Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jfalconsp

Falcons Cap Space as of 3/23

4 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

It does not include Fowler, Gurley, Wilson etc...that is probably what we have after the latest restructures

The restructures are why TD wasn't worried about the cap. We gained, or I should say, could have gained up to 7.33 mil in cap space this year and all it costs us is 2.33 mil extra over the next 3 years of Mathews' deal. What is more valuable...7.33 mil this year or 2.33 next when the cap shoots up to 240 mil or whatever they're projecting.

Also likely does not include the $10 million for Trufant that we will gain after 6/1, right? If not, that could be used to sign draft picks (albeit a little late), some cheaper vets (e.g., Clayborn, Mathews, Darron Lee, etc.), and for the mid season slush fund they like to have. Plus, I would think Freeman could be a 6/1 if they don’t use the other 6/1 designation for Carpenter or Brown.

30 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

The restructures are why TD wasn't worried about the cap. We gained, or I should say, could have gained up to 7.33 mil in cap space this year and all it costs us is 2.33 mil extra over the next 3 years of Mathews' deal. What is more valuable...7.33 mil this year or 2.33 next when the cap shoots up to 240 mil or whatever they're projecting.

I’d prefer we pay our debts rather Han kick them down the road.  I know the cap will have a large increase next year, but we’ve restructured Ryan twice in three months.  He is likely to have nearly 46 mill hit next year and the following year as well. 

Eventually the bills come due.  We are going to carry around 20 mill in dead cap this year and next year at least 10 mill..the dead cap plus Ryan, Julio, Grady, Matthews & Debo is $120 million of the projected $240 mill cap.  That’s 5 players getting half the cap.  This is what happens when you constantly restructure your top contracts

And we have exactly 25 players under contract next year.

8 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I’d prefer we pay our debts rather Han kick them down the road.  I know the cap will have a large increase next year, but we’ve restructured Ryan twice in three months.  He is likely to have nearly 46 mill hit next year and the following year as well. 

Eventually the bills come due.  We are going to carry around 20 mill in dead cap this year and next year at least 10 mill..the dead cap plus Ryan, Julio, Grady, Matthews & Debo is $120 million of the projected $240 mill cap.  That’s 5 players getting half the cap.  This is what happens when you constantly restructure your top contracts

And we have exactly 25 players under contract next year.

Ryan will be extended out to a crazy cap hit and then re-signed just like the Saints did with Brees. It'll be a 2-3 year extension where his cap hits get spread back out as he'll start making slightly less.

As to the 25 players thing...add in two draft classes to that. This year's and nexts and you'll have the real number. Well a better idea anyway as I'm sure a few picks probably won't make the roster.

Assuming no trade ups....we have 6 draft picks this year and possibly 10 next year if the comp picks stand. Assume the 7th rounders don't make the team, that leaves 14 more players added to that 25 number. 

Now we're at 39 without re-signing anybody. Not quite as dire

2 minutes ago, Chitown2ATL_Falcon said:

How much will be needed for the draft class?

Pretty sure for our draft allotment it's like 6 million to 7 million and that was before we gave the 2nd away for Hurst which was 1.5 mil.  So i would say for 6 picks if nothing changes about 4.5 to 5 mil to play with of that 14 million goes to cap.  Then we get 10 million back from Trufant on june 1st.  So we probably have around 17 to 20 mil in cap space to work with after june 1st.  Enough for 1 more big FA and 1 or 2 small ones or enough for 3 avg to above avg players similiar to a Dontari Poe type of guy.