Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HASHBROWN3

Free Agency Grades NFC South...

Recommended Posts

Its good to kick all this around, it helps us examine the entire picture on our squad & our division.

But I'd also be remiss if I didn't say that looking at draft or FA grades is like a box of chocolates... Never know what ur gonna get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

IMO losing Bridewater alone as backup to an injury prone Brees totally negates a number 2 receiver at best and a safety that's old as the hills. Throw in Apple leaving at it's a C at best

How is Brees “injury prone”? He’s only missed 6 games due to injury in his career. 1 in 2015 with an oblique strain and the 5 last year in a freak accident.

Anyways, that #2 WR you’re casting aside like yesterday’s newspaper would be the #1 WR on quite a few teams.

The Jenkins signing/Bell departure can be considered a lateral move, but even at his age he still has better coverage ability than Bell.

As for Apple, you do remember we picked up Janoris Jenkins at the end of last year, right? Even though we lost, he shut Stefon Diggs down the entire game. #2 is not an issue.

So regarding those four moves, our depth took a slight hit but the starting lineup was improved.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Iron Saint said:

How is Brees “injury prone”? He’s only missed 6 games due to injury in his career. 1 in 2015 with an oblique strain and the 5 last year in a freak accident.

Anyways, that #2 WR you’re casting aside like yesterday’s newspaper would be the #1 WR on quite a few teams.

The Jenkins signing/Bell departure can be considered a lateral move, but even at his age he still has better coverage ability than Bell.

As for Apple, you do remember we picked up Janoris Jenkins at the end of last year, right? Even though we lost, he shut Stefon Diggs down the entire game. #2 is not an issue.

So regarding those four moves, our depth took a slight hit but the starting lineup was improved.

 

First, Brees has missed at least 14 games in his career, not counting his rookie year when he wasn't a starter.

second, sorry I do not see Sanders as a number 1 receiver on any team. Likewise I feel the same about Diggs, so I wouldn't get too excited.

i wasn't trying to bust on the Saints moves.. just stating it shouldn't have been graded an A is all. I think next to Thomas, Sanders will do very well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

First, Brees has missed at least 14 games in his career, not counting his rookie year when he wasn't a starter.

second, sorry I do not see Sanders as a number 1 receiver on any team. Likewise I feel the same about Diggs, so I wouldn't get too excited.

i wasn't trying to bust on the Saints moves.. just stating it shouldn't have been graded an A is all. I think next to Thomas, Sanders will do very well 

Re-read what I said, “He’s only missed 6 games in his career due to injury” and that’s a fact. He missed the 5 games last year and one in 2015 due to injury, that’s it. He didn’t miss any games when he sprained his MCL in 2010 or when tore his rotator cuff in 2005 because the injury happened in Week 17 and the Chargers missed the playoffs that year. Rather far from being injury prone when you miss 6 games due to injury in your career. If anything, that’s closer to being an iron man.

And I didn’t say Diggs was a #1, however he is still a really good WR. Jenkins manning that CB2 spot gives us our best CB tandem we’ve had in years.

And fair enough, everyone is definitely entitled to their own opinion, I simply wanted to point out that the positions that are getting significant snap counts (WR2, S, and by extension CB2) were arguably all upgraded from the players that were in those positions last year. The only position that really suffered any drop is QB2 which is what it is. We’ll get by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Iron Saint said:

How is Brees “injury prone”? He’s only missed 6 games due to injury in his career. 1 in 2015 with an oblique strain and the 5 last year in a freak accident.

Anyways, that #2 WR you’re casting aside like yesterday’s newspaper would be the #1 WR on quite a few teams.

The Jenkins signing/Bell departure can be considered a lateral move, but even at his age he still has better coverage ability than Bell.

As for Apple, you do remember we picked up Janoris Jenkins at the end of last year, right? Even though we lost, he shut Stefon Diggs down the entire game. #2 is not an issue.

So regarding those four moves, our depth took a slight hit but the starting lineup was improved.

 

I think that you guys have done reasonably well.

Still not sold on your secondary though...which is fine by me :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Iron Saint said:

Re-read what I said, “He’s only missed 6 games in his career due to injury” and that’s a fact. He missed the 5 games last year and one in 2015 due to injury, that’s it. He didn’t miss any games when he sprained his MCL in 2010 or when tore his rotator cuff in 2005 because the injury happened in Week 17 and the Chargers missed the playoffs that year. Rather far from being injury prone when you miss 6 games due to injury in your career. If anything, that’s closer to being an iron man.

And I didn’t say Diggs was a #1, however he is still a really good WR. Jenkins manning that CB2 spot gives us our best CB tandem we’ve had in years.

And fair enough, everyone is definitely entitled to their own opinion, I simply wanted to point out that the positions that are getting significant snap counts (WR2, S, and by extension CB2) were arguably all upgraded from the players that were in those positions last year. The only position that really suffered any drop is QB2 which is what it is. We’ll get by.

They were fundamentally sound moves.

But we both know it really depends on Brees, and if 2nd half of last season was an anomaly or if he’s really starting to regress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Iron Saint said:

Re-read what I said, “He’s only missed 6 games in his career due to injury” and that’s a fact. He missed the 5 games last year and one in 2015 due to injury, that’s it. He didn’t miss any games when he sprained his MCL in 2010 or when tore his rotator cuff in 2005 because the injury happened in Week 17 and the Chargers missed the playoffs that year. Rather far from being injury prone when you miss 6 games due to injury in your career. If anything, that’s closer to being an iron man.

And I didn’t say Diggs was a #1, however he is still a really good WR. Jenkins manning that CB2 spot gives us our best CB tandem we’ve had in years.

And fair enough, everyone is definitely entitled to their own opinion, I simply wanted to point out that the positions that are getting significant snap counts (WR2, S, and by extension CB2) were arguably all upgraded from the players that were in those positions last year. The only position that really suffered any drop is QB2 which is what it is. We’ll get by.

Saints are solid and scary on both sides of the ball. If Brees' thumb remains problematic, do you have faith that Hill can step up and lead NO to consistent winning football?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NaGaBoy said:

In the short run, we are better without Freeman and Trufant.  I think Clayborn is a long run improvement.  He still had something to contribute.

No way we are better without Trufant in the short term. This is the only move the Front Office made that worries me (FTR I understand why we did it but it doesn’t make us better short term). Long term yes we might be better off with salary cap savings etc but short term it forces us to reach for a cb in the first two rounds rather than let the draft come to us. With significant holes at DT, Olb and now CB we can’t just BPA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, primetime said:

No way we are better without Trufant in the short term. This is the only move the Front Office made that worries me (FTR I understand why we did it but it doesn’t make us better short term). Long term yes we might be better off with salary cap savings etc but short term it forces us to reach for a cb in the first two rounds rather than let the draft come to us. With significant holes at DT, Olb and now CB we can’t just BPA. 

Tru is technically very good.  Unfortunately, he never found a way to deal with large receivers and offenses took note.  I think he was overrated based on the approximate $10M the Falcons were giving him.  He freed up $5M immediately.  So, I do view him as a good DB, I do not view him as $10M a season good.

As you may know, Tru got $20M for 2 seasons with the Lions, again, $10M per season.  From that I assume he was demanding that level of compensation.  Ricardo Allen is getting $6.5M, Keanu Neal $2.7M, Blidi Wrey-Wilson $1.2M, Isaiah Oliver $1.2M, Sharrod Neesman $1M, Kemal Ishmail $900K, Kendall Sheffield $820K, and Demontae Kazee $672K. 

For whatever reason, Freeman and Trufant got contracts that were tough to justify.  As you know, we had to be very creative to provide enough cap space to upgrade a few positions on our roster.  And, those upgrades are very critical.  So, I am not looking at Trufant in a vacuum.  Instead, I am looking at Trufant with his salary on a team that has quite a few positions to upgrade.  Trufant had to go to make the Falcons team better.  Or, agree to play for $5M/season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NaGaBoy said:

Tru is technically very good.  Unfortunately, he never found a way to deal with large receivers and offenses took note.  I think he was overrated based on the approximate $10M the Falcons were giving him.  He freed up $5M immediately.  So, I do view him as a good DB, I do not view him as $10M a season good.

As you may know, Tru got $20M for 2 seasons with the Lions, again, $10M per season.  From that I assume he was demanding that level of compensation.  Ricardo Allen is getting $6.5M, Keanu Neal $2.7M, Blidi Wrey-Wilson $1.2M, Isaiah Oliver $1.2M, Sharrod Neesman $1M, Kemal Ishmail $900K, Kendall Sheffield $820K, and Demontae Kazee $672K. 

For whatever reason, Freeman and Trufant got contracts that were tough to justify.  As you know, we had to be very creative to provide enough cap space to upgrade a few positions on our roster.  And, those upgrades are very critical.  So, I am not looking at Trufant in a vacuum.  Instead, I am looking at Trufant with his salary on a team that has quite a few positions to upgrade.  Trufant had to go to make the Falcons team better.  Or, agree to play for $5M/season.

Don’t disagree with your sentiment but specifically I’m reacting to the short term statement. No way we are better next year without Tru. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always denial here.  Another off season on TAFT that elevates TD and DQ to sainthood. After another pitiful performance and season that was full of nothing but excuses.  Then they dump almost half the starters after proclaiming continuity.  While insisting there is no cap problem.  Deny everything and admit nothing.  TD & DQ's modis operandi.

Overcoming denial is the first step.... 

I can't wait to see what our grade is going to be after the draft.  If we are lucky we will get a B- or a B.  That is if we are lucky.

But of course the posters here know more than anyone else that has a different take on what is actually happening.

It would be great if TAFT fans could back up all this trash talk with at least one superbowl ring.  Or maybe a few playoff wins.  Until then being humble and humility might be a better way to go cause it looks foolish when fans try to trash talk. Especially against superbowl winning QB's and teams.  You cannot claim greatness unless your great.  For 50+ years the Falcons have perfected losing. 

 Its put up or shut up time again... lol :munch:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NaGaBoy said:

In the short run, we are better without Freeman and Trufant.  I think Clayborn is a long run improvement.  He still had something to contribute.

I agree.  I watched Freeman this year and compared him to other Running backs and did not see anything that would make me want him on the team.  Trufant was an injury waiting to happen.  We do not need more of that.  Very sorry we lost Hooper.  He fit in well and made a difference.  I was surprised when they released them.  Cap space and all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the grade. Replaced a pro bowler with a TE with unknown production. Fowler is an upgrade over Beasley but Gurley’s health is questionable and lost depth and a starting CB

Getting the “GOAT” QB is gonna be an A regardless even if he’s old

Saints added a good WR to an already good roster and just lost backups.

 

either way championships aren’t won on FA grades

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

I think that you guys have done reasonably well.

Still not sold on your secondary though...which is fine by me :)

Hahaha, fair enough.

And that makes two of us. ;) Y’all think y’all are going to go after another CB early to replace Trufant? 

7 hours ago, Vandy said:

They were fundamentally sound moves.

But we both know it really depends on Brees, and if 2nd half of last season was an anomaly or if he’s really starting to regress. 

I think Brees is still fine. Our line just played like **** when it came down to the end (especially against y’all the first game). Other than that, the defense ****ting the bed didn’t help (against the 49ers). Or when both decided to **** the bed in the same game (OL and defense) against the Vikings. No bueno. Even 30 year old Brees wouldn’t have helped getting pulverized like that.

Still ****ed off at Payton for not committing to the run though (all three of those games).

6 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

Saints are solid and scary on both sides of the ball. If Brees' thumb remains problematic, do you have faith that Hill can step up and lead NO to consistent winning football?

It definitely poses an intriguing scenario. It’s also one that I’m really not qualified to answer, nor is anyone that isn’t on the Saints coaching staff. They’re the only ones that have really seen enough of Taysom Hill the QB to have a firm grasp of what he could and couldn’t do if called upon. We’ll all just have to wait and see how it unfolds.

If the defense and special teams could rally around the offense like last year after Brees’ thumb injury, I think Taysom could string together a few games and keep us competitive. But long term viability? Definitely remains to be seen. 

:)

Edited by Iron Saint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Iron Saint said:

Hahaha, fair enough.

And that makes two of us. ;) Y’all think y’all are going to go after another CB early to replace Trufant? 

I think Brees is still fine. Our line just played like **** when it came down to the end (especially against y’all the first game). Other than that, the defense ****ting the bed didn’t help (against the 49ers). Or when both decided to **** the bed in the same game (OL and defense) against the Vikings. No bueno. Even 30 year old Brees wouldn’t have helped getting pulverized like that.

Still ****ed off at Payton for not committing to the run though (all three of those games).

It definitely poses an intriguing scenario. It’s also one that I’m really not qualified to answer, nor is anyone that isn’t on the Saints coaching staff. They’re the only ones that have really seen enough of Taysom Hill the QB to have a firm grasp of what he could and couldn’t do if called upon. We’ll all just have to wait and see how it unfolds.

If the defense and special teams could rally around the offense like last year after Brees’ thumb injury, I think Taysom could string together a few games and keep us competitive. But long term viability? Definitely remains to be seen. 

:)

If I had my way....we stay away from corner in the first 3 or 4 picks......but we will most likely draft one early.

I like what Oliver and Sheffield did in the 2nd half of the year.

I am hoping that we go front 7 (DT or LB)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, primetime said:

Don’t disagree with your sentiment but specifically I’m reacting to the short term statement. No way we are better next year without Tru. 

Oh, I get what you are saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

If I had my way....we stay away from corner in the first 3 or 4 picks......but we will most likely draft one early.

I like what Oliver and Sheffield did in the 2nd half of the year.

I am hoping that we go front 7 (DT or LB)

Hahah, I feel that. We could use another LB ourselves between the loss of Klein and how quickly our depth seems to disappear with injuries between Anzalone and Alonso.

We have a 7th rounder from last year that was certainly turning some heads before he also got put on IR, named Kaden Elliss. He’s not the most physically imposing LB, but he’s always around the ball and can hit like a truck. So I’m excited to see what kind of strides he makes from Year 1 to Year 2 when he doesn’t have to think so much and can just ball. Anzalone made a similar jump after going on IR after Week 4 in 2017 only to return in 2018 and play like an absolute stud.

Seems like similar to y’all we each only have one LB: Deion Jones/Demario Davis

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Iron Saint said:

 

I hope Brees is still fine. Our line just played like **** when it came down to the end (especially against y’all the first game). Other than that, the defense ****ting the bed didn’t help (against the 49ers). Or when both decided to **** the bed in the same game (OL and defense) against the Vikings. No bueno. Even 30 year old Brees wouldn’t have helped getting pulverized like that.

Still ****ed off at Payton for not committing to the run though (all three of those games).

 

Fixed it for ya. :tiphat:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Offseason threads on Falcons forums are funny because it's always "Wahhhh why does everyone hate us and love the Saints" and then by November the threads on here are "Wahhhhh why are the Saints good and we suck? FIRE DQ!" :lol:

Edited by NOS25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
  • Create New...