Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
g-dawg

Falcons beatwriter mock - the Athletic - Jason Butt

First round, No. 16 overall: Oklahoma LB Kenneth Murray

Murray’s speed is undeniable. As one of the fastest linebackers in this year’s draft class, Murray plays the game with exceptional urgency. While his official 40-yard dash at the scouting combine was 4.52 seconds — still very fast — he has a much quicker football speed, evidenced by how quickly he closes on ballcarriers.

With Campbell off to the Arizona Cardinals, the Falcons have two proven linebackers on the roster in Deion Jones and Foye Oluokun. Murray seemingly would jump into the Sam and Will conversation at the position if selected by the Falcons. Murray found himself in opposing offenses’ backfields repeatedly during the past three seasons. As a junior in 2019, Murray totaled 17 tackles for loss, in addition to his 102 total tackles. His career-high in tackles came in 2018 when he had 155.

He can also get to the passer when called upon as he recorded four sacks last season and 4.5 in the season prior. Murray, checking in at 6-2 and 234 pounds, would fill a major need, which makes him a prime option to take in the first round of this year’s draft.

Second round, 47th overall: Washington C Nick Harris

Not many NFL Draft writers have Harris this high. As the draft approaches during the next month, that should change. Perhaps one reason draft writers haven’t positioned Harris as high could simply be due to the position he plays. While interior offensive linemen are being selected higher in the draft year after year, it’s not a position many seem to mock in the early rounds. Remember, just last year, two interior linemen — Chris Lindstrom and Garrett Bradbury — went off the board in the top 20. Therefore, Harris is someone to keep an eye on as the draft process continues to unfold.

Harris is an intelligent lineman who has started 38 of Washington’s past 40 games. His position versatility helps, too, seeing that he started games at guard and center in college. The Falcons need a guard in the short term, with left guard still up for grabs. They also need a center for the long haul since Alex Mack is entering the final year of his contract. Harris also has a major supporter in Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy, who got a close look at Harris during this year’s event. Nagy even mentioned that numerous teams have a top-50 grade on Harris.

Could Atlanta be one of those teams? We’ll have to wait and see.

Third round, 78th overall: Florida State RB Cam Akers

While the Falcons signed Todd Gurley last week, he’ll operate under a one-year deal with no guarantee that he will be with the team past the 2020 season. Therefore, running back is yet again a need for Atlanta to address, even with Brian Hill, Ito Smith and Qadree Ollison on the roster. With Gurley’s knee a concern, the Falcons will want to ensure they have the best possible back to work in a committee.

If Akers is available in the third round, he would make a great addition to the backfield. At 5-11 and 212 pounds, Akers has the size and power to be successful at the next level. Much like Devonta Freeman did in his initial years with the franchise, Akers likes to initiate contact and bring his brand of physicality to opposing defenses.

Fourth round, No. 119 overall: Charlotte EDGE Alex Highsmith 

Yes, the Falcons could use another interior pass rusher. But with Derrick Brown and Javon Kinlaw likely off the board in the top 10, and with linebacker also being a major need, Atlanta may choose to stick with last year’s plan up front. And that is to further develop John Cominsky as a pass-rushing defensive tackle. While Cominsky primarily played as a defensive end in spot duty in 2019, the plan upon drafting him was to bulk him up further and have him rush the passer from the interior. If that continues to be the case, the Falcons could stand to add another edge defender.

Highsmith is an intriguing prospect, although his frame would suggest he would be best suited as a 3-4 outside linebacker. Still, his stature at 6-3 and 248 pounds is similar to former Falcons defensive end Vic Beasley. While Takk McKinley has added weight the past three years, he was 250 pounds coming out of college. Highsmith’s film suggests he has the tools to get after the quarterback, with his Shrine Bowl performance getting him noticed on a much grander scale. Highsmith totaled 15 sacks and 21.5 tackles for loss as a senior last season.

Fourth round, No. 143 overall: Louisiana Tech DB L’Jarius Sneed

If the Falcons don’t take a corner in the first round, you can almost count on them to take one before their first five picks conclude. In this instance, it happens to be with their fifth pick. With the team electing to move on from Desmond Trufant, there is a case to go after a cornerback much earlier. At the same time, the Falcons performed well down the stretch of the 2019 season with Kendall Sheffield operating as the team’s top corner. Therefore, the option of adding another corner in the middle rounds to compete with Isaiah Oliver, as well as to get reps at nickel, exists as well.

Sneed fits the bill from a physical standpoint as he checks in at 6-0 and 192 pounds. He also has 31 ⅜-inch arms, which give him good length for the position. In addition, Sneed’s straight-line speed is exceptional, evidenced by the official 4.37-second 40-yard dash he ran at the scouting combine. Sneed offers positional versatility, too, as he has been projected as a cornerback and safety at the next level.

Seventh round, No. 228 overall: Virginia Tech TE Dalton Keene 

The Falcons traded for Hayden Hurst to replace Hooper, who left via free agency to sign with the Cleveland Browns. Behind Hurst on the depth chart are Jaeden Graham and Carson Meier. Graham is a receiving tight end, and Meier is of the blocking variety. Atlanta may not be able to sign a veteran blocking tight end in free agency and thus may be forced to add another developmental prospect via the draft. Keene, at 253 pounds, probably will need to add some weight to be a successful in-line blocker in the NFL. But Keene does have the athleticism and ability to block in space, which could position him to fill an H-back role early in his pro career.

Once again neglecting DT :(  Also don't like that he waited so long to target a DB.  Although i can understand the reasoning waiting till the 4th for sneed with going Hightower 1st.  I think he is a really good player if we can sign a FA Dt thats really good to pair with our guys and 1 more vet CB i think this would be a very strong draft for us. 

21 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Once again neglecting DT :(  Also don't like that he waited so long to target a DB.  Although i can understand the reasoning waiting till the 4th for sneed with going Hightower 1st.  I think he is a really good player if we can sign a FA Dt thats really good to pair with our guys and 1 more vet CB i think this would be a very strong draft for us. 

We need more picks.  Wish we had an extra 2nd and 3rd.

The Reality is Falcons have more needs than picks and something gonna get left out.

We really do need another interior offensive lineman and running back - we really do need an impact linebacker.   We need another corner - more DLine help.

There is no mock, without trades, that isn’t gonna have holes that aren’t addressed.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

The Reality is Falcons have more needs than picks and something gonna get left out.

We really do need another interior offensive lineman and ruining back - we really do need an impact linebacker.   We need another corner - more DLine help.

There is no mock, without trades, that isn’t gonna have holes that aren’t addressed.

You also have to take into account post draft casualties.

There will be some okay vets that are gonna hit the market after the draft that will be signed for cheap.

10 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I’m not feeling the 2nd round pick I wouldn’t take a replacement for Mack that high when I’ve got Lindstrom on the roster as a backup.

Meh...I could see just about any position in first three rounds - CB, LB, DT, EDGE, S, RB, OG/C

none of those picks would surprise me - we need them all.  

17 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Meh...I could see just about any position in first three rounds - CB, LB, DT, EDGE, S, RB, OG/C

none of those picks would surprise me - we need them all.  

Nah like you had in your earlier 16 pick thread I think there’s a clear direction in where there going with this draft.Id be surprised to see G/C or RB taken in the first 3 rounds.

Mind you it is dependent on how the board and talent falls so I guess you could add the mentioned.

11 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

We don’t need more picks as much as we need playmakers with the picks we have. That’s the main hole we have going into the draft.

I kinda agree. I feel like if we did trade back we would only make our depth stronger. If we be aggressive I think we could really have the best team in the league.

11 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

We don’t need more picks as much as we need playmakers with the picks we have. That’s the main hole we have going into the draft.

Exactly.

The team is missing playmakers. Especially on defense. Debo and Jarrett are the only ones on the defense who are anywhere close to that. Hopefully Fowler is another piece to that puzzle.

Just now, DonOfThemBirds said:

Exactly.

The team is missing playmakers. Especially on defense. Debo and Jarrett are the only ones on the defense who are anywhere close to that. Hopefully Fowler is another piece to that puzzle.

I would say Kazee is a playmaker as well. But I agree we need one more secondary playmaker.

6 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Exactly.

I hear trade back, but again. Need playmakers. I agree with you man

I would be not happy. This draft gives us 1 starter. We could do far better than this.  So many better players to be had in round 2. 

Sad part is this is totally something I could see them doing. 

15 minutes ago, ATLBigBaller100 said:

I would say Kazee is a playmaker as well. But I agree we need one more secondary playmaker.

The thing about Kazee is that he can make plays, but he also allows big plays to happen because he gets caught being undisciplined in his roles in coverage.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

We really do need another interior offensive lineman and running back - we really do need an impact linebacker.   We need another corner - more DLine help.

I gotta agree with you on this one my friend if their was ever a year to trade down even if it's for a bit lesser value this is probably it.  I honestly think the 2nd round's talent isn't much different than the talent at 16 at alot of spots.  CB, RB, DT, and OG  are very strong in round 2 and 3.  The only spot i would say isn't as strong of our needs is linebacker in those rounds.   Were either gonna have to sign 2 more very quality vets at 2 of those positions on defense or trade down somehow to fill the majority of our holes with talent you can expect atleast something good from.

1 hour ago, Knight of God said:

Where as i can agree with this to a certain extent for me if you want a legit playmaker were gonna have to move up to get one.  Unless we luck up into a Simmons, Kinlaw, Okudah, or Brown falling to us at 16 i don't see any high end playmakers there for the taking thats much different talent wise than the round 2 guys.  This draft falls off a cliff after say the top 10 or so at our major needs.  The next tier isn't a bad group their just all pretty similar talent wise from say 16 to the end of the 2nd round.   I wouldn't be against moving up for one of those elite prospect types of player at all though if they fall to say 8 to 12. 

Just now, FalconFan13 said:

Where as i can agree with this to a certain extent for me if you want a legit playmaker were gonna have to move up to get one.  Unless we luck up into a Simmons, Kinlaw, Okudah, or Brown falling to us at 16 i don't see any high end playmakers there for the taking thats much different talent wise than the round 2 guys.  This draft falls off a cliff after say the top 10 or so at our major needs.  The next tier isn't a bad group their just all pretty similar talent wise from say 16 to the end of the 2nd round.   I wouldn't be against moving up for one of those elite prospect types of player at all though if they fall to say 8 to 12. 

There are way more playmakers, just not superstars.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

We have 4 RBs, with 3 drafted in the mid rounds the last 3 years...I just don’t see us drafting RB...with the value placed on the position, I see the least bang for buck using draft capital there, so I think it’s the most likely position that doesn’t get picked...

LB, DL, DB...those positions have to be drafted....I’d even argue that LB and DB could be double dipped...

I think the brass is comfortable rolling with the TEs we have and either an UDFA or a late veteran signing...don’t see that as a pick

I hate the player pick of OL...My though process on any OL pick is that after last years draft and signings, we aren’t picking OL higher than round 4 UNLESS we cut Alex Mack for cap savings. Then I can see us going OC in round 2...outside of that, I think we don’t see an OL pick until late and it’s a draft/stash at OC/OG

So to me, that leaves BPA at LB, DB, DL for four of our first 5 picks...TD always sprinkles in a balance, so I actually think WR will be in there...outside of Julio and Ridley, there isn’t anyone...and both Julio and Ridley have had injuries in their careers...I think a bigger, outside type guy is most likely...

I like Murray more than others, but he has awful missed tackle numbers...I don’t know how much that can improve....

Im wishful thinking at this point (no trade mock):

1. Javon Kinlaw DT

2. Kristian Fulton DB

3. Logan Wilson LB

4.  Derek Tuszka DE/LB

4. John Hightower WR

6. Keith Ishmael OC/OG

7. Tanner Muse SS/LB

30 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

There are way more playmakers, just not superstars.

Then would you not agree that we can trade back and get playmakers if the opportunity presents itself.   To me players like Diggs and Johnson are every bit of playmakers as Henderson and Fulton are the 1st 2 listed are possible and listed usually as 2nd round guys where as the last 2 are ranked around 16 in most boards.  Is their really that much of a difference in them for one to be considered a playmaker and the other 2 not?   Same with Linebacker in the late 1st you probably have Queen, Murray, and Baun who all i consider playmakers and pretty similar to Chassion who is considerd a guy you would take at 16.  Is their that big of a difference between Chassion and those 3 to not warrant a trade back if available.    I guess i was assuming when yall was saying playmaker yall was talking about a superstar which is why i posted that earlier.   But if were just talking about guys like Chassion, Henderson, and Fulton then i see all kinds of play makers at the end of the 1st and 2nd rounds as well.

6 hours ago, g-dawg said:

further develop John Cominsky as a pass-rushing defensive tackle. While Cominsky primarily played as a defensive end in spot duty in 2019, the plan upon drafting him was to bulk him up further and have him rush the passer from the interior.

Id really wish we could get some details on this front

6 hours ago, g-dawg said:

First round, No. 16 overall: Oklahoma LB Kenneth Murray

Second round, 47th overall: Washington C Nick Harris

Third round, 78th overall: Florida State RB Cam Akers

Fourth round, No. 119 overall: Charlotte EDGE Alex Highsmith 

Fourth round, No. 143 overall: Louisiana Tech DB L’Jarius Sneed

Seventh round, No. 228 overall: Virginia Tech TE Dalton Keene 

Wouldn't be a terrible draft but wouldn't love it.   

• I'd be pretty happy to land Murray at 16
  • Harris makes sense to get that first year of experience but 47 is way high for this. Prefer 3rd or later.
  • Like Akers but RB room is already crowded and there's good RBs in every draft...I say wait until next year for this position.
  • I like Highsmith!
  • Don't know much about Sneed but I think we would want to take a corner higher.
  • Know nothing about Keene but in the 7th, doesn't matter.