Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
g-dawg

The Falcons Unsung Hero - doin' work

7 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Lol. If you gonna run a company, you want A players running your ship. If anything that shows TD has good team in place. Now you are a loser, you hire bunch of losers to run your company and go down the drain.

We were losers two straight years and have a losing record over the last seven combined 

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Oh forgot to mention constantly restructuring contracts

Restructuring Mathews contract this year saved us 7 million dollars. 3.5% of 198 million. You know what it cost us? 2.33 million in 2021 and 2022. The cap is excepted to be 230-240 million next year.

2.33 million is .99% of a 235 million dollar cap.

So we saved 3.75% of our total cap space to lose 1% next year. Seems like good math to me.

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

We were losers two straight years and have a losing record over the last seven combined 

That’s bigger than TDs problem. DQ and his defense screwed up first 8 weeks and with same talent turned it around. 

13 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

C'mon man.  gdawg, dude, for the love of football & this forum, why would you want to take an underhanded swipe at TD.

I would imagine that a great deal of the GM's around the league consult with gentlemen just like this.  

Although I very much appreciate this guy genuinely, TD is very much in charge of negotiating with the player & agents.

C'mon bro!!  Is this click bait for TD hater attention?  :lol:

it wasn't a swipe at TD as much as it is a shoutout for Polk.   Think you are taking it the wrong way or at least a direction I wasn't aiming.

8 minutes ago, BlazerSlayer said:

I used to agree with that, but when I look at the Saints, they continually push money forward and never seem to hit the wall. Maybe they will when Brees leaves but if the cap rises, maybe not.

Go look at the Aint board. They are complaining about not being able to sign wish list FAs.

Just now, g-dawg said:

it wasn't a swipe at TD as much as it is a shoutout for Polk.   Think you are taking it the wrong way or at least a direction I wasn't aiming.

OK, but it's not surprising how one could see it that way though.  I'll back off on housekeeping duty however...

20 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I don't want to make moves like extending SackmakerBaker, giving Shredder a huge raise, overpaying Free, giving Bustley $12.8M, overpaying Carpenter, Brown and Sombrero, giving $20M to a hood ornament, picking up KeKe's option, signing ButtaFusco, extending Ryan before we had to, overpaying Tru etc. It's moves like that that get you in cap hail.

I'd argue that all of the bolded were fine moves at the time. Schraeder was considered one of the best RTs in the NFL at the time. Julio straight up is the best WR in the NFL (I don't like building teams around a WR, but it's impossible to say he isn't playing up to his contract). Keke's option locked down a Pro Bowl safety for 6 mil, the injury was more unfortunate than it was a poor decision. Extending Ryan freed up cap space and we'll likely do it again in 2022 with two years left - just saying, he still gets his guaranteed money but it keeps the cap hits low. Tru was coming off phenomenal seasons and after the pec injury he lost the will to tackle and his general coverage got poorer. The Alford move was worse, if anything.

Again, not disagreeing with the other stuff, but when you mix hindsight BS like the bolded in with genuinely bad moves, it discredits ya a bit. Dimi ain't a god but he's doing well this season, and with the big cap bump next season, this is the time to be pushing stuff off. It's the best I've felt about the future of this team in a while, taking into account both cap space and our current talent levels.

Also, thanks to a mostly awful 2017 draft class, we don't have many big contracts coming up. Makes next year another one where we can be pretty active.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/front-office-roster/nick-polk

Will the real cap guru, please stand up?

polk_nick_new

Biography

Nick Polk enters his 11th season as director of football operations in 2018. He spent five seasons as the club's director of football administration and enters his 16th year overall with the team. He works closely with General Manager Thomas Dimitroff on all contract proposals, negotiations, and salary cap management. Polk also helps coordinate the Falcons compliance with the NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement and labor-related issues.

G-Dawg:

TD gets a lot of praise for cap wizardry but this is the guy moving all the money around, re-structuring,  advising Dimitroff and finagling the salary cap.   I don't know how much Arthur Blank pays him but I guarantee he will survive the purge should TD and DQ get the axe.   This guy knows what he is doing - amazing how much room he has created.

Yep, I'm still mad at him though lol he came into my store one time to get his daughters laptop fixed and was like "ill hook you up with tickets" or something can't remember now, but I wasn't there when he came back and I never heard anything about em haha. But yeah, he's doing a great job with these numbers

13 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Being fair, your OP talked about how "this is the guy" doing all the money moving, and you said he'd survive if "TD and DQ didn't," as well as the whole "will the real cap guru please stand up?" Even if you weren't totally explicit, the post said he was doing the good stuff and TD wasn't. I know what you're saying, not harping, but that's what it looks like. 

56 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I mean it clearly says they work closely together. Where does it say Polk does it all while TD stands in the corner?

People love to hate TD around here.

8 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Being fair, your OP talked about how "this is the guy" doing all the money moving, and you said he'd survive if "TD and DQ didn't," as well as the whole "will the real cap guru please stand up?" Even if you weren't totally explicit, the post said he was doing the good stuff and TD wasn't. I know what you're saying, not harping, but that's what it looks like. 

He knows what he was doing.

9 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Fair enough.

51 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Bro we got like $2.5M in space and had to jettison dam near a dozen players. Several of them starters. That's cap hail.

Hahahaha haha...

What about the talent we’ve signed this off season what about that.

What about the core guys we locked down and were still able to sign guys last off season lol.

So we’ve got 2.5 according to you or a cap website do you think that really means anything.

What are you saying we can’t pay our draft class what are you even saying.

Remember before FA you came on here saying the same old ****e and then the FO make moves you probably deemed impossible or that’s the line you tried to sell on here.

Every year the same old tired line cap space next minute the FO move and make signings every year.

5 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Bro we got like $2.5M in space and had to jettison dam near a dozen players. Several of them starters. That's cap hail.

Not when you replace with your boy Gurley and @Ovie_Lover’s guy Fowler. I mean seriously, who did we lose that breaks your heart? Hooper? We replaced him with a viable option in Hurst.

Biggest loss to me is Trufant, and we’ll address that in draft.

You’re not pleased with offseason so far? SMH, these were the kind of moves you’ve been pushing for in here for years. 

46 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

We have 14.3 million in space right now. Check OTC. If cap goes to 240 mil in 2021 like expected, we have around 65 mil then. And even after the Fowler and Gurley signings, we'll have roughly 45 mil in space next year and be fine this year. Seems like we're doing ok to me. 

Not a huge Dimi fan, you should know that, but he's having a killer offseason so far. Campbell for 8.5 mil is a colossal overpay imho, and Hooper for 11 mil is market value but I love Hurst compared to him (call it bias). We're already a better team than last year if you ask me.

No we don't. That number assumes Tru's cap relief which we don't get until 6/1.

Nor does it account for Fowler, Gurley or the draft class. That's likely $16-20M.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

We are pushing money into the future.  Kind of like trading in for a new car every two years.

Can the Falcons buy gap insurance?

Of course we are. We are pushing it into a future when we start re-building post-julio/Ryan, which is exactly what I said we’d do when all those silly threads were being made.  

35 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Oh forgot to mention constantly restructuring contracts

Your a joker so the Aints been doing this ****e for years and it’s actually quite common round the league but since the Falcons do it this is an issue all of a sudden.

Worse thing for you I bet if the Falcons were winning the Cap don’t mean jack if we were $1 under for those given seasons you’d just move the bar somewhere else.

Why do you care about money for anyway.

Why don’t you have another look and get stuck into these coaches there as much to blame fo the poor performance of this team than anyone else.

Oh that’s right coaching don’t matter until the narrative is Falcons v Pats gotcha seeing this happen before it does.

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

No we don't. That number assumes Tru's cap relief which we don't get until 6/1.

Nor does it account for Fowler, Gurley or the draft class. That's likely $16-20M.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/atlanta-falcons/

Wrong as usual. Trufant is still listed and is counting for 15.15 mil in that figure. All you had to do was actually look to know that.

Correct that Fowler and Gurley aren't on there though.

Draft class? The draft class will account for 6.829 million MINUS at least the bottom 6 contracts on the roster. Every rookie signed pushes somebody else off.

The bottom six contracts cost 4.66 million. The entire draft class costs 2.2 million in cap space.

25 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/atlanta-falcons/

Wrong as usual. Trufant is still listed and is counting for 15.15 mil in that figure. All you had to do was actually look to know that.

Correct that Fowler and Gurley aren't on there though.

Draft class? The draft class will account for 6.829 million MINUS at least the bottom 6 contracts on the roster. Every rookie signed pushes somebody else off.

The bottom six contracts cost 4.66 million. The entire draft class costs 2.2 million in cap space.

So it doesn't include Fowler or Gurley? What about McCray, Reynolds and Treadwell? Draft class? No you say? Then I was right. We don't have $14M in cap space.

42 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Not when you replace with your boy Gurley and @Ovie_Lover’s guy Fowler. I mean seriously, who did we lose that breaks your heart? Hooper? We replaced him with a viable option in Hurst.

Biggest loss to me is Trufant, and we’ll address that in draft.

You’re not pleased with offseason so far?

I'm not pleased with not having a starting LCB, starting SLB, LG hole, no DT depth, no LB depth, no cap space and having to rely on rookies to plug all those holes.