Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GrimeyKidd

Why its unfair to compare Todd Gurley to Steven Jackson

Todd Gurley isn’t Steven Jackson

BY DA'VONTE HUGHES · PUBLISHED MARCH 25, 2020 · UPDATED MARCH 25, 2020

Todd-Gurley.jpg

Image vs Play Style

When Todd Gurley was released from the Los Angeles Rams, everyone figured that he should head back to Georgia. The next day it was announced that the Atlanta Falcons signed Todd Gurley to a 1-year $5 million deal. This signing according to some fans brought back memories of when the Falcons signed Steven Jackson in 2013. 

Full link to article- https://www.overtimeheroics.net/index.php/2020/03/25/why-its-unfair-to-compare-todd-gurley-to-steven-jackson/

I know this feels like it should be obvious but you wouldn't imagine how many fans compared the two. I decided to write an article to combat the otherwise nonsensical comparisons. Two different players who are coming into two different situations. 

In all fairness to Steven Jackson he was playing behind one of the worst o- lines in the NFL that year with the Falcons. I’m pretty sure Peter Konz Garrett Reynolds Jeremy Trueblood Lamar Holmes and Justin Blalock made up the starting five. Blalock was pretty good but the rest were really really bad. I kind of thought Jackson got a bad deal....he// Barry Sanders or Walter Payton couldn’t run behind that line. We have question marks this year with the OL. Lindstorm and Matthews should be fine but the jury is still out on McGary (hopefully he improves from rookie year) Mack didn’t have a great year plus he’s getting old and LG is nothing more than in TD we trust.  
If the OL pans out I’d say look out for Gurley on 15-20 touches per game.

I have a suspicion that we may plan to use Gurley as a feature back, hand him the ball 20+ times a game, get good-great production out of him, then let him walk to collect a comp pick.

His knee isnt a nothing burger but I'm not sure it would keep him from going hard for a full season either. I think the Rams' plan this past year was to not use him much so he'd be more fresh for a playoff run. Seems like Gurley may have resented that and wanted out. 

1 hour ago, Atl Falcon said:

In all fairness to Steven Jackson he was playing behind one of the worst o- lines in the NFL that year with the Falcons. I’m pretty sure Peter Konz Garrett Reynolds Jeremy Trueblood Lamar Holmes and Justin Blalock made up the starting five. Blalock was pretty good but the rest were really really bad. I kind of thought Jackson got a bad deal....he// Barry Sanders or Walter Payton couldn’t run behind that line. We have question marks this year with the OL. Lindstorm and Matthews should be fine but the jury is still out on McGary (hopefully he improves from rookie year) Mack didn’t have a great year plus he’s getting old and LG is nothing more than in TD we trust.  

True. But it did seem like Jackson would stumble more often than not instead of straight up running. Didn't look like the same guy here or in New England. 

1 hour ago, The Daywalker said:

There’s a ton of people doing it. 

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

Nearly every knucklehead here that doesn't like the signing.

I am cautiously optimistic because Gurley’s knee is unknown. But to compare a guy with half the carries and half the yards of Steven Jackson is crazy. 

44 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

SJax also came here after a career of hamstring injuries.

article is prolly written by an amatuer who is also on the boards. 

SJax was also probably the most overused RB in the NFL throughout his stint with the Rams as well.

For years he was the only good offensive player of note as the Rams sunk further into the basement of the NFL after the Rams "Greatest Show on Turf" years became a distant memory.

30 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I am cautiously optimistic because Gurley’s knee is unknown. But to compare a guy with half the carries and half the yards of Steven Jackson is crazy. 

To me it's basically Gurley has the skills still, we saw it last year.

Jackson had nothing left when he came here.

1 hour ago, 1989Fan said:

SJax also came here after a career of hamstring injuries.

article is prolly written by an amatuer who is also on the boards. 

First of all. Im the writer of the article. If you want to criticize the writing do so. But don't just dismiss it because im also a member of the boards

2 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

We should keep Gurley under 15/game.  

I hope Gurley has a good year. I only hope that when he's on the field, it doesn't signal a run or that he's somehow gonna get the ball. If that became a pattern in his usage, it would be a problem. Don't think he can hold up as an every down back.

I think the Jax/Gurley comparisons are warranted.  Although Gurley is a lot younger, he is said to have significant arthritis in both knees.  I don't know what that will do to his running, but we are talking about a guy that is already showing signs of excessive wear and tear.  

1 hour ago, GrimeyKidd said:

First of all. Im the writer of the article. If you want to criticize the writing do so. But don't just dismiss it because im also a member of the boards

My bad man, sorry to offend by stating it is an amateur writer.

that said, not dismissing you because you’re a member of the boards...saying it was likely a member of the boards because that is the only place I have seen that dumb comparison.

Anybody watched this video where peter king and mike florio discuss gurley? I thought it was a good watch,. They said we didnt even do a physical on gurley. They said if gurley fails a physical that the rams would owe him another $10 million. Hes already made over 30 million from the rams in just 2 yrs

10 hours ago, falconsrsuper said:

Anybody watched this video where peter king and mike florio discuss gurley? I thought it was a good watch,. They said we didnt even do a physical on gurley. They said if gurley fails a physical that the rams would owe him another $10 million. Hes already made over 30 million from the rams in just 2 yrs

Man this must suck for the rams