Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just watched a bit of this guy he’s grown on me a lot I have him a ways ahead of Terrell Lewis and just under Chaisson.

I think value for money I might take Baun.

Very good player.

Extremely active rushing the passer very disciplined in pass coverage doesn’t miss tackles in the open field.

Apparently we’ve been linked with this guy too.If he’s there in the 2nd round I’d be all over this guy.

Been liking Baun. He would be a nice grab at 47 if he were still there. Good traits and highly productive. Doesn’t have the bend of a true edge guy, but could excel at SLB and blitzing.

Takes on Baun

First Step Explosiveness - He's got a fair bit of burst and twitch, he's not a long strider but lower body power produces a good initial upfield burst when he's dedicated to taking the edge. Shows good weight distribution in his frame to load the drive leg and spring forward. Has created havoc on the back end of run plays when left unattended by design. 

Hand Technique/Length - He's terrific here. Natural sense of what counters, fits and stab is necessary to offset blockers in space. He's reactive and fluid with his hands — shows accuracy on the move as well to win first contact. His length likely eliminates a consistent end man on LOS role in the early downs, however. 

Pass Rush Counters - He's flashed a nasty cross chop, he's long-armed his way to soft angles and he's also brought inside spin, speed rush, high swim and rip/dip to the table as well. Same natural sense of implementation based on positioning and angles to his target — he's a natural and shouldn't have issues getting wins with secondary counters. 

Flexibility - Does not show the greatest lower body tilt, he's built fairly dense but ability to turn apex of rush lane is hit or miss, he'll fail to get the feet to catch at steep angles. He's very fluid in space to unlock his hips and scrape or flow into the boundary and carry plays with pace without compromising his tackle posture. 

Run Defending - Likely to end up gobbling up off-ball reps, given how effective he is keying plays and how quick he is to flash and react. He was most effective off the edge in a crash/penetration role to zip off the backside of plays. His hand pop is potent and capable of discarding blockers with authority. 

Competitive Toughness - Might be captain of the "try hard" team. His motor never turns off and he's super persistent with his effort. Functional strength is plentiful but lack of length has netted some plays where he's swallowed up and lost in the shuffle of heavy traffic. His speed to power is effective and hand pop is potent to create push of the pocket. 

Tackling - He shows a better tackle radius than you'd expect for his length, he's sufficient in extending his frame and taking good angles at point of first contact when he's slashing to the ball. He's stout and frame shows good hip hinge to unload and shut down upfield momentum from ball carries in head on collisions. 

Lateral Mobility - Pretty fluid here. First step spring is definitely more potent when he's in a staggered stance but flat footed drive for width is strong enough that he's able to react and flash if left on an island and work into position. Aided by good lateral hip mobility to open himself in a true scrape and flow role off the ball. 

Stand Up Ability - Ample versatility at his disposal. Was dispatched outside the hashes as a point man over the slot and dropped into flat and spy role with consistency (had a Pick 6 in 2019 on such a rep). He's well balanced and should be fairly seamless with a transition to off ball reps in base defense. 

Football IQ - Super smart. Impressive watching him flash at the snap with recognition skills based on alignments but also seeing him key information in live action to flash his hands, soften or steepen his angles, attack down hill and get into gaps quickly or buzz into throwing lanes. Coach's dream with mental processing power. 

---

Best Trait - Football IQ

Worst Trait - Length 

Best Film - Illinois (2019)

Worst Film - Ohio State (2019)

Red Flags - 2017/2018 Foot INJ

Player Summary - Zack Baun will excel in a defensive system that capitalizes on his versatility and football IQ to place him in various roles in the defensive front seven. Baun has the quickness, burst and hand usage to win as a pressure player but early downs will serve him best working off the football to take advantage of his quick processor and short area quickness to step into gaps and fill versus the run. He can be a critical starter for a defense but needs to be moved around to play his best football. 

Updated: 02/08/2020

Another

Explosion: Powerful first step off of the snap. Works most effectively from a staggered two-point stance and can immediately challenge tackle depth with his first step off the line of scrimmage. Buttresses his explosiveness with good snap anticipation. Keeps his stride length long and has good balance and control when working to the corner to keep himself from getting over-extended up the arc. Explosiveness also shows up when he's closing downhill as a dropper in space.

Short-Area Quickness: He's nifty, man! Ability to manipulate stride length and step frequency helps him generate tough angles and slip opponents in tight quarters. Has good ankle and knee bend to drop his hips and use his wide base to explode out of tough angles and slice into interior gaps. Is highly effective on a two-way go accordingly and works inside counters well. Hip stiffness can lead to some over-extensions and falls when he's looking to take a tough angle to close on the quarterbacks

Rush Moves: Has the goods. Works an arm-over, inside spin, and cross-chop all with good effectiveness and timing. Does a good job initially sculpting a rush plan and immediately winning with his first step to set up his opponent, and then can read tackle sets and adjust accordingly on the fly. Has some issues with hand location and power at times when he's working the cross-chop and inside spin and seems to be lacking for ideal mass up top. Has an excellent ability to finish his initial move with clever footwork, surface-area reduction, and angles to minimize the issues of his limited bend.

Bend: Just a stiff player. Has enough hip mobility when turning up the arc and rushing with tilt to keep his feet in the ground and flatten to the quarterback, but is an upright player who struggles to get his hips/shoulders underneath his opponent without drastically increasing his stride length to create the angles he needs. Will get folded over by tackles who recover well enough to deal with his quickness and can get pushed beyond the peak of the pocket if he doesn't dip his shoulder just so.

Block Deconstruction: Ineffective player in need of greater upper body power. Locates his hands appropriately and drops his hips to set his anchor, but can get overwhelmed by length/strength and accordingly fails to maintain the edge as an EMLOS defender. At his best when knifing into interior gaps and slipping through flow to present in the backfield and force his opponent off their ideal path. Does not have a great sense of how to take on pullers/traps despite seeing them in time; uprightness is a problem here.

Lower-Body Power: Has some good strength in his posterior chain to work initial outside steps into a bull rush and compromise pocket depth. Turns explosiveness into power on speed-to-power rushes with decent success, though added mass would still be welcome at the NFL level. Is not a candidate for squeezing blocks or taking on double teams and even down blocks because he can't anchor that well without momentum. Leggy frame gives him some leverage issues that minimize his power.

Upper-Body Strength: Thinner player who struggles to win with upper-body strength. Few examples of lockout on film as a run defender and tries to slip/break hands instead of winning head up. Hand usage on rush moves is well-timed and with good location, but there are good examples of his hands getting quickly shucked by powerful offensive linemen. Length issues show up when he's stunting or trying to cross face, and accordingly he can get bench-pressed off his reps.

Mental Processing: Seems like a generally smart player, but there are times that he's a step behind. Smart player on his rush moves up the arc and regularly works inside/outside rush moves in appropriate situations against his opponent's initial sets. Can key on backfield alignment well and gets proactive when he IDs zone flow quickly. Weirdly sturggles as an unblocked defender who can get frozen/suckered in by backfield action and fails to ID pullers and wrong-arm/BDSD accordingly.

Motor: High-motor player who gets involved late on plays because of his chase down ability. Has so much hustle as a pass-rusher and works hard to work second and third rush moves after the initial surge; gets involved in pursuit sacks and cleanup work accordingly. Does not die off late in game and will still chase down backside in the fourth quarter/on long drives.

Round Grade: Incomplete

Best Trait: Rush Moves

Worst Trait: Upper-Body Strength

Pro Comparison: Tim Williams (maybe? I don't love it)

Summary: Zack Baun is a Day 2 candidate for a team looking for a quick and explosive outside rusher who primary plays from a stand-up alignment. A leggy and thin rusher, Baun regularly wins off of his first step with great snap anticipation, stride length, and natural burst. After challenging tackle depth, Baun can work a two-way go with clever usage of his hands and feet to soften rush angles and flatten to the quarterback. Baun is a bit limited in his hips and can struggle to reduce his surface area up the arc, and increased mass will be necessary to survive as a three-down defender, but he's one of the most polished rushers in this class. Baun is a candidate to contribute in pass-rush situations in Year 1, with a high ceiling in Year 3 if he improves his mass and run defense.

7 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

More of the same with this guy his motor doesn’t stop he fights like a dog to get to the passer.Every bit of footage I watch with this guy he’s full go all out effort.

I like Baun as well.  If he is gone, Uche provides much the same but is a better pass rusher.  His ability to get home from the 9’s is special.  He should be there at 47th

Zack Baun is not known on TATF but he should be. He drastically improves our Front 7: LB group AND also the Edge when used for pass rush. The perfect SAM for Falcons. He will most certainly be drafted in the 1st Rd.; lots of people are waking up to him and links to a few teams already in the 1st Rd. I can see where he is our pick at #16.

The 2020 Class is loaded with LBs but they all differ in abilities and fits. Baun is great at Pass Rush AND Coverage *see below* and once you watch his games, highlights, and breakdowns about his game and about who he is and what he is about... it becomes obvious.

2. ZACK BAUN, WISCONSIN  (from PFF; they rate only Simmons ahead of him)

Baun played edge at Wisconsin and while he primarily rushed the passer, he also dropped into coverage far more than your average edge defender. In fact, 195 times over the past two seasons Baun dropped into coverage on pass plays. He earned coverage grades of 81.3 (2018) and 86.9 (2019) over that span. While that’s still a small sample size, it meshes with the fluid movement skills we’ve seen from him again and again on tape. After checking in at 240 pounds at the Senior Bowl, Baun unsurprisingly stated he wanted to make the switch to off-ball. All of a sudden, his pass-rushing prowess that saw him put up a 91.0 grade while rushing against college offense tackles becomes a serious weapon as a blitzer. His flexibility is superb and he has no problem playing through contact. That ability to defeat blocks also projects well when asked to play the run or defend screens from off-ball. While asking a player to execute a completely different role comes with some risk, Baun has proven to have the skillset to do it.

One thing I keep an eye on when I watch players is consistent effort.As I believe that’s not something that is coached that’s an individual’s trait and it carries with some more than others.

For me it’s when they aren’t making a play or it’s highly unlikely they are going to make a play but they still give that effort to try and get into the picture. I notice this with Chaisson Baun especially at this position.

7 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Another

Explosion: Powerful first step off of the snap. Works most effectively from a staggered two-point stance and can immediately challenge tackle depth with his first step off the line of scrimmage. Buttresses his explosiveness with good snap anticipation. Keeps his stride length long and has good balance and control when working to the corner to keep himself from getting over-extended up the arc. Explosiveness also shows up when he's closing downhill as a dropper in space.

Short-Area Quickness: He's nifty, man! Ability to manipulate stride length and step frequency helps him generate tough angles and slip opponents in tight quarters. Has good ankle and knee bend to drop his hips and use his wide base to explode out of tough angles and slice into interior gaps. Is highly effective on a two-way go accordingly and works inside counters well. Hip stiffness can lead to some over-extensions and falls when he's looking to take a tough angle to close on the quarterbacks

Rush Moves: Has the goods. Works an arm-over, inside spin, and cross-chop all with good effectiveness and timing. Does a good job initially sculpting a rush plan and immediately winning with his first step to set up his opponent, and then can read tackle sets and adjust accordingly on the fly. Has some issues with hand location and power at times when he's working the cross-chop and inside spin and seems to be lacking for ideal mass up top. Has an excellent ability to finish his initial move with clever footwork, surface-area reduction, and angles to minimize the issues of his limited bend.

Bend: Just a stiff player. Has enough hip mobility when turning up the arc and rushing with tilt to keep his feet in the ground and flatten to the quarterback, but is an upright player who struggles to get his hips/shoulders underneath his opponent without drastically increasing his stride length to create the angles he needs. Will get folded over by tackles who recover well enough to deal with his quickness and can get pushed beyond the peak of the pocket if he doesn't dip his shoulder just so.

Block Deconstruction: Ineffective player in need of greater upper body power. Locates his hands appropriately and drops his hips to set his anchor, but can get overwhelmed by length/strength and accordingly fails to maintain the edge as an EMLOS defender. At his best when knifing into interior gaps and slipping through flow to present in the backfield and force his opponent off their ideal path. Does not have a great sense of how to take on pullers/traps despite seeing them in time; uprightness is a problem here.

Lower-Body Power: Has some good strength in his posterior chain to work initial outside steps into a bull rush and compromise pocket depth. Turns explosiveness into power on speed-to-power rushes with decent success, though added mass would still be welcome at the NFL level. Is not a candidate for squeezing blocks or taking on double teams and even down blocks because he can't anchor that well without momentum. Leggy frame gives him some leverage issues that minimize his power.

Upper-Body Strength: Thinner player who struggles to win with upper-body strength. Few examples of lockout on film as a run defender and tries to slip/break hands instead of winning head up. Hand usage on rush moves is well-timed and with good location, but there are good examples of his hands getting quickly shucked by powerful offensive linemen. Length issues show up when he's stunting or trying to cross face, and accordingly he can get bench-pressed off his reps.

Mental Processing: Seems like a generally smart player, but there are times that he's a step behind. Smart player on his rush moves up the arc and regularly works inside/outside rush moves in appropriate situations against his opponent's initial sets. Can key on backfield alignment well and gets proactive when he IDs zone flow quickly. Weirdly sturggles as an unblocked defender who can get frozen/suckered in by backfield action and fails to ID pullers and wrong-arm/BDSD accordingly.

Motor: High-motor player who gets involved late on plays because of his chase down ability. Has so much hustle as a pass-rusher and works hard to work second and third rush moves after the initial surge; gets involved in pursuit sacks and cleanup work accordingly. Does not die off late in game and will still chase down backside in the fourth quarter/on long drives.

Round Grade: Incomplete

Best Trait: Rush Moves

Worst Trait: Upper-Body Strength

Pro Comparison: Tim Williams (maybe? I don't love it)

Summary: Zack Baun is a Day 2 candidate for a team looking for a quick and explosive outside rusher who primary plays from a stand-up alignment. A leggy and thin rusher, Baun regularly wins off of his first step with great snap anticipation, stride length, and natural burst. After challenging tackle depth, Baun can work a two-way go with clever usage of his hands and feet to soften rush angles and flatten to the quarterback. Baun is a bit limited in his hips and can struggle to reduce his surface area up the arc, and increased mass will be necessary to survive as a three-down defender, but he's one of the most polished rushers in this class. Baun is a candidate to contribute in pass-rush situations in Year 1, with a high ceiling in Year 3 if he improves his mass and run defense.

I disagree with some of this one: Baun does not play stiff. (unless you consider Von Miller to be stiff) He is stronger in upper body than this review makes it seem. (fwiw > BP=24 reps at Combine)Virtually every other person raves about his football IQ and his quick assessments and anticipation to get to the right spot.

2 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

One thing I keep an eye on when I watch players is consistent effort.As I believe that’s not something that is coached that’s an individual’s trait and it carries with some more than others.

For me it’s when they aren’t making a play or it’s highly unlikely they are going to make a play but they still give that effort to try and get into the picture. I notice this with Chaisson Baun especially at this position.

... as in the antithesis of Vic Beasley.

My nephew plays for Wisconsin so watched a lot of his games. Dude is a living TFL. Not sure he's quite a scheme fit. We require SLBs to cover TEs and that isn't part of Baun's skill set.

8 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I like Baun as well.  If he is gone, Uche provides much the same but is a better pass rusher.  His ability to get home from the 9’s is special.  He should be there at 47th

I do like Uche’s get off but I don’t think he’s got much of a clue when it comes to defeating a tackle consistently.I think the best I saw is a cross step but for me it’s a bull and that’s about it.

Iowa game down I’ll go have a look at some more and may edit this response.Think this guy will be a decent enough off the ball LBer.I don’t get the inkling he’ll do much pass rush wise the next level.

Athletically he moves very well in space is his biggest positive too me.

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I like him overall. Really similar to Haason Reddick though, so we should keep that in mind when discussing his role. Surprised that comp hasn't come up tbh

Except that Baun does actually drop into coverage about 8 times per game on average with a stellar coverage grade.

I'm not understanding the comparison to Terrell Lewis. They are 2 entirely different players. Chaisson yeah I see the comparison, but not for Lewis.

And for people thinking he will be there at our 2nd round pick, highly unlikely. He could very well be taken late teens early 20's. I think its extremely unlikely to make it to our pick in the 2nd. If you want him you take him at 16 imo. And I have no problem with that. 

Just now, kiwifalcon said:

I’ve seen player prospect ratings where he’s the 4th best LBer.He may well last to our 2nd round pick if those ratings stand up.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/linebackers

Not every LB fits each scheme however. For many teams Baun is the #1 LB for their scheme. Or their need. And that's before you get to the debate as to which LB is really the "best" or "better" than another.

Several sources are showing there is interest in Baun in the latter half of Rd.1 and also in early Rd.2  Will that happen? Maybe not, but odds are looking like it will.

Murray is a different LB, Queen is vastly different. They have better long speed but Baun is as good or better in short distance/area. Simmons is a Jack of All, but Queen is not a SAM. Murray is more of a MIKE to SAM. There are elements of Murray's game that drop him for some. Queen's size drops him for others.