Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BirdGangATL

2014 falcons draft

Has got to be the weakest and bust draft year ever for us.  

1. Jake Matthews, OT, Texas (A&M) Pick Story | Where Will He Play? 
  2. Ra'Shede Hageman, DT/DE, Minnesota | Pick Story | Where Will He Play? 
  3. Dezmen Southward, FS, Wisconsin | Pick Story
  4. Devonta Freeman, RB, Florida State | Pick Story
  5. Prince Shembo, OLB, Notre Dame | Pick Story
  6. Ricardo Allen, CB, Purdue | Pick Story
  7. Marquis Spruill, ILB, Syracuse | Pick Story
  8. Yawin Smallwood, LB, Connecticut | Pick Story
  9. Tyler Starr, OLB, South Dakota | Pick Story

TD!

6 minutes ago, Wolfensheim said:

Yeah... no.

Considering that two of these guys are still on the team and three got second contracts, I'd say we've definitely had worse drafts. 

Nah playa, look at round 2 and 3, horrible

You’re very wrong. Go look at 2012. This has been discussed before and not too long ago.

Besides, any draft where you get an All Pro (Freeman), a pro bowler (Matthews) and a starter (Allen) is actually a really good draft. You have some pretty outlandish expectations if this is a all time bad draft, and you must not have seen many draft classes.

Honestly this draft pissed me off so much because we skip on one of the best linebackers late in the draft like three times. Telvin Smith. We had a need and missed horribly that year 

46 minutes ago, BirdGangATL said:

TD!

Ding ding ding! We have an early winner for dumbest thread of the week!

14 minutes ago, quotemokc said:

Please tell me which teams had a better draft than us that year.

Well I just looked at it and the Rams, raiders, Dallas killed it, Houston imo, but we didn’t do horribly. We missed at 2 and 3 and linebacker even though we selected 4 of them lol. But three pro bowl caliber players is good. I wanted Mack that year so badly for this defense. 

2 minutes ago, thethirdtate said:

Well I just looked at it and the Rams, raiders, Dallas killed it, Houston imo, but we didn’t do horribly. We missed at 2 and 3 and linebacker even though we selected 4 of them lol. But three pro bowl caliber players is good. I wanted Mack that year so badly for this defense. 

Raiders one all pro (Mack), in pro bowler (Carr) who is losing his job. Starter w Gabe Jackson. Made 8 picks

Rams got an all pro (Donald) a huge bust at #2 (Robinson), and a starter (Joyner) out of 11 picks. Hardly a great draft, just 1 great player.

Cowboys got and All Pro (Martin) Pro Bowler (Lawrence) and spit starter (Hitchens) who didn’t get resigned. They made 9 picks

6 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Raiders one all pro (Mack), in pro bowler (Carr) who is losing his job. Starter w Gabe Jackson. Made 8 picks

Rams got an all pro (Donald) a huge bust at #2 (Robinson), and a starter (Joyner) out of 11 picks. Hardly a great draft, just 1 great player.

Cowboys got and All Pro (Martin) Pro Bowler (Lawrence) and spit starter (Hitchens) who didn’t get resigned. They made 9 picks

Mack went before Falcons picked, not really a choice either. 

9 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

We made nine picks and only two are left on our team now. A decent LT and a decent converted safety. Cowboys definitely have two studs over us. Mack alone was a better draft than our and so is Aaron Donald. Who I thought we should’ve drafted over matthews. 

5 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

There are some legitimate drafts you could call out TD but you clowns keep embarrassing with crappy posts. 

I agree this wasn’t bad. Only issue I had was how we missed on linebacker four times lol. One of them should have been a hit 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BirdGangATL said:

TD!

How on earth is that a bust draft?

• Jake Matthews has been our starting LT since and plays one of the most important positions in the game.
  • Hageman was a starter for about a season and key part to our SB run in 2016. Did not pan out like we would have hoped but still not the worst pick ever.
  • Freeman was one of the best RBs in the league for a few years and again also one of our key parts to the 2016 run
  • Ricardo Allen is still starting to this day at FS

Their are drafts where teams have no contributors and every player sucked. Our 2014 draft is no where close to that.

2012 and 2010 are easily TDs worst drafts. 2017 is shaping up to be ugly too depending on if Takk ever stops getting hurt and being the 'almost got a sack' guy. Kazee was a nice find in that draft though.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

36 minutes ago, thethirdtate said:

We made nine picks and only two are left on our team now. A decent LT and a decent converted safety. Cowboys definitely have two studs over us. Mack alone was a better draft than our and so is Aaron Donald. Who I thought we should’ve drafted over matthews. 

Thank you!  Ricardo Allen isn’t even all that, he’s a below average safety only, he’s too small also, jake Matthews was our only decent pick in that draft

3 minutes ago, BirdGangATL said:

Thank you!  Ricardo Allen isn’t even all that, he’s a below average safety only, he’s too small also, jake Matthews was our only decent pick in that draft

Allen was a 5th round pick. You PRAY to land someone that has done what Allen has done with a 5th round pick. The only more productive 5th round pick from that draft was Telvin Smith who is now retired.

Devonta Freeman was a 4th round pick. He was not a good pick? The man was the 2nd most productive RB for 3 seasons between 2015-2017. Again, You PRAY for that sort of production from a 4th round pick. He was the ONLY 4th round pick to make a pro bowl from that draft.

Jake Matthews has been a starter since day 1.

Hageman helped the SB run. His personal issues ended up ruining his career after that season. That draft in general was bad for DTs other than Aaron Donald. The rest all had mediocre to bad careers so it would not have mattered which one we drafted...They all stunk.

If you think our 2014 draft was one of the worst you clearly don't follow the draft too closely. 

2 hours ago, BirdGangATL said:

TD!

Two pro bowlers and a great starter and team leader.  This isn’t your best take.  See 2012 (Konz draft) for the definition of bust

Matthews and Rico are still on the team and Freeman was a key piece for us. 

Hageman was okay at times, but was a total head case. 

Also wasn't Shembo involved with animal cruelty or something? There was a zero percent chance we were going to keep him with our history of players and dogs...

He's definitely had worse drafts. 2012 sticks out:

2) Peter Konz-Center-Wisconsin

3) Lamar Holmes-Offensive Tackle-Southern Miss

5) Bradie Ewing-Fullback-Wisconsin

5) Jonathan Massaquoi-Linebacker-Troy

6) Charles Mitchell-Safety-Mississippi State

7) Travian Robertson-Defensive Tackle-South Carolina

Or, if you want more recent, how about 2017? Not the most atrocious draft I've ever seen, but definitely worse than 2014.

1) Takkarist McKinley-Defensive End-UCLA

3) Duke Riley-Linebacker-LSU

4) Sean Harlow-Guard-Oregon State

5) Damontae Kazee-Cornerback-San Diego State

5) Brian Hill-Running Back-Wyoming

5) Eric Saubert-Tight End-Drake

If you think that one is bad,, you need to look at some other drafts we had..  they make that one look like we made an 80 on that test... We've had a lot of drafts where we failed the test completely.  We have been getting better for the last few years. since TD has gotten here.  The only few Falcon teams that ever did much,, Was when we added FAs and hit on our top two picks.. which anybody can do.. it's the teams that hit on the lower half of the draft that start passing everybody else during the season. 

2 hours ago, thethirdtate said:

Our ‘decent’ LT graded out top 5 in the NFL. Mack went before us so we can’t argue that. We don’t need to have the best draft to have a good draft. By NFL standards we had a very good draft. That doesn’t change because LAR hit on one great player.

this isn’t Talladega Nights Ricky Bobby “if you’re not first your last”

1 hour ago, 1989Fan said:

Our ‘decent’ LT graded out top 5 in the NFL. Mack went before us so we can’t argue that. We don’t need to have the best draft to have a good draft. By NFL standards we had a very good draft. That doesn’t change because LAR hit on one great player.

this isn’t Talladega Nights Ricky Bobby “if you’re not first your last”

Lol I agree and that’s my movie so why not go by those standards. I agree the draft wasn’t horrible except those linebackers but pretty good and not his worst by any means.