Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
g-dawg

The Falcons Unsung Hero - doin' work

2 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Agree on most of the net, except that Treadwell/Reynolds/McCray will likely count hardly anything against the cap. The only hole I really see us having rn is SAM. Outside of that, we're just trying to improve the team (possibly have guys start, doubt we get more than a couple via the draft and FA) and add depth. 

Do you like the moves? I'm asking for your opinion now. And if not, I'm curious what you'd do instead.

You don't think we have a hole at LCB? Or LG? Or no DT depth? What if Grady or Davison gets hurt? Who next up? Snot? OK.

Love the Gurley move. Like Hurst, but Hoop is better. Not a huge Fowler fan but he's young and could progress. Hopefully he won't get caught up in the Dan Quinn DE Vortex where rush ends go to die. He's only had one double digit sack year and that was on a heavy blitzing Wade Phillips 3-4 defense.

7 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Agree on most of the net, except that Treadwell/Reynolds/McCray will likely count hardly anything against the cap. Should come in just under. The only hole I really see us having rn is SAM. Outside of that, we're just trying to improve the team (possibly have guys start, doubt we get more than a couple via the draft and FA) and add depth. 

Do you like the moves? I'm asking for your opinion now. And if not, I'm curious what you'd do instead. Not what you'd have done in years past. Yknow?

yeah any of us can take a position in hindsight - @FalconFanSince1970 - take one specifically on these players this season and go on record.

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

The rooks gave up 31 points in 22 minutes of that SB game bro. They got blasted.

What about actually getting to the SB.Did the rooks not play well ?

The only real time the defense got killed is when the momentum changed as the first 3 qtrs we were all over NE defensively I guess you missed the 28-3 bit.

12 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

You don't think we have a hole at LCB? Or LG? Or no DT depth? What if Grady or Davison gets hurt? Who next up? Snot? OK.

Love the Gurley move. Like Hurst, but Hoop is better. Not a huge Fowler fan but he's young and could progress. Hopefully he won't get caught up in the Dan Quinn DE Vortex where rush ends go to die. He's only had one double digit sack year and that was on a heavy blitzing Wade Phillips 3-4 defense.

I don't think we have a hole at LCB after what I watched the second half of last year. CB could be upgraded, but at least to me, safety is a bigger area of need (still not a hole). LG has Gono, Brown, and Carpenter competing. I'm comfortable with the OL right now tbh. I think our DT depth is decent but it's far from a hole. Bailey played a lot of 3T. Cominsky did some too. And when talking about depth needs, that's exactly what rookies are for. Lots of guys who'd be good for us.

Fair on the signings, though honestly kinda opaque. I'm excited. Good depth moves too. We'll see though. Proof is in the pudding.

5 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

What about actually getting to the SB.Did the rooks not play well ?

The only real time the defense got killed is when the momentum changed as the first 3 qtrs we were all over NE defensively I guess you missed the 28-3 bit.

They gave up 24 or more points in 12 of their 19 games. Campbell, Neal and Poole got routinely lit up in coverage.

Even when they started to play better after the bye, the offense carried them during that run with 36.4 ppg.

13 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

They gave up 24 or more points in 12 of their 19 games. Campbell, Neal and Poole got routinely lit up in coverage.

Even when they started to play better after the bye, the offense carried them during that run with 36.4 ppg.

Doesn’t matter they played well enough with 4 rooks on the defense to win in the playoffs.They still gotta stop teams.Seattle GB ate em up.

You don’t think Aaron Rodgers was confident coming into the dome of beating this young defense yet we shut GB down and came up short a week later.

9 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Doesn’t matter they played well enough with 4 rooks on the defense to win in the playoffs.They still gotta stop teams.Seattle GB ate em up.

You don’t think Aaron Rodgers was confident coming into the dome of beating this young defense yet we shut GB down and came up short a week later.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/22/watch-brian-poole-lays-some-wood-on-aaron-rodgers/amp/

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

And yet not a single negative word about TD here.  Relax

As others said, could easily be construed as implicitly throwing shade on TD.

5 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

We were losers two straight years and have a losing record over the last seven combined 

Dan Quinn has a winning record. Why on earth do you love to mix coaching eras together? Mike smith has a winning record and so does Quinn. TD and Matt Ryan have a winning record. You can’t move the numbers in a way that supports this argument. The argument is Mike Smith Era record 66-46

Dan Quinn era record 34-28

TD era record 109-83

Matt Ryan era record 109-80

none of these men have losing records. They’ve had some losing seasons but more winning than losing. I’m all for critiquing Quinn, TD, Matt, and smith but put it perspective. 2 of mike smiths years have nothing to do with Quinn’s. I see the point you’re trying to make 100% but put it in context. Smiths last 2 seasons were terrible. Quinn’s first 3 years were a .500 season, 2 winning seasons including playoffs and a SB appearance, and 2 losing seasons. Which in the right perspective shows that TD righted the ship after smiths last 2 seasons. Now he has to right the ship again and signs are pointing to he will. 

31 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Dan Quinn has a winning record. Why on earth do you love to mix coaching eras together? Mike smith has a winning record and so does Quinn. TD and Matt Ryan have a winning record. You can’t move the numbers in a way that supports this argument. The argument is Mike Smith Era record 66-46

Dan Quinn era record 34-28

TD era record 109-83

Matt Ryan era record 109-80

none of these men have losing records. They’ve had some losing seasons but more winning than losing. I’m all for critiquing Quinn, TD, Matt, and smith but put it perspective. 2 of mike smiths years have nothing to do with Quinn’s. I see the point you’re trying to make 100% but put it in context. Smiths last 2 seasons were terrible. Quinn’s first 3 years were a .500 season, 2 winning seasons including playoffs and a SB appearance, and 2 losing seasons. Which in the right perspective shows that TD righted the ship after smiths last 2 seasons. Now he has to right the ship again and signs are pointing to he will. 

Dimi was 56-24 in his first five years, but only 53-59 in his last seven years. 14-18 in his last two. In a what have you done for me lately league he aint done much lately.

19 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Dimi was 56-24 in his first five years, but only 53-59 in his last seven years. 14-18 in his last two. In a what have you done for me lately league he aint done much lately.

The SB run and 2017 near SB-champion beating run are in that seven year span you insist on referencing though bro...this is just being selective. You're insisting on Smith's 4-12 and 6-10 season being included for no other reason than that they were bad. No way around that

45 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Yes I would have, with a $5-6M year one hit, still have my 2nd round pick and a better TE.

#1 you would complain about cap space from backloading the deal like that.

#2 I really enjoyed Hoop’s progression and didn’t want to lose him...but who knew we could get Hurst instead of using pick 55 on a worse year 1 player...he is already an upgrade at blocking and is more viable at getting open 1on1. The only thing Hoop has on Hurst is familiarity with Ryan. He can actually surpass Austin rather quickly overall.

#3 You’d not have Fowler and would need a DE instead in a thin draft. We upgraded Vic easily and Hurst vs Hoop in the same draft would have Hayden taken ahead of Austin.

Only way your theory works on a longterm on Hoop > Fowler; which is implied, would be if we could somehow afford both.

Wait for it...don’t complain about cap then!!! :lol:

The Falcons are in win now mode. The allocated money is irrelevant to Arthur Blank and the front office and they’re betting on significant future years Cap increases to see it through. That’s the deal. That’s the plan. Arthur ain’t no spring  chicken and Ryan is 35. That’s the deal. Love it, hate it, pontificate...no matter. That’s the deal. 

4 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I don't think we have a hole at LCB after what I watched the second half of last year. CB could be upgraded, but at least to me, safety is a bigger area of need (still not a hole). LG has Gono, Brown, and Carpenter competing. I'm comfortable with the OL right now tbh. I think our DT depth is decent but it's far from a hole. Bailey played a lot of 3T. Cominsky did some too. And when talking about depth needs, that's exactly what rookies are for. Lots of guys who'd be good for us.

Fair on the signings, though honestly kinda opaque. I'm excited. Good depth moves too. We'll see though. Proof is in the pudding.

Or as last year proved regarding the defense: The COACHING

3 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

C’mon. TD basically IS 28-3 itself. He cost us our only chip.

4 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

Or as last year proved regarding the defense: The COACHING

Alot are so dismissive of this.

Identity is another thing what you want to look like.That was clearly over thought and lost last year.

Man the turnaround is a classic example of what if this was it from the jump.

4 hours ago, FentayeJones said:

Exactly. By the time the bill comes due Matt, Julio, Jake etc will be gone and the team will likely be in rebuild mode anyway.

Yep. If Matt somehow is that plays into his 40s QB? We do what NO has done the past 2-3 years and extend the window.