rudy

Do We Still Draft a RB

37 posts in this topic

Yes I'm locked down inside my home watching TV re-runs and start a new post. But a most relevant question it is

Even after signing Gurley do we still draft a RB? It has been said by many (Baldinger, T Davis etc.) that his knee is not

the same and he has lost that step, burst like it was back in 2017, '18.

I'm a proponent of drafting a feature back this year since it's a good year for RB, not a great year but a good value year.

Imagine if Gurley goes down in the middle of a good year for us. Who will step in to continue to the playoff run? now that

we're in that window and Matt is getting older.

You may argue anyone can go down with an injury. Yes, that is true but Gurley, given his history, is more likely.

But now with Gurley signing we'll focus more on the defense which is a sound approach. I hope we can still get an impact RB in the

early round.

Falcster likes this

No. I wouldn’t. Not this year. Unless someone I really liked fell late in the draft. Too many other holes that we need to fill with draft picks. If you wanted to draft a stud running back (which I did) we shouldn’t have signed Gurley. That is done now. 

1 year rental on Gurley. He is going to be what he is. Ride him as long as he can go. 

ollison and Ito as backups. 

Late round or undrafted. With Gurley's knee being such a hot topic, couldn't hurt to have more depth. Hill, Smith, Ollison, Gurley. 

How is ITO by the way? Love the guy, but will his health be in question moving forward? 

It really depends on value. I wouldn’t pass on better talent to grab one, but wouldn’t pass on one Just because Gurley was signed either.

papachaz likes this

No,, not after the additions made,, Add that to the RBs we already have and it adds up to a BIG NO... We will not draft a RB .. NO WAY ... will that happen. 

Maybe real late in the draft  -Patrick Taylor JR. From Memphis 6'3 227

I'm Hoping Ollie makes a jump onto the field this year for more than Goal-line. 

I think Hill is going to keep growing as well. 

It comes back to our offensive identity. If the run/play action game is important then you draft a RB this year to share the load and learn from Gurley... preparing him tot take over if needs be next year. If Gurley leaves next year I don't want us to be lost in terms of our run game. 

4 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

Maybe real late in the draft  -Patrick Taylor JR. From Memphis 6'3 227

I'm Hoping Ollie makes a jump onto the field this year for more than Goal-line. 

I think Hill is going to keep growing as well. 

Your last line answers a lot of Questions.. But even if for some unseen reason,, he is not used enough.. We still will not draft a RB.. We have a good group that I personally think we can count on.  Our needs at other positions are far more important.  

The O.D.B likes this

3 hours ago, Birdbrains9 said:

This is a deep rb class so it’s something to consider. I wouldn’t be opposed to and it’s probably the smart thing to do so we can load manage gurley’s knee. 

That's also another point. It's been said that you have to manage his load. Yes we can probably sub him with with the existing RB that's on the roster but I'd rather have a feature RB.

Then what will we do next year? if Gurley does well this year he's not going to be cheap next year. And we'll have to draft another RB anyway. so why not this year.

2 hours ago, ramonezy said:

It comes back to our offensive identity. If the run/play action game is important then you draft a RB this year to share the load and learn from Gurley... preparing him tot take over if needs be next year. If Gurley leaves next year I don't want us to be lost in terms of our run game. 

And if Gurley stays next year I doubt that he'll be cheap.

3 hours ago, Snafu said:

Depends on if an RB is the best player on the board at each of our picks.

I'd predict that the there'll be a run at the RB position early to mid 2nd round. so it depends we may be able to get a good one in the 2nd.

3 hours ago, Snafu said:

Depends on if an RB is the best player on the board at each of our picks.

This. And please don’t forget who our pass happy OC is.

I want Antonio Gibson in the 4th.  Hes really versital.  Hes not a feature guy so we can draft a feature back next year if Gurley doesn't pan out or wants top dollar.  Either way Gibson is a jack of all trades type of back that can help this team regardless of who the feature back is

Hill, Ito and Ollison are all good backups. I'd only draft an RB if someone with a second or third round grade drops to the sixth round. Actually, if I graded any position that high and it's available in the sixth, I'd grab him regardless of position.

I think so, but no higher than round 3.  4 may be a lot more likely.  Gurley is on a one year deal and I don't think any of the other backs we have now can be counted on to give you 4 yards a carry consistently.  Have to find a way to add some new blood to the offensive backfield.

Who's left in the 4th? Cause I don't see us taking one any higher than that. 

My guess is we don't draft a RB and go into the season with what we have, BUT if one of the top guys falls, I could see us pulling the trigger. 

Eno Benjamin doesn't get much love but both him and Zack Moss would be great value in the 4th. 

1 minute ago, Artys Arryn said:

My guess is we don't draft a RB and go into the season with what we have, BUT if one of the top guys falls, I could see us pulling the trigger. 

Eno Benjamin doesn't get much love but both him and Zack Moss would be great value in the 4th. 

I think we need another guy.  I don't see a lot of depth.  It may have to be one of these guys that didn't go to the combine.  Just give me someone north of 200 pounds that has some speed and quickness.  

38 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

Antonio Gibson...RB, slot WR, kick returner...all w nice size at 220+ lbs. I really like him as a day 3 prospect. We don’t have this kind of weapon on offense.

Yup.

I like our backfield but Hill is a RFA and possibly may not be back.

Ito has shown promise but has ended the year on IR 2 years in a row

Gurley is on a one year deal.

Ollison has all of 24 carries (but 4 tds).

So like I said...I like it but there is certainly room to add a home run threat.

While it is not a "need" per say like linebacker is but it is a low key concern.

1989Fan likes this