Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Since1990

Terrell Davis on Gurley's Knee

Posted (edited)

https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/26/terrell-davis-todd-gurley-rams-falcons-knee-injury/

TERRELL DAVIS: I DOUBT GURLEY CAN RETURN TO FORM... Same Knee Issues I Had

Terrell Davis tells TMZ Sports he's concerned Todd Gurley might never regain his old form in Atlanta ... saying a similar knee issue in 1999 caused him to lose a permanent step.

"I was never the same," the Denver Broncos legend says.

Gurley tore his ACL in college at Georgia in 2014 ... but didn't have problems with the surgically repaired knee up until 2019 -- when the Rams RB dealt with arthritis.

Gurley was still able to run on it, but he clearly wasn't the same guy ... and following this past season, the Rams straight-up cut him over the decline in his play.

Fortunately for the tailback, the Falcons believe he's still got some juice left --- they signed him right away -- but Davis tells us he's skeptical Gurley can be a premier RB again in the future.

"They said he had an arthritic knee," said Davis, who tore his ACL playing for the Broncos in 1999. "And, I said, 'I've had that. I understand what it feels like.'"

Davis was forced to retire before the 2002 season ... saying his arthritic knee made it impossible for him to feel like the same dude that won a Super Bowl MVP just a few years prior.

"What happens is you feel like your knee -- like you have just enough swelling in your knee, just enough, to where it doesn't stop you from running, but you don't have the full flexibility or mobility and you just feel like you're just a second slower," TD says.

"When you think about making a cut, it's like the signal from your brain to your knee is like, it just comes just a fraction of a second too slow where your knee doesn't respond to it. And, that's what was happening for me."

Don't get it twisted ... Davis still thinks Todd has more than enough gas left in the tank to be an effective NFL RB -- he's just wary about the prospects of TG returning to superstar status.

"If he could come out of this one year and have the attitude that, 'I want to prove everybody wrong' -- which I feel Todd will -- he could have a really good year."

Edited by Since1990

Posted (edited)

Wait! Didn't Gurley injure his knee in college and go on to be productive in the NFL and win an MVP award???

And didn't TD get injured and never play in another NFL game?? 

How can he say they are the same injury!!!

Not to mention, I imagine that medical treatments have advanced some over the 15 years between injuries?

Edited by Since1990

Terrell has no idea. Gurley has the sixth most snaps on the Rams offense even tho he is “broken”. Gurley was also effective and sticking his foot in the ground and changing direction. 

First of all TD was a system QB who had nowhere near the natural talent of Gurley - how many Shanahan RB's have been a flash in the pan for a season or two? I don't mean to take any credit away but he was a 6th round pick, who greatly benefited from the situation he was in. I put Arian Foster in that same bucket.

Secondly, TD played in an era of the bell-cow back. We're not asking that of Gurley - he'll be part of a rotation.

Thirdly, science has moved on considerably in the last 20 years. That includes ACL surgery but also managing players workload and health throughout a season and across their careers. 

I am okay w the signing, TD did it right w a one year deal. I just hope TD doesn’t go and commit long term to him if he has a decent season. That’s how you get in trouble (see Sam Baker)

If he returns to form and we can relive the Turner years for a bit I will be happy. An elite RB makes the game so much more enjoyable to watch. Getting sick of the negative to 2 yard runs over and over.

5 minutes ago, SexualChocolate said:

Medicine has come a long way in 20 years. 

This. Between improvements in rehab, along with stuff like stem cell injections, medicine is playing a whole different game than in1999. 

Gurley will use Davis’s comments for motivation.

Simetimes it’s best to just stfu Terrell. Why throw that out there? 

You’d think he had more of a kindred respect for a fellow nfl RB.

Some things are best left unsaid.

Yep, it is pretty clear Gurley was a PR move done to try and save a flailing regime. If we rely on him for a run game we are in deep crap. This team needs to have a plan B for the urnning game this year if Gurley does not pan out. If they don't it's just another reason in a huge list of concerns for the team.

2 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Yep, it is pretty clear Gurley was a PR move done to try and save a flailing regime. If we rely on him for a run game we are in deep crap.

Perhaps you missed this from the article:

"...Don't get it twisted ... Davis still thinks Todd has more than enough gas left in the tank to be an effective NFL RB -- he's just wary about the prospects of TG returning to superstar status..."

Please.  Gurley tanked it so he could come here, y'all.  

Use your noodles. 

He'll look like Jim Brown next season.  

And by "next season", I mean 2021 obviously.  Ain't gonna be a 2020. 

5 hours ago, Since1990 said:

Wait! Didn't Gurley injure his knee in college and go on to be productive in the NFL and win an MVP award???

And didn't TD get injured and never play in another NFL game?? 

How can he say they are the same injury!!!

Not to mention, I imagine that medical treatments have advanced some over the 15 years between injuries?

Exactly, people come back so much sooner than the projected time frames from the past. They said AP would never be the same either. And I'd still give that man 25 carries a game 

Posted (edited)

I don't care.  His knee is what it is.  We got him for a year to see what he really is and don't need to trust armchair doctors.  It's a a low risk deal and our running game was bad enough last season that short of putting the ball on the ground, it's hard to see how it couldn't be better even with a reduced Gurley.

Edited by Monolith2001

This statement i'm about to post has nothing to do with Todd Gurley.

Terrell Davis is the least liked Dawg, by me. I've been checking him out since he's been off the field, and dude just comes across as an arrogant bit©h. He RARELY gives any positive responses when it comes to Atlanta. 

I always thought he got lucky off of 1 play, got a shot too start on a good team, and lucked up with gettin a ring. Had 1 monster season and snuck into the HOF by hiding behind Elway.

Just my personal 2 cents.