Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Macintez

I know everyone has mentioned DB and DL for draft pick but how would the board feel if we took and Elite LB prospect?

6 minutes ago, LightningDawg58 said:

Yall do realize that injuries happen?
And even if we are in nickel 70% of the time, 30% of snaps equals about 20 snaps a game where you need 3 LBs on the field.

We have one good LB in Jones, and we have one quality LB in Foye.

You need 3 starting caliber LB's on the roster at least. We barely have 2. And what happens when (not if) those 2 guys miss games because of minor injuries, or miss several games due to major injury?

Heck, what happens when one of those guys, god forbid, needs to catch their breathe for a few plays? Do we not play anyone at LB?

The convo was about which LB we might take in the 1st or 2nd...  i thought.  We could stand to add 3 LBs to the roster IMHO.  

SAM is a critical position in the Falcons defense. The fact it has been manned with average ability/performance has contributed to its ineffectiveness.

2 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Patrick Queen. Can't say his name enough.

Next LSU great LB and would be a BEAST alongside Deion.

Elite Reaction time and instincts, Can track down the ballcarrier in a heartbeat through traffic. Great Tackler. Has shown to be a great blitzer when called upon. Good ability in zone and certainly has the speed to cover in man. Elite athleticism. He played better as the year went on and was all over the field in the CF playoffs.

You will be hard pressed to find an issue with him. The only issue for us would be fit. All 3 of Queen, Deion and Foye would be in that 220lb range. Do we ask Foye to bulk up? 

I like Queen a lot. I don’t know where he will go but if he fell to the end of round one I would love to trade up and get him so we have his 5th year option in hand.

If I had it my way, we would sign Roby Coleman, draft Kinlaw, trade back into round 1 for Queen.

3 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Murray isn't an elite prospect imho. Only two elite LB prospects this draft are Simmons and maybe Chaisson if he's put in the right positions to succeed. Jmho

If we're talking spots with the most elite level talent in the draft, I'd say it's OT, WT, and S. Followed shortly after by RB and OC. Not a stellar year for our needs. Very offense heavy. DT and LB have some really good 2nd tier prospects but only one or two blue chippers

You are one of the knowledgeable guys here, can you explain to me what about Murray isn't elite. Cause I'm not finding it. My only complaint about him is that he is sometimes too aggressive with his pursuit leading to cut backs. 

20 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

You are one of the knowledgeable guys here, can you explain to me what about Murray isn't elite. Cause I'm not finding it. My only complaint about him is that he is sometimes too aggressive with his pursuit leading to cut backs. 

I think he thinks too much sometimes, he doesn't come off as one of those guys who has a "feel" for the game, which I think is necessary to be elite. It makes a lot of sense when you look at all the film study he does and how smart he seems to be, too. Elite athlete, and he's certainly smart enough to be a great player in the league if he just allows himself to play...but he's not a Day 1 dude imho. I saw a comp somewhere, maybe Twitter, to Stephone Anthony - I think that's pretty accurate. I'd be super down for it Round 2. Not Round 1. I do think he has Debo-esque upside...but then again, we already have Debo and Foye, and he doesn't really fit at SAM to me, so where does that leave us?

Compare him to Patrick Queen - that dude has the instincts to be great imho. I like him almost as much as I liked Devin Bush last year. Big reason I hesitate to call him an elite prospect is his size and block deconstruction, but he's very underrated on that LSU defense.

18 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I think he thinks too much sometimes, he doesn't come off as one of those guys who has a "feel" for the game, which I think is necessary to be elite. It makes a lot of sense when you look at all the film study he does and how smart he seems to be, too. Elite athlete, and he's certainly smart enough to be a great player in the league if he just allows himself to play...but he's not a Day 1 dude imho. I saw a comp somewhere, maybe Twitter, to Stephone Anthony - I think that's pretty accurate. I'd be super down for it Round 2. Not Round 1. I do think he has Debo-esque upside...but then again, we already have Debo and Foye, and he doesn't really fit at SAM to me, so where does that leave us?

Compare him to Patrick Queen - that dude has the instincts to be great imho. I like him almost as much as I liked Devin Bush last year. Big reason I hesitate to call him an elite prospect is his size and block deconstruction, but he's very underrated on that LSU defense.

I think that's fair. I haven't noticed much hesitation in Murray's game but I will go back and watch some more with that in mind. Stephone is a good athletic comparison for sure, though I'd argue Stephone doesn't seek contact the way that Murray does. Murray isn't afraid to get in the trenches. Stephone's career also got derailed by injuries and Murray at least never missed a game at OU. I've seen a lot of people saying Murray doesn't fit at SLB, but I think he can make the transition. He does get stuck on blocks occasionally but has the length to stack and shed. 

I like Patrick Queen a lot too. I just think his size limits him to WLB. 

I think you need 5 capable LBs active on the roster every game. We don't even have 3 starters. LB has to be a priority over CB. There are 5 CBs on the roster and only 3 LBs. 2 of our corners have starting ability.

Sheffield would have tested better than all these corners in the draft at the combine. Looked good when Quinn finally gave up play calling duties and we started to play more man coverage, which both Oliver and Sheffield excel at. Most catches on Sheffield were contested, he was never burnt. Give the guy a chance to develop.

I'm honestly thinking Kenneth Murray in the 1st round.  I don't see enough depth for a 3rd or even a 2nd round selection of an outside linebacker to come in here and start.  C.J. Henderson would also be a good bet.  Oliver is at one CB spot, and you do need another starter.  Seems like 2020 would be a perfect time to put that Sheffield is a "2nd round talent" to the test.  There is enough depth at CB to bring in another guy in round 3 or even 4.

It will be interesting, but those are the top two positions I think we could go after.  I still like a move down.  If you could drop a few spots and still get a LB/CB you like and pick up a 3rd this year, that would be great.