wartownfalcon

Keanu Neal??

77 posts in this topic

Im not confident he plays this year , you're going to have a shorter offseason. Probably you're going right into training camp. Thats not good for Neal. They might just sit him 

Knight of God and MAD597 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, caponine said:

Im not confident he plays this year , you're going to have a shorter offseason. Probably you're going right into training camp. Thats not good for Neal. They might just sit him 

If he isn’t ready this year we have to cut out losses and move on. I like Neal when healthy but he’s average in coverage and what does he really do besides the occasional big hit   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, caponine said:

Im not confident he plays this year , you're going to have a shorter offseason. Probably you're going right into training camp. Thats not good for Neal. They might just sit him 

He can still train with a personal trainer and at his house. He doesn’t need the Falcons facilities to train. And plus the nfl is right on schedule. China has just started getting everything back to normal after 3 months. We are looking at June right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to pretend he retired and our team needs move on even if we cant cut him. Do not depend on him to ever be our starting SS again, we need to draft his replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They better be looking for a replacement for him. They better not go into the season with him as anything more than a plan B , if on the team at all. 

MAD597 and aer2033 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

They better be looking for a replacement for him. They better not go into the season with him as anything more than a plan B , if on the team at all. 

The backup plan is Kazee at FS and Allen at SS. The same thing we did down the stretch of last season and the defense was balling out.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

The backup plan is Kazee at FS and Allen at SS. The same thing we did down the stretch of last season and the defense was balling out.

That's dumb, Neal should be plan C, this above should be plan B and plan A is to draft a SS in the 1st 3 rounds and probably sign a vet SS as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeez I know Neal has had major injuries the last two years but the man was a big difference maker when healthy. Dont cast him off yet. No need in taking a safety Rd1. Now if he misses next year again with an injury then it's time to move on, but the guy is still young and should be able to fully recover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

That's dumb, Neal should be plan C, this above should be plan B and plan A is to draft a SS in the 1st 3 rounds and probably sign a vet SS as well.

I would rather take my chance with Neal or the combo of Allen/Kazee than draft a Safety in the top 3 rounds.

LB, DT and CB are all much bigger holes to fill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

50 minutes ago, caponine said:

Im not confident he plays this year , you're going to have a shorter offseason. Probably you're going right into training camp. Thats not good for Neal. They might just sit him 

The last report on him was that Quinn was happy and said his progress was on schedule.
 

The standard timetable has a full recovery from surgery after 6 months on the high side. His surgery was on Sept. 29, his 6 months is completed this week. 
 

So he has from now until the start of the season (5 months) to work on his conditioning. He likely would have been brought along slowly, which means any activity he would have done he could still likely do on his own. Light running, lifting, etc...

There is no reason to assume he is behind schedule all of a sudden.

If the concern is that he cant get in our building to train properly, consider that no other NFL player can either. 90% of the players are rehabbing from injuries during the offseason and dont have access to their team medical treatment either. However due to the timing of his injury, he was probably much further along than a lot of these guys. Not to mention, he has experience from last offseason on how to rehab from a major injury so he isnt completely blind on what to do to his body.

This quarantine hurts every player equally. Everyone's routine is thrown off. I wouldnt single him out as more likely to not be ready on time when his body is likely ahead of schedule due to the amount of rest, training and non contact he has had over the last two years. Compared to say, a player that just played 16-19 games through the season and playoffs and has been trying to heal or have minor procedures done right after the season.

Edited by LightningDawg58
NCCooley, PokerSteve and HASHBROWN3 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

The backup plan is Kazee at FS and Allen at SS. The same thing we did down the stretch of last season and the defense was balling out.

Back up to Neal? They better have move than that..They can't afford to keep gambling with Neal. They better have some other guy's in there and drafted, that can play. Neal just need to be something we can use, if it functions, if not...bye..

MAD597 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Diggable Birds said:

If he isn’t ready this year we have to cut out losses and move on. I like Neal when healthy but he’s average in coverage and what does he really do besides the occasional big hit   

 

 

 

Neal brings intimidation. Offensive players get nervous whenever Neal is in the area. That alone has caused some dropped passes and some turnovers.

 

Neal's intimidating presence has been missed on the defense because he can't stay healthy. He was a tone setter despite not being all that great in coverage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

 

Neal brings intimidation. Offensive players get nervous whenever Neal is in the area. That alone has caused some dropped passes and some turnovers like back in 2016.

 

Neal's intimidating presence has been missed on the defense because he can't stay healthy. He was a tone setter despite not being all that great in coverage.

^^ This.  He is a Brian Dawkins type that makes WR's and TE's think twice.  He's also very good in run support. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

Back up to Neal? They better have move than that..They can't afford to keep gambling with Neal. They better have some other guy's in there and drafted, that can play. Neal just need to be something we can use, if it functions, if not...bye..

The backup to Neal is Allen. Kazee then slides in at FS. 

The only way we are screwed is if we have a 2018 re-run where 2 of our starting safeties go out for the year. 

Not saying I am against drafting a safety I just would not do it in the first 3 rounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, some of y’all turn on a guy real quick. He has had ample time to recover. His injuries were unrelated. To act like he isn’t that good and should just be thrown away is crazy. I am all for having a contingency plan, but Neal is a difference maker that we want on the field whenever possible.

his $6M is virtually guaranteed, why wouldn’t you play him if healthy? Even if the goal was to move on after this season.

PokerSteve and IamFRESCO1 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

We need to pretend he retired and our team needs move on even if we cant cut him. Do not depend on him to ever be our starting SS again, we need to draft his replacement.

Savage... colder than Robin Givens in the early 90s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The plan is, Neal is Pro-Bowl safety when healthy and is still in his prime. He has led his unit when on the field. He is a sure tackler who matches up well with athletic TE's and RB's. He also creates a ton of FF's, drops and open field tackles on players who normally break off huge YAC yards.

He is a chess piece on defense in man coverage, and an enforcer in zone.

Kazee has proven to be a special player at single high safety. Any other position and I agree he needs to be upgraded.

Allen is another chess piece for us. I've never been high on his physical gifts but he brings so much to the table in other areas and this was proven over the last few years.

If we see a safety we love then sure why not add him, but it is not a need. It is only insurance 

primetime likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

I would rather take my chance with Neal or the combo of Allen/Kazee than draft a Safety in the top 3 rounds.

LB, DT and CB are all much bigger holes to fill.

No matter what all 3 safeties are free agents after the season. I would definitely draft a safety if a good one is on the board when we pick in the 2nd or 3rd.

1989Fan and k-train like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

 

Neal brings intimidation. Offensive players get nervous whenever Neal is in the area. That alone has caused some dropped passes and some turnovers.

 

Neal's intimidating presence has been missed on the defense because he can't stay healthy. He was a tone setter despite not being all that great in coverage.

With the way the league is going with player safety I don't know how much that's going to matter now. Give me a coverage safety like Dugger or Chinn.

Cheap Talk and k-train like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cole World said:

With the way the league is going with player safety I don't know how much that's going to matter now. Give me a coverage safety like Dugger or Chinn.

Isn't Dugger the one media/scouts are comparing to Keanu Neal? Maybe I am remembering the wrong guy, but the comp was the box run D presence and physicality.

Cole World likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Isn't Dugger the one media/scouts are comparing to Keanu Neal? Maybe I am remembering the wrong guy, but the comp was the box run D presence and physicality.

Yes but he can cover too.

1989Fan likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now