Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
g-dawg

The most likely pick at #16

SLB is a low priority in my eyes. I agree that just get a non-suck backer in later rounds or free agent bargain bin. The SLB comes out on nickle packages, and most NFL teams play nickle 70% of the time in today's passing league.

If we HAVE to take a backer in the first, make it Patrick Queen. Most scheme-versatile of the top backers.

My flow chart reads: Brown>Kinlaw>Henderson>Queen>trade out of the first for multiple 2nd-round picks.

4 hours ago, SipDirtyBird84 said:

Jeff Gladney looks like the best corner outside of Okudah. Hope we can trade down to get him or get him with our second round pick. 

Absolutely.  I was checking this guy out a couple days ago.  He would be a really nice pick up down the board if we don’t grab a RD1 Corner.  
Apparently he’s well thought of in scouting circles too.  He really does look like a promising cover corner with good length as well if I recall.

I actually believe Henderson is no doubt the 2nd best corner in this draft but with the best coverage skills in this draft even over Okudah but that said for many of the same Physicality  reasons a number of you don’t want CJ Henderson at 16 neither do I.

I’m pass CJs tackling issues. I agree it’s bad and need to be worked on but I’m actually more concerned with how he does in coverage vs physical WRs especially the ones he’d have to face in our division! While I do believe CJ is even more talented in coverage than Okudah his lack of physicality is going to get him destroyed.

That’s the thing about CJ he has all the skills of shut down corner but he severely lacks that physicality trait on a number of levels! I can’t trust him to play press coverage a full game (I know he’s shown to do this well at the college level but the nfl is way more physical), I can’t trust him to guard bigger body WRs like Mike Evans or Michael Thomas, what is he going to do in the open field vs Christian McCaffery ???(maybe a bit unfair as that’s a bad situation for most defenders but heck effort goes a long way and shying away from making the tackle is not acceptable) .....but point is CJ just lacks everything to do with physicality for a defensive back yet the dude has undeniable skills.

if we draft him I’m not going to be extremely upset but I am going ask can DQ teach physicality to a player who has none? Or is that something a human being is just born with similar to speed  ? 

11 hours ago, Vandy said:

Based on some of the posts in this thread...including yours... seems Henderson is being overrated at this point. 

Overrated in what sense? My point is he's being dinged too much for his poor tackling form (on occasions) but his combination of length and speed to stick to the receiver’s hip pocket in man coverage and contest every catch point is only paralleled by one other cornerback in this class: Okudah, who is the undisputed top player at the position. 

The media, draftniks and posters on these boards that have other corners (outside of Okudah), who have inferior coverage skills, higher than him because they are better in run support is just crazy. Would you rather have a shutdown cornerback who can shadow a team’s top receiver but misses tackles every now and then? Or an average cover corner who gets beat every now and then but tackles consistently? 

9 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

@g-dawg  on an unrelated note I can see Jordan Love on the pats. 

I think they will roll with Stidham.  If it doesn’t work, look for them to make a serious move up next years draft board for Justin Fields or Brock Purdy.  They will have the requisite draft capital

13 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

I actually don't agree that CB is our greatest need nor is Henderson the best value there at 16.  OLB is hands down our greatest need and it's not even close as we don't have 1 on the entire roster.  We atleast have 4  to 5 capable and solid CB's on the team in  Sheffield, Oliver, Blidi, and Rico.  Those are 4 guys i have watched play and have seen very good things from in our secondary at times.  Then you got atleast 2 more guys that are young and talented with upside in Taylor and Miller.  Even if we went into the season with just those guy i wouldn't be terrible worried.  I would like 1 more good young guy or 1 more proven vet for sure to make me comfortable though.  But that position doesn't scare me or make me feel it's a weakness and our biggest need with all that there.  

Linebacker actually terrifies me right now as  Debo and Foye are it and Foye is still young and learning some like him some don't. I think Foye was better than Cambpell so i like him quite a bit.  But that still leaves 3 linebackers needed at minnimum to even field a team.  a Starter at SLB, and then 2 backups and possibly 3 backups for each linebacker spot.   I'll even goes as far as saying DT is a bigger need than CB right now as well just based on theirs only 3 guys there at the position and they seem to hate Senat.  Leaving just Grady and Davison as the 2 guaranteed DT's that the coaching staff will play.  Gady si a Stud and can play every down  Davison where as he is a very good run defender leaves alot to be desired on some passing downs.  We need another top tier DT to pair with Grady leaving Davison as great rotation depth for rushing downs and breathers.  Could probably use another one for depth as well to give us 4 or 5 DT's if they don't plan on using Seant like last year. 

Safety im actually a little more worried about than CB as well as i can see Kazee and Rico probably have FS locked down although Rico should probably be our starting NB with Kazee's emergence at FS. Rico is a good depth piece and injury replacement for sure.  Neal on the other hand worries me with his injuries and not coming back to form possibly.  I don't trust any of our backup SS players as much as i do our backup CB's.  Rico can do SS but is not suite well for it based on how we run our scheme.  

So for me i would say in order   SLB > DT  > S > CB    in the needs department and what im feel comfortable with on starters and depth.   I'll also put Chassion and Murray ahead of henderson as better players at 16 for SLB so he wouldn't even be my BPA there.  I don't see Henderson or Fulton much better if any better than guys considered 2nd rounders like. Diggs, Johnson, Arnette, Terrell, Igbinoghene, or Robinson.   The CB position is loaded in the 1st 3 rounds and i would rather take my chance one of them is there in rounds 2 or 3 and take a better player and more important need at SLB or DT in rounds 1 and possibly 2.

Chaisson Winfield Jnr or Blacklock any combo of those 2 have been my go for quite sometime.

8 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Chaisson Winfield Jnr or Blacklock any combo of those 2 have been my go for quite sometime.

Why Safety over Corner?  We have three legit safeties all with experience.  

28 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

In that case,, I'd like for us to get at 16 one of these players.. 1. DE AJ Epenesa  ,, 2. DT Hamilton,, or 3. DT Blacklock ,

We aren’t taking Epenesa.  You can take that to the bank.   Not Dan Quinn’s type of player.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Alright - this isn't what I would do - but I believe this is likely the pick for the Falcons at #16 (my dream is Javon Kinlaw).   

Why? 

1) Greatest Need:    while Falcons have two guys they really like in Sheffield and Oliver,  I don't think there is a sure-fire no brainer between the two.  I believe Sheffield to have CB#2 ability.   To me, Oliver looks like a free safety conversion at some point.   I know Oliver played better in season's 2nd half but don't believe he is someone you want to count on over an entire season as a starting corner.

2) BPA at #16:   assuming Kinlaw is gone - and I deem it likely, it is quite possible Henderson will be the highest rated player on Falcons board (outside of maybe the 4th OT).  Of course I assume in this example that Chase Young, Jeff Okudah, Isaiah Simmons, Derrick Brown and Kinlaw all gone.

3) Draft what you know:  Dimitroff has had better luck drafting secondary than any other position.  While not perfect,  Dimitroff has hit on Trufant, Alford, Kazee and Neal(injured) - missed badly on Jalen Collins.   It's also obvious Dan Quinn has an affinity for defenders from two schools - LSU and Florida.

4) CB#1/close to shutdown /// like a Starting Pitching Ace in MLB:   Many teams don't have a legit corner w/ shutdown type of ability.   Henderson has that - 4.39 speed and the size he carries (6'1" over 200lbs) - has the skillset to be a complete corner - i don't wholly believe in 'shudown corners' since Deion Sanders and Darrelle Revis retired but.....Henderson could be that next tier down.

Facts: Dan Quinn does not draft DTs in the first round. And that goes back to his days as a DC in Seattle. The highest DT drafted while Quinn was a coach or a DC has been Jordan Hill in the 3rd round (2013).

Quinn likes for his SDE to play DT in sub package or his SLB to play DE in nickel.

That is why I think it will be Chaisson, Digg (CB), or Henderson (CB) like you said at pick 16. 

Quinn and TD always talk about the rotation on the DL, and Quinn always emphasis versatility.

Edited by atlbaby

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I think they will roll with Stidham.  If it doesn’t work, look for them to make a serious move up next years draft board for Justin Fields or Brock Purdy.  They will have the requisite draft capital

I could also see them rolling with the Stid. I thought stid would be drafted a lot higher.  Love seems to have traits that the pats would value. 

8 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

I could also see them rolling with the Stid. I thought stid would be drafted a lot higher.  Love seems to have traits that the pats would value. 

My guess is they trade back for Jacoby Bissett (already knows system and Patriot way) and BB lets Stidham and Bissett battle for it.

Probably give up 3rd or 4th rounder for him.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

My guess is they trade back for Jacoby Bissett (already knows system and Patriot way) and BB lets Stidham and Bissett battle for it.

Probably give up 3rd or 4th rounder for him.

I still don’t get why the colts just don’t roll with Brissett. What happened to him? 

35 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

I still don’t get why the colts just don’t roll with Brissett. What happened to him? 

Guess his projected “top end” wasn’t as high as they thought.

3 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

Stid will be used to tank so they can secure a real QB.

15 hours ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

SLB is a low priority in my eyes. I agree that just get a non-suck backer in later rounds or free agent bargain bin. The SLB comes out on nickle packages, and most NFL teams play nickle 70% of the time in today's passing league.

If we HAVE to take a backer in the first, make it Patrick Queen. Most scheme-versatile of the top backers.

My flow chart reads: Brown>Kinlaw>Henderson>Queen>trade out of the first for multiple 2nd-round picks.

So why has devondre Campbell played roughly 90% of the snaps on defense the past three years if this was true? Shouldn't he hover around 30%?