Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Not a huge fan. He's solid, and I wouldn't be upset if we took him in round 2, but I doubt he lasts until 47. Not a first round talent for me. He's good in coverage, and is probably more useful as just an occasional blitzer. Has a ton of effort. Seems more of a 3-4 backer, and he's really not an amazing chess piece overall(Not that he has to be, but one of the perks is his versatility). Useful, and could make a solid LB. If we want a LB, I would be more inclined to just take Murray in round 1.

#Falcons certainly love Zack Baun. Met with him at the Senior Bowl and the combine. 

Zack Baun on Falcons meeting: "They gave me some good tips on things I do well, things I don't do well. Just a brief conversation. I think they're a team that's looking for an all-around guy like me."

"All-around guy" is interesting. Sounds like they want an OLB with edge contain ability, base gap penetration ability, coverage ability and pass rush ability. 

That would be Baun to a T.

Shoutout to M2Falcons for this: 

2. ZACK BAUN, WISCONSIN  (from PFF; they rate only Simmons ahead of him)

Baun played edge at Wisconsin and while he primarily rushed the passer, he also dropped into coverage far more than your average edge defender. In fact, 195 times over the past two seasons Baun dropped into coverage on pass plays. He earned coverage grades of 81.3 (2018) and 86.9 (2019) over that span. While that’s still a small sample size, it meshes with the fluid movement skills we’ve seen from him again and again on tape. After checking in at 240 pounds at the Senior Bowl, Baun unsurprisingly stated he wanted to make the switch to off-ball. All of a sudden, his pass-rushing prowess that saw him put up a 91.0 grade while rushing against college offense tackles becomes a serious weapon as a blitzer. His flexibility is superb and he has no problem playing through contact. That ability to defeat blocks also projects well when asked to play the run or defend screens from off-ball. While asking a player to execute a completely different role comes with some risk, Baun has proven to have the skillset to do it.

Just says it all. He's a perfect fit. 

Also, for what it's worth, Wisconsin OLB coach Bobby April worked with current Falcons STC Ben Kotwica for the NYJ in 2013 and 2014.

more research on Baun reveals he struggled in coverage tasks at Senior Bowl. Not that he can't learn it and is capable, but he needs experience, coaching, and seasoning. This theme is present elsewhere. The Badger fan earlier in the thread pointed out he wasn't particularly good at overall it in the season. That said, there is still talk out there of him going in the 1st Rd., generally in the 20s but such a pick would certainly be based on the potential he brings. I'd say now it's more likely he goes late 1st to mid 2nd. More than likely to a 3-4 defense team that will use him to rush QB often.

36 minutes ago, m2Falcons said:

more research on Baun reveals he struggled in coverage tasks at Senior Bowl. Not that he can't learn it and is capable, but he needs experience, coaching, and seasoning. This theme is present elsewhere. The Badger fan earlier in the thread pointed out he wasn't particularly good at overall it in the season. That said, there is still talk out there of him going in the 1st Rd., generally in the 20s but such a pick would certainly be based on the potential he brings. I'd say now it's more likely he goes late 1st to mid 2nd. More than likely to a 3-4 defense team that will use him to rush QB often.

I thought he looked good in coverage at the Senior Bowl tbh. 

51 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

Why do they have Uche listed as 6'1 but the video has 6'3 if he is the latter take him at 47 if we miss out on Chaisson and Baun

Uche was 6'1 at the combine, Baun was 6'2.

On 3/30/2020 at 7:02 PM, CMarinoNFL said:

#Falcons certainly love Zack Baun. Met with him at the Senior Bowl and the combine. 

Zack Baun on Falcons meeting: "They gave me some good tips on things I do well, things I don't do well. Just a brief conversation. I think they're a team that's looking for an all-around guy like me."

"All-around guy" is interesting. Sounds like they want an OLB with edge contain ability, base gap penetration ability, coverage ability and pass rush ability. 

That would be Baun to a T.

Shoutout to M2Falcons for this: 

2. ZACK BAUN, WISCONSIN  (from PFF; they rate only Simmons ahead of him)

Baun played edge at Wisconsin and while he primarily rushed the passer, he also dropped into coverage far more than your average edge defender. In fact, 195 times over the past two seasons Baun dropped into coverage on pass plays. He earned coverage grades of 81.3 (2018) and 86.9 (2019) over that span. While that’s still a small sample size, it meshes with the fluid movement skills we’ve seen from him again and again on tape. After checking in at 240 pounds at the Senior Bowl, Baun unsurprisingly stated he wanted to make the switch to off-ball. All of a sudden, his pass-rushing prowess that saw him put up a 91.0 grade while rushing against college offense tackles becomes a serious weapon as a blitzer. His flexibility is superb and he has no problem playing through contact. That ability to defeat blocks also projects well when asked to play the run or defend screens from off-ball. While asking a player to execute a completely different role comes with some risk, Baun has proven to have the skillset to do it.

Just says it all. He's a perfect fit. 

Also, for what it's worth, Wisconsin OLB coach Bobby April worked with current Falcons STC Ben Kotwica for the NYJ in 2013 and 2014.

Watch they take him at 16 lol 

On 3/24/2020 at 6:47 AM, 1989Fan said:

Been liking Baun. He would be a nice grab at 47 if he were still there. Good traits and highly productive. Doesn’t have the bend of a true edge guy, but could excel at SLB and blitzing.

Wil be gone but hopefully Uche wil be there.

The second round will offer Baun, Uche and Wilson.  I would be happy with any one of them.  

The Safety and DT positions are full of good depth.  I think we can draft an upgrade Safety in the 3rd and still have a guy like Hamilton or Elliott in the 4th.