LCB Kendall Sheffield Blidi Wreh-Wilson Jordan Miller    
NB Ricardo Allen Chris Cooper      
FS Damontae Kazee Ricardo Allen      
SS Keanu Neal Jamal Carter      

K Younghoe Koo        
P Ryan Allen Sam Irwin-Hill      
LS Josh Harris        
KR/PR OPEN        

Here is where our depth chart stands as of this morning - thanks to AJC for putting it together. Helps me visually as we head towards the draft to see where we need to focus our efforts. DB and LB have to be huge focuses. I copy and pasted a table from Excel, hoping the formatting will come through okay.

21 minutes ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

CB + LB are the biggest needs. DT for rotational pieces.

We need the starters right in those three spots. Davison is cool but he ain't no Brown Kinlaw gallimore or Elliott 

1 hour ago, Charles Wright said:

DT a huge need as well. Only 3 showing, gotta have more for rotation alone.

I have penetrating DT and CB as the primary needs, so I agree.

But this depth chart makes it look worse, because they have 3 different sets of DE's.  One of those sets (with Bailey and Cominsky) is a hybrid DE/DT and they'll be used at DT in a lot of packages.

22 minutes ago, etherdome said:

I agree.  If we can add a good, penetrating pass rusher at the DT position, this defense will take a major step up.  

Exactly that is what our defense is missing a true pass rushing DT not a hybrid not run stopper... but a pass rushing DT... so far we only have one Grady 

I may be in the minority, but for this time of year the roster doesn’t look bad. We obviously have needs at LB, NB, and DT rotation, but there certainly are plenty of teams with more glaring needs. That’s not to say we can’t stand to infuse more talent in some spots (FS, CB, DE, DT, RG)

1 hour ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

Agreed here unless Kinlaw or Brown fall into our lap in round 1, CB is an injury away from being a mess even if you believe in the boundary CB starters. LB is just purely thin.

With Bailey, Cominsky and JTM all being able to play inside in sub packages and Grady, Davison and Senat playing the majority of snaps in base packages, I think DT is more of a luxury than need at this point. Yes, I'd love to have a stud next to Grady but it's not as urgent as LB or DB.

28 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

I may be in the minority, but for this time of year the roster doesn’t look bad. We obviously have needs at LB, NB, and DT rotation, but there certainly are plenty of teams with more glaring needs. That’s not to say we can’t stand to infuse more talent in some spots (FS, CB, DE, DT, RG)

Agree. It's difficult to see how TD and the FO could've have gotten more talent or better talent so far in FA with the cap limitations they were up against. I'd have been happy with just Fowler or Gurley in FA, but we also got both and a couple of other pieces that look to be good fits.

Falcons should have a lot of flexibility going into the draft now. This off-season is starting to become a little more fun to watch take shape. This is definitely not going to be the same team that bumbled through the last two seasons after the remainder of FA and the draft.

Getting off to a good start will be crucial to a good season and Fowler and Gurley give them a couple of impact players to help the Falcons make that happen. Hopefully they won't be the only impact players added to the roster before regular season starts. I think the chances are good to excellent we'll see at least two more impact players added in the draft, if not more.

1 hour ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

More importantly they HAVE to hit on those picks.  If any of them bust, it could be the end of the brain trust of DQ TD. 

43 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

Agreed here unless Kinlaw or Brown fall into our lap in round 1, CB is an injury away from being a mess even if you believe in the boundary CB starters. LB is just purely thin.

Gotta be thinking about safety as well.

SS
We have zero clue what we still have in Neal at this point. So to assume he's going to bounce back just fine after back to back season ending lower body injuries strikes me as dangerous/foolish/blindly optimistic. Not saying he can't or won't bounce back, but it doesn't seem like a gimme by any stretch. And what if he does come back and play decent enough this year? Do you get sucked into giving him a long-term deal (seems risky after just one year back), franchise tag him (might not be worth the price), or let him walk? Bottom line, there is lot's of uncertainty with this spot at the moment.

FS
Consider that next year Rico has a cap hit of $8.375M... which is $5M more than his cap numbers from the past two seasons. Is a 30 year old version of Rico really gonna be worth that kind of cap hit? He can be cut next offseason for a $6.25M savings & $2.1M in dead money.

Consider also that Kazee will be a UFA after this season. People got a little too high on the guy because he got a bunch of INTs a year ago, but the reality was that he also gave up a ton of huge plays. He seemed a little better this past season, but nothing particularly special. Is he the long-term solution at FS if Rico is cut next year? Maybe, maybe not.

It seems highly unlikely that both of those guys would be brought back long-term beyond this season... and it's entirely possible that neither are the long-term solution for the position.

For a team that will still need to be working toward better cap management/flexibility over the next year or two, getting young, more reliably healthy players on rookie deals seems like a better way to do things IMO compared to continuing to get hitched to giving big money to players who were good a few years ago but have since become replaceable.

55 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

Exactly that is what our defense is missing a true pass rushing DT not a hybrid not run stopper... but a pass rushing DT... so far we only have one Grady 

Clearly, Kinlaw would be the ideal guy to pair with Jarrett.  Kinlaw will likely get drafted ahead of #16, so drafting Gallimore or Blacklock might be our best move.  Going that route may allow us to trade down and pick up a 3rd rounder.   

Posted (edited)

Looks like Hill will be gone after the draft. His 2 million tag is too much for a 4th stringer.

Kazee seems to have won the FS gig, though nobody knows if Neal will ever be the same. We also might play a lot of three safety sets.

Senat would probably still be inactive even we have only three DTs ;)

We need DT/LB/CB/DE in the draft, those should be the first 4 picks (no specific order implied). We should also draft a blocking TE, a speedy RB and a backup C in the later rounds.

Edited by Herr Beast

3 hours ago, Emmitt said:

Ollison over Hill? I’m not against it. Just surprising.

Ollison is our goalline back.  Ito is our change of pace behind Gurley.  Not sure if either have a role on Special Teams.  Hill is going to have a tough time carving out a role for himself on the 53 man roster, especially game day.

3 hours ago, Charles Wright said:

DT a huge need as well. Only 3 showing, gotta have more for rotation alone.

but but but, there's a mock draft thread over yonder where I questioned the lack of DL picks, and was told we need 2 CB, 2 LB an 2 S, that we're set on DL.....

:shrug:

4 minutes ago, Herr Beast said:

Looks like Hill will be gone after the draft. His 2 million tag is too much for a 4th stringer.

Kazee seems to have won the FS gig, though nobody knows if Neal will ever be the same. We also might play a lot of three safety sets.

Senat would probably still be inactive even we have only three DTs ;)

We need DT/LB/CB/DE in the draft, those should be the first 4 picks (no specific order implied). We should also draft a blocking TE, a speedy RB and a backup C in the later rounds.

Seriously doubt this is anything other than an AJC list.   All of our new pick ups aren't technically on the team yet (pending physicals and paperwork) and I don't think Hill hasn't signed his tender so he's technically still a FA as well.  Additionally I seriously doubt the Falcons would have even bothered tendering him if they didn't plan to keep him but no doubt he will have to run his butt off to keep them from walking away.  They post the official depth chart on af.com site.

15 minutes ago, pzummo said:

Ollison is our goalline back.  Ito is our change of pace behind Gurley.  Not sure if either have a role on Special Teams.  Hill is going to have a tough time carving out a role for himself on the 53 man roster, especially game day.

Hill has shown to be able to handle more than Smith has.  I can see Smith being cut loose, and Hill being retained, because out of him and Smith, Hill stands the better chance of taking more snaps along with Gurley because of his production and Smith's higher risk of injury early in his career.

In regards to ST, Hill played in 20-30 percent of ST snaps while Smith hasn't played for than 6 percent in any of the time he's been here.

Hill just has more to offer at this point.