g-dawg

The Falcons Unsung Hero - doin' work

163 posts in this topic

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/front-office-roster/nick-polk

Will the real cap guru, please stand up?

polk_nick_new

Biography

Nick Polk enters his 11th season as director of football operations in 2018. He spent five seasons as the club's director of football administration and enters his 16th year overall with the team. He works closely with General Manager Thomas Dimitroff on all contract proposals, negotiations, and salary cap management. Polk also helps coordinate the Falcons compliance with the NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement and labor-related issues.

G-Dawg:

TD gets a lot of praise for cap wizardry but this is the guy moving all the money around, re-structuring,  advising Dimitroff and finagling the salary cap.   I don't know how much Arthur Blank pays him but I guarantee he will survive the purge should TD and DQ get the axe.   This guy knows what he is doing - amazing how much room he has created.

Or maybe he is TD's right hand man. I don't see anywhere that he is the main guy.

How did you come to your conclusion that he is the guy that deserves more credit?

The Don™ likes this

18 hours ago, g-dawg said:

polk_nick_new

Biography

Nick Polk enters his 11th season as director of football operations in 2018. He spent five seasons as the club's director of football administration and enters his 16th year overall with the team. He works closely with General Manager Thomas Dimitroff on all contract proposals, negotiations, and salary cap management. Polk also helps coordinate the Falcons compliance with the NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement and labor-related issues.

G-Dawg:

TD gets a lot of praise for cap wizardry but this is the guy moving all the money around, re-structuring,  advising Dimitroff and finagling the salary cap.   I don't know how much Arthur Blank pays him but I guarantee he will survive the purge should TD and DQ get the axe.   This guy knows what he is doing - amazing how much room he has created.

What happened to all those chicken little  “let’s blow it up/ we’re in cap hail” threads?

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Bro we got like $2.5M in space and had to jettison dam near a dozen players. Several of them starters. That's cap hail.

Who did we let go of that you wanted to keep? Love to hear it

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Complain about cap **** then wanna resign everybody. Part for the course for the hypocrite.

Cap hail is only ok when you do it, right?

Yeah I wanted to resign them but we were in cap hail and couldn't so I complained. Where's the disconnect?

10 minutes ago, Vandy said:

What happened to all those chicken little  “let’s blow it up/ we’re in cap he’ll” threads?

We are pushing money into the future.  Kind of like trading in for a new car every two years.

Can the Falcons buy gap insurance?

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

Just now, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Yeah I wanted to resign them but we were in cap hail and couldn't so I complained. Where's the disconnect?

Moves like that are exactly what got us tight against the cap. You ***** about Tru and Freeman's contract and then wanna turn right around and make the same mistake....

You wanna ***** about it and then make the exact moves that got us there

GATXBOI and Osiruz like this

7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Bro we got like $2.5M in space and had to jettison dam near a dozen players. Several of them starters. That's cap hail.

We have 14.3 million in space right now. Check OTC. If cap goes to 240 mil in 2021 like expected, we have around 65 mil then. And even after the Fowler and Gurley signings, we'll have roughly 45 mil in space next year and be fine this year. Seems like we're doing ok to me. 

Not a huge Dimi fan, you should know that, but he's having a killer offseason so far. Campbell for 8.5 mil is a colossal overpay imho, and Hooper for 11 mil is market value but I love Hurst compared to him (call it bias). We're already a better team than last year if you ask me.

37 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

polk_nick_new

Biography

G-Dawg:

C'mon man.  gdawg, dude, for the love of football & this forum, why would you want to take an underhanded swipe at TD.

I would imagine that a great deal of the GM's around the league consult with gentlemen just like this.  

Although I very much appreciate this guy genuinely, TD is very much in charge of negotiating with the player & agents.

C'mon bro!!  Is this click bait for TD hater attention?  :lol:

The Don™ likes this

3 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

We have 14.3 million in space right now. Check OTC. If cap goes to 240 mil in 2021 like expected, we have around 65 mil then. And even after the Fowler and Gurley signings, we'll have roughly 45 mil in space next year and be fine this year. Seems like we're doing ok to me. 

Not a huge Dimi fan, you should know that, but he's having a killer offseason so far. Campbell for 8.5 mil is a colossal overpay imho, and Hooper for 11 mil is market value but I love Hurst compared to him (call it bias). We're already a better team than last year if you ask me.

Agreed. However, I do think we are in win now mode, and the continually pushing money to the future will have eventual consequences.  I am ok with the future consequences, because we need to take advantage of our great players now.  Father time is catching up to them.  Win now, pay for it later.  

PokerSteve, The Don™ and GATXBOI like this

Just now, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Moves like that are exactly what got us tight against the cap. You ***** about Tru and Freeman's contract and then wanna turn right around and make the same mistake....

You wanna ***** about it and then make the exact moves that got us there

I don't want to make moves like extending SackmakerBaker, giving Shredder a huge raise, overpaying Free, giving Bustley $12.8M, overpaying Carpenter, Brown and Sombrero, giving $20M to a hood ornament, picking up KeKe's option, signing ButtaFusco, extending Ryan before we had to, overpaying Tru etc. It's moves like that that get you in cap hail.

GATXBOI and Charles Wright like this

Lol. If you gonna run a company, you want A players running your ship. If anything that shows TD has good team in place. Now you are a loser, you hire bunch of losers to run your company and go down the drain.

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I don't want to make moves like extending SackmakerBaker, giving Shredder a huge raise, overpaying Free, giving Bustley $12.8M, overpaying Carpenter, Brown and Sombrero, giving $20M to a hood ornament, picking up KeKe's option, signing ButtaFusco, extending Ryan before we had to, overpaying Tru etc. It's moves like that that get you in cap hail.

Just lol at thinking giving Campbell and hoop a combined 20 million is better than any of those moves.

3 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Agreed. However, I do think we are in win now mode, and the continually pushing money to the future will have eventual consequences.  I am ok with the future consequences, because we need to take advantage of our great players now.  Father time is catching up to them.  Win now, pay for it later.  

I used to agree with that, but when I look at the Saints, they continually push money forward and never seem to hit the wall. Maybe they will when Brees leaves but if the cap rises, maybe not.

Just now, BlazerSlayer said:

I used to agree with that, but when I look at the Saints, they continually push money forward and never seem to hit the wall. Maybe they will when Brees leaves but if the cap rises, maybe not.

They had 3 straight 7 & 9 seasons. It affected them for awhile.

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Just lol at thinking giving Campbell and hoop a combined 20 million is better than any of those moves.

Oh forgot to mention constantly restructuring contracts

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Everything is simple as **** when you have the advantage of looking back in hindsight.  You can literally pick & choose both good & bad for any GM in the league.  

When it all boils down to gravy this ain't enough to cover a chicken fried steak   No matter what some of y'all say or complain about, TD is highly respected around the league.  Even with mistakes, he's as good as most anyone in the league.  

Why do we have to do this all the time?