Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Macintez

I know everyone has mentioned DB and DL for draft pick but how would the board feel if we took and Elite LB prospect?

They will definitely be there at our pick and having two explosive elite LB’s would do wonders for our 2nd Level. We already resigned Allen Bailey and I feel like we have a good bit of money invested on the first level and I think we have a good bit of young talent on the 2nd so how about Kenneth Murray? I know he’ll be there at 16...

If it’s not Simmons, he’s not elite...

A good LB can be had in 2nd-4th rounds...

DB in 1st

LB in 2nd

DT rotation: GJ, TD, Senat, Bailey

DE rotation: Fowler, Takk, Cominsky, Bailey, rest unproven

I think a LB that is a pass rusher more likely than coverage backer in 2nd...I think we like Foye a lot and he played more in the second half of season...also the need for SS is more than folks want to admit. Neal in his last year and he hasn’t played considerable amount in 3 years by the time the season rolls around

Murray isn't an elite prospect imho. Only two elite LB prospects this draft are Simmons and maybe Chaisson if he's put in the right positions to succeed. Jmho

If we're talking spots with the most elite level talent in the draft, I'd say it's OT, WT, and S. Followed shortly after by RB and OC. Not a stellar year for our needs. Very offense heavy. DT and LB have some really good 2nd tier prospects but only one or two blue chippers

Gotta go with the best available player, with the exception of a few obvious positions (QB, WR, DE if Quinn still believes in Takk, P, K). If that means LB, go for it. I can't say I could possibly know who is an "elite" prospect at this stage though since drafts are so unpredictable. Manny Lawson had similar physical attributes to Isaiah Simmons and he was garbage lol.

Patrick Queen. Can't say his name enough.

Next LSU great LB and would be a BEAST alongside Deion.

Elite Reaction time and instincts, Can track down the ballcarrier in a heartbeat through traffic. Great Tackler. Has shown to be a great blitzer when called upon. Good ability in zone and certainly has the speed to cover in man. Elite athleticism. He played better as the year went on and was all over the field in the CF playoffs.

You will be hard pressed to find an issue with him. The only issue for us would be fit. All 3 of Queen, Deion and Foye would be in that 220lb range. Do we ask Foye to bulk up? 

8 minutes ago, Ignatius R said:

Gotta go with the best available player, with the exception of a few obvious positions (QB, WR, DE if Quinn still believes in Takk, P, K). If that means LB, go for it. I can't say I could possibly know who is an "elite" prospect at this stage though since drafts are so unpredictable. Manny Lawson had similar physical attributes to Isaiah Simmons and he was garbage lol.

Manny freaking Lawson smh.... I had high hopes for him. 

38 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

If it’s not Simmons, he’s not elite...

A good LB can be had in 2nd-4th rounds...

DB in 1st

LB in 2nd

DT rotation: GJ, TD, Senat, Bailey

DE rotation: Fowler, Takk, Cominsky, Bailey, rest unproven

I think a LB that is a pass rusher more likely than coverage backer in 2nd...I think we like Foye a lot and he played more in the second half of season...also the need for SS is more than folks want to admit. Neal in his last year and he hasn’t played considerable amount in 3 years by the time the season rolls around

What elite DB is going to be available to us in the first? CJ Henderson? He's good but certainly not elite. 

LB would have to be elite to be worth the first rounder.

Much more likely CB, then LB.

I really wanted some FA defenders, because this is a great draft for midround WR, RB, OL.  It's not great at several of the defensive areas we could use.

49 minutes ago, Macintez said:

They will definitely be there at our pick and having two explosive elite LB’s would do wonders for our 2nd Level. We already resigned Allen Bailey and I feel like we have a good bit of money invested on the first level and I think we have a good bit of young talent on the 2nd so how about Kenneth Murray? I know he’ll be there at 16...

I'm down for K9 at 16

2 minutes ago, Sipifalcon said:

I'm down for K9 at 16

We literally don't have an SLB on the roster. We have to take one high. Even if somehow Kinlaw falls to us, you take him and trade back up into the first like we did last year and take K9. 

Posted (edited)

I dont mind LB in the first. The CB most people would take at 16 is Henderson who is supposedly amazing but hates contact. Florida  connection aside, I dont see Quinn having a player with a tackling liability high on his board.

That being said, if Chaisson is gone and Henderson is or isn't there, we could go either direction as any LB or CB would be a slight reach there. 

Reach, however, is subjective, considering we have a tendency to "reach" for the guys we are high on, even if the Message Board GMs think we could have waited it out or traded back and still got them later.

All that being said. I wouldnt be surprised or mad if we got Murray at 16 if that's who they decided was the best player available who  fit our need and scheme the best.

Im prepared for us to take any of the top remaining DBs or top remaining backers with our first pick. 

Henderson

McKinney

Fulton

Diggs

Terrell

-

Chaisson

Murray

Queen

Those are the names we are likely to hear at with our 1st round pick. Regardless of grade, regardless of position ranking. Whoever we like the most out of this bunch (if available) is who we are taking

Edited by LightningDawg58

5 minutes ago, gHost83 said:

We literally don't have an SLB on the roster. We have to take one high. Even if somehow Kinlaw falls to us, you take him and trade back up into the first like we did last year and take K9. 

You wouldn't here one peep out of me if that happens! 

We play nickel 70% of the time, teams are passing and more, finding more ways to get 3+ WR on the field.  So if it would be linebacker they would have to be 1) Simmons, 2) Someone very good in coverage, which I don’t know there is another guy worth that at 16.  I would rather see them take literally any other defensive position at 16 than LB, there likely won’t be an elite guy there so unless we trade down we are better off addressing it in the second or third.

Keanu Neal was a "reach" at the time when we took him. But he dang sure was worth the pick once we saw him play.

This draft is shaping up to be much like that '16 draft (pick range, and need-wise).  I dont think Quinn and TD will play the waiting game if they have a guy they like sitting right in front of them

40 minutes ago, LightningDawg58 said:

I dont mind LB in the first. The CB most people would take at 16 is Henderson who is supposedly amazing but hates contact. Florida  connection aside, I dont see Quinn having a player with a tackling liability high on his board.

That being said, if Chaisson is gone and Henderson is or isn't there, we could go either direction as any LB or CB would be a slight reach there. 

Reach, however, is subjective, considering we have a tendency to "reach" for the guys we are high on, even if the Message Board GMs think we could have waited it out or traded back and still got them later.

All that being said. I wouldnt be surprised or mad if we got Murray at 16 if that's who they decided was the best player available who  fit our need and scheme the best.

Im prepared for us to take any of the top remaining DBs or top remaining backers with our first pick. 

Henderson

McKinney

Fulton

Diggs

Terrell

-

Chaisson

Murray

Queen

Those are the names we are likely to hear at with our 1st round pick. Regardless of grade, regardless of position ranking. Whoever we like the most out of this bunch (if available) is who we are taking

The analysis of Henderson is what made me create this thread. Dude have cover skills but won’t tackle. Maybe it was to protect himself and draft stock but I don’t know. If he had Deion Sanders cover ability I would allow it. He does have blazing athleticism and cover skills but I just don’t know. Mental makeup and scheme fit would matter tremendously in his evaluation. If he ain’t it, we can jump on an amazing Will-LB in Murray.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Elite prospects are drafted in the Top 5, maybe Top 10...

Stop with the elite at16 unless willing to trade up

Ed Reed wasn’t elite at 24? To add onto that. How many top 10 picks have been straight up busts? How quick we forget Vic lol

Edited by Macintez

13 minutes ago, Macintez said:

The analysis of Henderson is what made me create this thread. Dude have cover skills but won’t tackle. Maybe it was to protect himself and draft stock but I don’t know. If he had Deion Sanders cover ability I would allow it. He does have blazing athleticism and cover skills but I just don’t know. Mental makeup and scheme fit would matter tremendously in his evaluation. If he ain’t it, we can jump on an amazing Will-LB in Murray.

You do realize that much of the time the Falcons don't have more than two LBs on the field?

Just now, m2Falcons said:

You do realize that much of the time the Falcons don't have more than two LBs on the field?

We probably would if they were serviceable. Seahawks had two pro bowl Caliber LB’s when Quinn was there and their defense was pretty good with them both.

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

You do realize that we just lost one that played 90% of our defensive snaps?

Duh.

My response is due to him emphasing Murray fits as a WILL LB.  When the critical LB position needing replacement/IMPROVEMENT is the SAM

Just now, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Guess I should have read better lol

Naw....  I didn't really make my point/intention clear. This LB topic need and role topic is so difficult because many don't realize that not every LB from college can just Plug N Play (and be effective) into an NFL defense....  and especially so the Falcons' defense.

Posted (edited)

Yall do realize that injuries happen?
And even if we are in nickel 70% of the time, 30% of snaps equals about 20 snaps a game where you need 3 LBs on the field.

We have one good LB in Jones, and we have one quality LB in Foye.

You need 3 starting caliber LB's on the roster at least. We barely have 2. And what happens when (not if) those 2 guys miss games because of minor injuries, or miss several games due to major injury?

Heck, what happens when one of those guys, god forbid, needs to catch their breathe for a few plays? Do we not play anyone at LB?

Edited by LightningDawg58