 M browns took was for the current league year at that time. They traded in March 2017 and took the guaranteed salary in 2017. Texans took what ever bonuses which weren’t counted in cap till that point.  In NFL you can’t trade past bonuses and salary not counted in the cap hits. 
This is one of the reason, I am not a big fan of restructuring high valued contracts unless you know the player is not gonna be cut or traded. 

No way it'll happen, and I actually think Ryan is better, but Watson is good and is so much younger.  If you had the option you should always take a much younger player if at all similar talent wise.

Just like I'd take a 24 year old phenom over Julio at the same price.  Just opens your window further.

Ryan is older than he is better (i.e., he's a better QB overall than Watson right now, but his age difference is even greater).

Throw in the added PR positivity of having a QB who won a state high school championship less than an hour away and a national championship in college only two hours away and the answer is a strong YES. 

Of course I would, the only QBs I wouldnt trade for Watson are Mahomes and Russ, the kid is fantastic and will surely become a top 3 QB in the league if he gets away from that clown BOB.

3 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

In fairness, dead money is tradable. Both sides would need to agree to the terms, but it's possible.

It's 62.5 million in dead money to trade Ryan after the restructure. Between us and the Texans we don't have 40 mil in cap space, much less 60.

One team or the other would have to get gutted for this to even be possible.

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

Wanna bet?

Again, Houston will fire the coach before they trade the franchise QB. There would be rioting in the streets and fans would burn the stadium down.

All that, plus BB would never trade the farm for one player.

Houston traded the franchise receiver,  routinely rated in the top two at his position in the whole league for less than market value. There is a agenda going on in Houston of some sort, thus the Watson rumors...