Xavier McKinney

datchrisb1

9 minutes ago, Charles Wright said:

He is great, no doubt. We have stronger needs in 1st and he'll be gone before we pick again. Unless of course we play the draft along 2012's, trade back scenario.

I disagree as McKinney plays the slot, SS, FS and can even play outside on bigger wrs or athletic TEs. We need a guy like him

Does anyone realistically still believe that Neal can be counted on?

He has been on the trainers' tables too often.  His coverage abilities are mediocre.  He still has the habit of leading with his helmet.

I like the guy, but like Moore before him, he is a punishing Safety of a bygone era.  Today the NFL is trying to protect itself from law suits and concussions.  They are actively adjudicating the hard-hitting Safety out of the league.  

I see no reason to keep Neal, except for cap management.  As far as I am concerned, we need to field Safeties that can cover a lot of ground, defending the pass, and that can make the sure tackle in the open field.

If McKinney is that kind of defender, then I can see him as a Falcon.   

45 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Does anyone realistically still believe that Neal can be counted on?

He has been on the trainers' tables too often.  His coverage abilities are mediocre.  He still has the habit of leading with his helmet.

I like the guy, but like Moore before him, he is a punishing Safety of a bygone era.  Today the NFL is trying to protect itself from law suits and concussions.  They are actively adjudicating the hard-hitting Safety out of the league.  

I see no reason to keep Neal, except for cap management.  As far as I am concerned, we need to field Safeties that can cover a lot of ground, defending the pass, and that can make the sure tackle in the open field.

If McKinney is that kind of defender, then I can see him as a Falcon.   

While I think we need a contingency plan, I haven’t wrote Neal off, only because his injuries were completely unrelated, bad luck type injuries. Nothing to make me feel like he will keep tearing ACLs and Achilles because they happened B2B years.

i think his injuries are Moore’s are very different other than they both missed time.

We really need to take a safety in the first few rounds in such a nice class. Delpit, Winfield Jr, McKinney, as well as Chinn and Dugger - any of these guys would bring big talent to the safety room. There are other guys later too, but they're the guys I'm especially looking at.

5 hours ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

His 40 was timed with a sundial. We can do better.

He cut his combine short due to severe cramping, which contributed to his 4.6 forty...see below. 

INDIANAPOLIS -- Xavier McKinney, one of the top defensive backs in the 2020 NFL Draft, will have to wait until his pro day if he wants to show scouts a complete workout. The former Alabama safety cramped during his first attempt at the 40-yard dash on Sunday at the NFL Scouting Combine, according to NFL Network's Kimberly Jones, clocking an official time of 4.63 seconds.

Unfortunately for McKinney, the cramping kept him from a second 40 attempt and on-field drills. Before cramping, McKinney posted a 36-inch vertical jump, which tied him for 17th place among defensive backs, and a broad jump of 10 feet, 2 inches.

Given McKinney's draft status -- NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah ranks him the 14th-best player in the draft -- NFL clubs figure to be watching McKinney closely if he makes up the missed drills at Alabama's pro day workout on March 24.

McKinney was one of Alabama's most consistent defenders last season with 95 tackles, three interceptions, three sacks and four forced fumbles.