Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
g-dawg

The most likely pick at #16

Alright - this isn't what I would do - but I believe this is likely the pick for the Falcons at #16 (my dream is Javon Kinlaw).   

Why? 

1) Greatest Need:    while Falcons have two guys they really like in Sheffield and Oliver,  I don't think there is a sure-fire no brainer between the two.  I believe Sheffield to have CB#2 ability.   To me, Oliver looks like a free safety conversion at some point.   I know Oliver played better in season's 2nd half but don't believe he is someone you want to count on over an entire season as a starting corner.

2) BPA at #16:   assuming Kinlaw is gone - and I deem it likely, it is quite possible Henderson will be the highest rated player on Falcons board (outside of maybe the 4th OT).  Of course I assume in this example that Chase Young, Jeff Okudah, Isaiah Simmons, Derrick Brown and Kinlaw all gone.

3) Draft what you know:  Dimitroff has had better luck drafting secondary than any other position.  While not perfect,  Dimitroff has hit on Trufant, Alford, Kazee and Neal(injured) - missed badly on Jalen Collins.   It's also obvious Dan Quinn has an affinity for defenders from two schools - LSU and Florida.

4) CB#1/close to shutdown /// like a Starting Pitching Ace in MLB:   Many teams don't have a legit corner w/ shutdown type of ability.   Henderson has that - 4.39 speed and the size he carries (6'1" over 200lbs) - has the skillset to be a complete corner - i don't wholly believe in 'shudown corners' since Deion Sanders and Darrelle Revis retired but.....Henderson could be that next tier down.

#1-016)  CJ Henderson, CB-Florida (6'1", 204lbs, 4.39/40, 20 reps, 37.5" vert, 127" broad)

Image result for cj henderson

Biggest Drawback:   Tackling - obviously every scouting report points out that Henderson isn't a big fan of tackling.   Obviously tackling is a big part of the NFL game.   You could make the excuse that Henderson was preserving his body so as not to jeopardize his NFL career - don't know if that is true and- even if it is - is that someone you want on your team.

Overall, the skills, size and speed are everything you look for in a CB#1.  Henderson isn't as good a tackler as Okudah but he is similar in most other areas - with more speed.   Watching the movement skills of CJ Henderson is to watch a very fluid mover with easy speed.   Plays under control.

I am just saying many on here won't be too happy if we take a cornerback in the 1st round and won't like the profile of a cornerback w/o good history of tackling.   I am just saying get used to this name.   Very good chance this guy could be the pick.

I still think DQ won't be able to contain himself if Chaisson is there at #16, even though he's a Beasley clone. With Fowler filling in the DE spot, Chaisson would be plugged right in at that hybrid DE/OLB Edge position. 

I don't like it, but I can't see them not doing it. 

3 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

I've been warming myself up to Henderson at 16 since it seems extremely likely to be the pick. It's not the dream scenario or the path I'd take but knowing our FO and seeing the FA plan, it feels a lot like this is the way it will go.

Unless we sign a legit starting corner in free agency prior to the draft - I don't see how the Falcons don't go corner in 1st or 2nd round.   If we don't take a corner in 1st - we have to take one in the 2nd round, right?

Quinn and Dimitroff got some big ones if they go into season w/ Oliver/Sheffield as the only legit competition for starting cornerbacks.

Just now, g-dawg said:

Unless we sign a legit starting corner in free agency prior to the draft - I don't see how the Falcons don't go corner in 1st or 2nd round.   If we don't take a corner in 1st - we have to take one in the 2nd round, right?

Quinn and Dimitroff got some big ones if they go into season w/ Oliver/Sheffield as the only legit competition for starting cornerbacks.

I like both Oliver and Sheffield, but even still there is no way we go into training camp with them penciled in as CB1 and CB2. You have to take a CB high simply for competition and depth at this point. Like you said, if it ain't CB in R1, it's CB in R2.

Just now, dirtybirds233 said:

I still think DQ won't be able to contain himself if Chaisson is there at #16, even though he's a Beasley clone. With Fowler filling in the DE spot, Chaisson would be plugged right in at that hybrid DE/OLB Edge position. 

I don't like it, but I can't see them not doing it. 

I would probably be more excited w/ Chaisson over Henderson - but probably more nervous about that pick as well.   Feel like the "range of outcomes" with Chaisson is greater than other picks we could make at #16.   I am not saying "Beasley" as I know Chaisson is a more physical player than Beasley - but I just don't see Chaisson as a big time sacker of the QB - he would be more of just a OLB where he would likely be good but not sure he would be great - and even if he was - what would that look like?

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Should be a decent corner in 2nd round, maybe even one that is a fan of tackling! :lol:

1 minute ago, Artys Arryn said:

I wouldn't say Henderson doesn't like tackling. He just has bad form at times. He's enthusiastic enough for the most part.

he certainly doesn't mind hitting Quarterbacks 

0 interceptions and a loath to tackle (Tru 2.0)

picks arnt everything but it’s amazing how they can change a game. Not opposed but that highlight reel has some question marks. I saw multiple holds and push offs during coverage which you can’t get away with in the NFL. If he doesn’t tackle our fan base will eat him alive on the boards.

I just don't get the vibes for Henderson. Still trying to figure it out, but if he's not willing to tackle, I can't look passed that. Is he that much better than Gladney or Johnson or Fulton? To me, no. If I'm an OC, I'm just running a shlt ton of tosses to Henderson and making him play football until he taps. At that point, he has no legs to run with my #1 WR. 

Also, what is this place's infatuation with projecting CBs as FS converts? What is that about? Oliver does not show anything that would make him a safety. But that shows me yall still don't understand safety play. 

3 minutes ago, primetime said:

0 interceptions and a loath to tackle (Tru 2.0)

picks arnt everything but it’s amazing how they can change a game. Not opposed but that highlight reel has some question marks. I saw multiple holds and push offs during coverage which you can’t get away with in the NFL. If he doesn’t tackle our fan base will eat him alive on the boards.

it's not like Henderson doesn't have interceptions - it was one year.   Interception stats are somewhat flukey anyway - some of the worst cover guys have interceptions and some of the best sometimes don't.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, vel said:

I just don't get the vibes for Henderson. Still trying to figure it out, but if he's not willing to tackle, I can't look passed that. Is he that much better than Gladney or Johnson or Fulton? To me, no. If I'm an OC, I'm just running a shlt ton of tosses to Henderson and making him play football until he taps. At that point, he has no legs to run with my #1 WR. 

Also, what is this place's infatuation with projecting CBs as FS converts? What is that about? Oliver does not show anything that would make him a safety. But that shows me yall still don't understand safety play. 

A lot think once a good cb loses his speed he can just shift to safety and play an extra couple of years. Thing is it rarely happens well and the guys that do do it where Often ball hawking cbs who excelled in zone anyway. Good Safeties need more smarts than athletic ability. Great safety’s have both

Edited by primetime

2 minutes ago, vel said:

This is where I’m at aswell Fulton or Johnson both physical guys who get it done inside those first 5 yards.Physical is where I believe this defense is headed hence why I’m with those 2 mentioned aswell.

I wouldn't hate it. I truly believe we need an elite corner, a stud DT, and a LB.  If we can get an elite CB at 16, and then trade up in the 2nd for a Gallimore or Blacklock, we will have killed this offseason.  LB in the 4th, if we have to use the 3rd to trade up for one of the DT's?

3 minutes ago, vel said:

Oliver doesn't have elite feet and COD.  He does play the ball well in the air and tackles fairly well.  Those are traits that would make him a good safety.  Regardless, I just don't ever see him as a great man-to-man cover guy.    Henderson has that in spades.

1 minute ago, vel said:

Again, I don't think his tackling issues are a willingness thing. He just has sloppy form. The gap between those guys isn't huge but that's true of pretty much every player that will be available at 16 and their counterparts in R2. He's an elite athlete with a lot of good film. Honestly, I have Henderson and Fulton as 2a and 2b. I like Henderson's ceiling more than Fultons.

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Oliver doesn't have elite feet and COD.  He does play the ball well in the air and tackles fairly well.  Those are traits that would make him a good safety.  Regardless, I just don't ever see him as a great man-to-man cover guy.    Henderson has that in spades.

Morris worked on his hands and feet an mentioned as much.

I like Oliver’s length he recovers really well because of it.