FalconsIn2012

Murray/Queen in 1st or Brooks in 3rd?

36 posts in this topic

So most of our glaring needs have been addressed.  Outside of our 16th pick, we can go BPA on defense with every pick (would still like Muti OG if he falls to 4th).  So it begs the question: is our hole at SAM or DE?  Just depends on how we use Fowler.

For now I’ll assume we will plug Fowler into Vic’s role which leaves us empty at SAM.  For that reason I think we go LB with our 16th pick and Murray is the logical pick unless Brown or Simmons are available for some reason.  
 

If Brown falls to us, we can still address SAM in the 3rd with one of my favorite guys in the draft, Jordyn Brooks.

 

So how do you guys see us addressing SAM?  It’s really all that’s left outside of adding depth

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get Cam Brown in rounds 4-6 and get a steal. Not sure where he goes...I initially thought 5-6 but you never know w these day 3 guys.

Very good at covering TE/RB. Plays faster than his forty run (before someone points it out) and drew a lot of praise for his performances in drills.

at 6’5” 235 he fits that long, lanky mold Q loves too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Murray and Kinlaw are my guys as far as who I believe will be available so my vote is easy. 

Murray is like having another bigger, faster Deion Jones on the field. He's insanely gifted and is a natural leader. He can do everything you want at the SAM position and is being criminally underrated in mock drafts. I'm cold on all the 1st round rushers right now and would prefer DT, LB, CB, S, or even OG (if Wirfs or Thomas falls) over DE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my dream world we could trade back 5-10 spots, pick up a 2nd or 3rd, and grab Murray or Queen. I'd still be happy with them at 16.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

Murray and Kinlaw are my guys as far as who I believe will be available so my vote is easy. 

Murray is like having another bigger, faster Deion Jones on the field. He's insanely gifted and is a natural leader. He can do everything you want at the SAM position and is being criminally underrated in mock drafts. I'm cold on all the 1st round rushers right now and would prefer DT, LB, CB, S, or even OG (if Wirfs or Thomas falls) over DE. 

Deion Jones is fast, but his real talent is smarts.  Murray is a fast athlete, but not very sharp between the ears.  I would not draft Murray in the first.....at least not for the SLB position.  I think he will look best a the WLB position.  Give him straight up directives and he will execute.  

Murray is no Debo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dukeduke211 said:

Brooks looks real good!!

I like Brooks, but he's a downhill dude. Can't cover at all. He's risky in some ways. Harrison is similar but a bit better in coverage.

4 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Get Cam Brown in rounds 4-6 and get a steal. Not sure where he goes...I initially thought 5-6 but you never know w these day 3 guys.

Very good at covering TE/RB. Plays faster than his forty run (before someone points it out) and drew a lot of praise for his performances in drills.

at 6’5” 235 he fits that long, lanky mold Q loves too.

I love Cameron Brown. He's super talented, no idea why he has so little hype. We could take him in the 3rd and I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I like Brooks, but he's a downhill dude. Can't cover at all. He's risky in some ways. Harrison is similar but a bit better in coverage.

I love Cameron Brown. He's super talented, no idea why he has so little hype. We could take him in the 3rd and I wouldn't have a problem with it.

He also has leadership qualities and was a team captain. Micah Parsons took all the attention in that LB group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chaisson is my soltuion to SAM. SAM is a do everything backer. They have to be able to set the edge in run support. They have to be able to turn and run with TE's and sometimes slot receivers and they also have to provide some pass rush.

Chaisson checks every box for the position. When your SAM can do everything, the play caller can be much more creative in his calls and coverages. Campbell was *** cakes in coverage so we had to hide him as much as possible which rarely worked and he got torched anyway. . With Chaisson he can do it all. No limitations.

ATLSlobberKnockers and duckhoa like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Deion Jones is fast, but his real talent is smarts.  Murray is a fast athlete, but not very sharp between the ears.  I would not draft Murray in the first.....at least not for the SLB position.  I think he will look best a the WLB position.  Give him straight up directives and he will execute.  

Murray is no Debo.

I have no idea where you would get that Murray doesn't have the intelligence. Murray studies film for 5 or more hours a day during the season. He studies as much mentally for the game as he does physically. 

"I try to pattern my game after guys like Luke Kuechly, and seeing how smart he is, how much time he puts into the film room, I think that's extremely critical for being a really good linebacker," Murray said. "Seeing all those plays, getting my little hints and stuff before the game, being able to put my teammates in better position to make plays is definitely the type of guy I am."

Source: https://www.packers.com/news/oklahoma-lb-kenneth-murray-s-talent-stands-out-as-much-as-his-story 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I like Brooks, but he's a downhill dude. Can't cover at all. He's risky in some ways. Harrison is similar but a bit better in coverage.

I love Cameron Brown. He's super talented, no idea why he has so little hype. We could take him in the 3rd and I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Brooks will need to improve down field coverage.  He simply wasn’t asked to do it so it’s an unknown.  He also wasn’t asked to shed blocks very often.  So it’s another unknown.

But he can handle the flats in coverage.  But I like his speed, range and tackling ability...plus he is really effective disrupting the backfield.  20 TFL and 3.5 sacks is good production.  Clearly not a finished product, but a very high ceiling IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

I have no idea where you would get that Murray doesn't have the intelligence. Murray studies film for 5 or more hours a day during the season. He studies as much mentally for the game as he does physically. 

"I try to pattern my game after guys like Luke Kuechly, and seeing how smart he is, how much time he puts into the film room, I think that's extremely critical for being a really good linebacker," Murray said. "Seeing all those plays, getting my little hints and stuff before the game, being able to put my teammates in better position to make plays is definitely the type of guy I am."

Source: https://www.packers.com/news/oklahoma-lb-kenneth-murray-s-talent-stands-out-as-much-as-his-story 

And it shows on the field too.

Artys Arryn likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Get Cam Brown in rounds 4-6 and get a steal. Not sure where he goes...I initially thought 5-6 but you never know w these day 3 guys.

Very good at covering TE/RB. Plays faster than his forty run (before someone points it out) and drew a lot of praise for his performances in drills.

at 6’5” 235 he fits that long, lanky mold Q loves too.

Yep Cam Brown is being slept on. Another is Jacob Phillips (the other LSU LB). Either guy should be there on day 3.

1989Fan likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Brooks will need to improve down field coverage.  He simply wasn’t asked to do it so it’s an unknown.  He also wasn’t asked to shed blocks very often.  So it’s another unknown.

But he can handle the flats in coverage.  But I like his speed, range and tackling ability...plus he is really effective disrupting the backfield.  20 TFL and 3.5 sacks is good production.  Clearly not a finished product, but a very high ceiling IMO

I like Brooks, and I totally think he can be good in the right situation. But if he doesn't get into it, he'll look like a massive bust. See: Jarrad Davis in Detroit atm. Or Kyle Van Noy in Detroit compared to in New England. But yeah, I love his playstyle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, etherdome said:

Deion Jones is fast, but his real talent is smarts.  Murray is a fast athlete, but not very sharp between the ears.  I would not draft Murray in the first.....at least not for the SLB position.  I think he will look best a the WLB position.  Give him straight up directives and he will execute.  

Murray is no Debo.

Etherdome,  this is a very interesting take on Murray.  Please clarify this a little further. 
I am sincere in wanting to know your opinion.  

Jerz #Quinning and Sipifalcon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Cameron Brown is garbage. Dude looks so stiff and slow. He just doesn't look like a football player at all to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

I think Cameron Brown is garbage. Dude looks so stiff and slow. He just doesn't look like a football player at all to me. 

What are your thoughts on this small school sleeper LB.  

LB: Dante Olson, Montana

Another FCS prospect out of Montana, Dante Olson is "a diamond in the rough." He shattered his school's single season tackle record last year (151 tackles). He's great at identifying the ball carrier and isn't afraid to drop back in coverage with confidence against a bigger tight end or a faster running back. One of my favorite prospects going into 2020 draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

What are your thoughts on this small school sleeper LB.  

LB: Dante Olson, Montana

Another FCS prospect out of Montana, Dante Olson is "a diamond in the rough." He shattered his school's single season tackle record last year (151 tackles). He's great at identifying the ball carrier and isn't afraid to drop back in coverage with confidence against a bigger tight end or a faster running back. One of my favorite prospects going into 2020 draft.

Just my preference, but I'd rather have a faster guy playing LB. One who can run with a TE down the seam and get the RB's coming out of the backfield. He does seem like a springy athlete though and obviously good at seeing and attacking the ball. To me, his best shot is playing ILB in an odd man front. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Artys Arryn said:

I have no idea where you would get that Murray doesn't have the intelligence. Murray studies film for 5 or more hours a day during the season. He studies as much mentally for the game as he does physically. 

"I try to pattern my game after guys like Luke Kuechly, and seeing how smart he is, how much time he puts into the film room, I think that's extremely critical for being a really good linebacker," Murray said. "Seeing all those plays, getting my little hints and stuff before the game, being able to put my teammates in better position to make plays is definitely the type of guy I am."

Source: https://www.packers.com/news/oklahoma-lb-kenneth-murray-s-talent-stands-out-as-much-as-his-story 

Nearly every write up includes his often maddening over-runs of plays.  He is often baited into over-pursuing and is consequently washed out of making plays.  

It is not that he is not intelligent.  It is that during a game, his passions over rule his thinking.  

I know that my previous post accused Murray of not being smart.  What I should have written was that he is too passionate and that he should be more savvy than emotional.  Duke Riley was far less intelligent than Murray but the same sort of thing happened to him.  He took himself out of plays.

I think that Murray will make a very good WLB in the NFL.  And I think we will not be the team that drafts him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Osiruz said:

Murray will be a star player, but knowing TD we will reach for need. 

Edit:

I also like Akeem Davis Gaither.

Murray has great speed and athleticism.  He should be a WLB and would probably star in that position.  We, on the other hand, need a SLB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clark Kent™ said:

I think Cameron Brown is garbage. Dude looks so stiff and slow. He just doesn't look like a football player at all to me. 

Well, that settles it then.
 

this obviously is not your scouting report on him!

PROS: A rangy defender with notable athleticism, Brown has been moved all over by the Lions. He got some reps up on the line of scrimmage but with most consistency he was playing on the second level. Penn State utilized him quite frequently as a zone defender in the flats, going as far as to flex him out with slot receivers or tight ends. He's got good burst in the open field and has the range to play a WILL position effectively as a pursuit option. Showed good habits to attack the football as a tackler, forcing numerous fumbles (Iowa 2018) along the way. 

CONS: His range comes at a cost -- he's super lean. He doesn't showcase desirable functional strength to step down and bang heads with blockers at the point of attack and he's effectively neutralized on the edge with skill players with too much frequency. There's a lot of incidents of him falling off of tackles as he throws himself into challenges, I'd love to see a little more control to place with his feet behind him in order to roll hips through contact and provide a more ample push back against ball carriers in head up tackle situations.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I would love Zach Baun in the 2nd to play SLB. Probably wont be there at 47 though but its possible. Maybe a trade back in the 1st and then a trade up in the 30-40 range? Dont know if I'd take him Rd1 but I could see it happening. Real smart player with good pass rushing moves but also can drop into coverage. Definitely more of a liability in coverage than a Murray or Queen though.

Right now assuming Kinlaw is gone, I'm taking either Henderson or Murray. With Diggs and Baun being considerations. Maaaybe Chaisson if hes there to play SLB but need a CB and true LB more so IMO. Could get on board with Chaisson in time probably 

I do like Jordyn Brooks in the 3rd though if we go DL, CB, or OL with the first 2 picks. Trade back and get an additional 3rd and get all before Brooks and yezzir

Edited by FalconsAllDayUrDay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Well, that settles it then.
 

this obviously is not your scouting report on him!

PROS: A rangy defender with notable athleticism, Brown has been moved all over by the Lions. He got some reps up on the line of scrimmage but with most consistency he was playing on the second level. Penn State utilized him quite frequently as a zone defender in the flats, going as far as to flex him out with slot receivers or tight ends. He's got good burst in the open field and has the range to play a WILL position effectively as a pursuit option. Showed good habits to attack the football as a tackler, forcing numerous fumbles (Iowa 2018) along the way. 

CONS: His range comes at a cost -- he's super lean. He doesn't showcase desirable functional strength to step down and bang heads with blockers at the point of attack and he's effectively neutralized on the edge with skill players with too much frequency. There's a lot of incidents of him falling off of tackles as he throws himself into challenges, I'd love to see a little more control to place with his feet behind him in order to roll hips through contact and provide a more ample push back against ball carriers in head up tackle situations.

 

Haha nope. I haven't looked up any of his numbers. He may be fast af for all I know. But from what I see, he seems like a slow reactor to everything and not agile. His frame looks like the Cunningham kid out of Vandy a few years back (who I liked), but he doesn't have near the athletic ability on tape. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now