Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Refried Beans

Antoine Winfield Jr.

24 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

One of the most safe picks in the draft. I think he's the best safety in the class.

I like Carter Coughlin on that defense in the 7th or PFA.

@ATLSlobber Loving the MegaDeath 

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

I just don’t see how he goes round 1 TBH. Delpit and McKinney are fringe first rounders even. I would say he is a round 2-3 prospect. I know he has been a darling player here, but I think we are starting to push him too high around here.

That said, nobody knows 100% and it only take one team to fall in love w his one breakout season.

Since1990 and Dukeduke211 like this

4 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

I just don’t see how he goes round 1 TBH. Delpit and McKinney are fringe first rounders even. I would say he is a round 2-3 prospect. I know he has been a darling player here, but I think we are starting to push him too high around here.

That said, nobody knows 100% and it only take one team to fall in love w his one breakout season.

No one said Savage was a first rounder. They said maybe second rounder and boom there my boy went.

Granted he got first round buzz by NFL GMs and such the day before the draft and everyone changed their projections.

1 minute ago, Ovie_Lover said:

No one said Savage was a first rounder. They said maybe second rounder and boom there my boy went.

Yep, like I said never know because it only takes 1 team.
It also could depend if the other safeties go higher. The top 2 Guys I can see going anywhere from teens to forties, I just have no clue really.

Ovie_Lover likes this

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone took him in the first. He’s good and for teams that don’t care about height at safety, Winfield is probably high on their boards.  

Projections are from latter third of the 1st Rd to about pick 50. Most player rankings have him from late 20s to late 40s. Every single simulated online Mock I've ran (CoronaMocks) he is GONE before pick 47.

I would love to have him on Falcons! If he makes it to 47 then I'd be beyond thrilled. He can play either S position well and is a Leader in the locker room and on the field. One of those complete professional minded types that was "Born to Be a Football Player Guys" that is going to solidify the defense for years.

I really want him on this team . I like the idea of trading back up into the first for him . He reminds me of Rico but like on steroids has great ball skills, can blitz really well, play in the box but can cover high at a high level . 

I want a DT or LB at 16 & him at 25-32 . 

Would be a great pick up at 47. This defensive back class is actually pretty dam good. I know I'm late to the party on Jeremy Chinn but that dude is gonna be really good as well.

Francis York Morgan likes this

I am always for drafting a legacy player.  They tend to have a distinct mental advantage entering the league (both on the field and off).

Refried Beans likes this

He’s a perfect example of how being short doesn’t mean you can’t play big.  I don’t care about his height when he plays like he does.  A lot of players come flying in like a missile and then miss the tackle, and I love that he wraps up and doesn’t allow them to gain ground.  I don’t know that he will make it into the first round, but if he is there in the second Id be happy with that pick.

I can't see him going round 1. He plays bigger than he is but the fact still remains that he is 5'9 and the WRs in the NFL will beat him over the top because of it.

He would be a solid 2nd rounder.

We have 3 CB’s snd 1 Safety under contract next year.

I would  love Delpit/Winnfield/Chinn early and then JR Reed in the late rounds

3 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

I can't see him going round 1. He plays bigger than he is but the fact still remains that he is 5'9 and the WRs in the NFL will beat him over the top because of it.

He would be a solid 2nd rounder.

Safeties don't have to worry about jump balls much, if at all. And he contests well. Not remotely worried about that tbh

And if you're talking about getting beat by guys getting behind him when you say "over the top," I haven't seen a single game where that's happened. That's more about football IQ, recognition, and acceleration than height.

I do think his size gets him drafted in the 2nd, but he deserves to be a top 20 pick if we're just looking at his play, production, attitude, and non-size measurables.

m2Falcons likes this

16 hours ago, ki46dinah said:

His dad was a pimp...if he is half as tough as his dad he will be good

Yeah and we need DOGS who will become leaders.  We need guys who will hold their own mother accountable in that locker room.  I’m still of belief that whatever discipline and true respect exists in our locker room must be self imposed by our players.  I just don’t see anyone on this staff commanding any “healthy fear”/“respect” from an NFL vet.  

Refried Beans likes this

19 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

What round you got this dude going? I would love to see him in a Falcons uniform. Will he make it to us in the third? 

I used to watch his dad when he was in BUF and then in MIN, and he was a BEAST.  He was a playmaker and they used him correctly because he played corner for the majority of his career and then when he couldn't keep up with the faster WRs they moved him to S for the last few years of his playing time.

The only issue I think would be a problem with JR is that he's had a history with injuries and hopefully he'd be able to move past that and flourish in the NFL.

But, if he plays like I saw his dad play, he's gonna be a very good player.