Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
matty72780

Is it just me? It can’t be

Recommended Posts

Hey y’all, long time Falcons fan here! Super optimistic about this year, LOVE the Gurley signing - GO DAWGS! Love the Hayden signing. Like the Fowler signing, hopefully he’s the guy he was last year and not the 4 years prior. 
 

My head scratching question is this: So we all know how horrendous the D has been under Quinn, however, outside of Fowler we’re resigning an entire defense of Falcons backups that haven’t been able to crack the consistent starting lineup of one of the worst defenses in the NFL. As I mentioned previously, I’m optimistic, but is that the homer in me talking and am I not seeing reality?  
 

If we think the likes of LaRoy Reynolds, Wreh-Wilson, Tyeler Davison who’ve been backups on our disastrous defenses will step up and take this D to the next level, it’s beyond me. Sure, it would be amazing to see a top 10 performance but it’s looking like another 30th ranked D if you asked me. 
 

Not trying to be negative, just trying to understand TD & Quinn’s logic and prepare myself for the reality of what’ll happen. 
 

Convince me otherwise.... #Insanity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Since1990 said:

The real head scratching question is: are we going to have a season this year! Most Atlanta thing that can happen is, after we build a spoild squad, the season gets cancelled due to the 'Rona!!!

 

Exactly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m chill, but let’s say we get an impact player on D at 16 (because of course we rattle off a few meaningless wins to go from top 10 to 16). We traded a 2nd rounder for a backup TE (who I think will be a stud) but that in reality puts us in a position to have one day 1 defensive starter and we still need a LG. 
 

I’m just being realistic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Since1990 said:

The real head scratching question is: are we going to have a season this year! Most Atlanta thing that can happen is, after we build a spoild squad, the season gets cancelled due to the 'Rona!!!

 

Truth! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

You keep cheap average talent. Simple as that.

Must have missed it where we signed Bridi for 20mil per year and said he was the starter.

Pretty sure “cheap average talent” is the exact reason for the defense since Quinn has been the coach. Agree to disagree here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course the fact the Falcons finished the year 6-2 and hammered a couple of the best teams in the NFL means little at this point. But, Morris and Ulbrich are both back, which is a good thing.

With one more stud on the DL to go with Fowler and  a couple of good young players or FA's to fill out LB and CB, who knows this unit could surprise some OC's this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, matty72780 said:

I’m chill, but let’s say we get an impact player on D at 16 (because of course we rattle off a few meaningless wins to go from top 10 to 16). We traded a 2nd rounder for a backup TE (who I think will be a stud) but that in reality puts us in a position to have one day 1 defensive starter and we still need a LG. 
 

I’m just being realistic. 

Technically we don't need a LG...we have enough pics in the right places to get more than one starter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

Technically we don't need a LG...we have enough pics in the right places to get more than one starter

If by “technically” you mean we have a human that can wear pads and provide a police escort directly into Matt Ryan then you’re absolutely correct. 

Edited by matty72780

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, matty72780 said:

Pretty sure “cheap average talent” is the exact reason for the defense since Quinn has been the coach. Agree to disagree here. 

First 8 31.25 ppg

Last 8 18.63 ppg

Only thing to change was coaching. Explain that. Same players, different defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

First 8 31.25 ppg

Last 8 18.63 ppg

Only thing to change was coaching. Explain that. Same players, different defense.

This.

They fumbled around with the wrong scheme and plan and whatever it was for the first half of the year...then the flipped the switch. Very similar to the 2016 season. The defense got better when it got easier and the guys stopped thinking about it. If I remember correctly the Falcons had three rookie starters on defense that season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Jesus said:

This.

They fumbled around with the wrong scheme and plan and whatever it was for the first half of the year...then the flipped the switch. Very similar to the 2016 season. The defense got better when it got easier and the guys stopped thinking about it. If I remember correctly the Falcons had three rookie starters on defense that season.

What he said 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matty72780 said:

Hey y’all, long time Falcons fan here! Super optimistic about this year, LOVE the Gurley signing - GO DAWGS! Love the Hayden signing. Like the Fowler signing, hopefully he’s the guy he was last year and not the 4 years prior. 
 

My head scratching question is this: So we all know how horrendous the D has been under Quinn, however, outside of Fowler we’re resigning an entire defense of Falcons backups that haven’t been able to crack the consistent starting lineup of one of the worst defenses in the NFL. As I mentioned previously, I’m optimistic, but is that the homer in me talking and am I not seeing reality?  
 

If we think the likes of LaRoy Reynolds, Wreh-Wilson, Tyeler Davison who’ve been backups on our disastrous defenses will step up and take this D to the next level, it’s beyond me. Sure, it would be amazing to see a top 10 performance but it’s looking like another 30th ranked D if you asked me. 
 

Not trying to be negative, just trying to understand TD & Quinn’s logic and prepare myself for the reality of what’ll happen. 
 

Convince me otherwise.... #Insanity

You do realize that you need good starters and backups to field a good defense right? You also are aware that the draft hasn't happened and that the offseason is long from over too right? I mean we don't even have a schedule yet but week 1 of the NFL season isn't supposed to be until September. That's months away. So take a xanax and relax.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
  • Create New...