Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Falcons Fan MVP

Do you think the Corona virus will ruin the 2020 NFL season?

Posted (edited)

Hard to say, but its a long time away.  I'm hopeful that in a couple of more weeks the spread slows down.  I keep hearing about how some are not doing their part with the distance.  Life today in 2020 is so much easier to deal with while isolated in your home than it was even 20 years ago.  

Technology has come a long way, so its not terrible.  I just hope people do the right thing.  I keep thinking this has put some of our biggest problems as a society on display.  Now lets see if things get addressed after this passes or do people continue with the selfishness.

Edited by isproab

7 hours ago, octoslash said:

The hysteria over this bug has already done far more damage than the bug itself ever could.  

It’s a complicated response. I agree the media has been reckless and irresponsible in their hair on fire reporting, advancing wildly misleading statistics on the death rates, frightening the masses into absurd overreaction activities such as hoarding toilet paper and some foods.

The problem with this virus is the conditions it causes in those who get severe symptoms. It attacks the lung tissue requiring hospitalization in enough of a percentage of the local population that it overwhelms healthcare system infrastructure all the way from the workers, physicians, hospital beds etc. To counteract this, it then has a profound economic and financial impact. This is a really ugly 3 headed monster.

So while I doubt (not saying for certain) but while I doubt the total number of deaths in United States will eclipse  the number of Americans who died of flu complications on 2017/2018 flu season which was 80,000 deaths, it is having a monumentally bigger impact when considering the economic and financial impact its having on the world.

In New York City, it’s about to get really, really ugly. We just have to hope this cure it appears they found can get administered into the system fast enough to slow down the massive wave that is about to crush their healthcare resources.  

Its beyond desperate in Italy. They didn’t limit social events soon enough and it contagion spread like wildfire, now they are in such bad shape it really is apocalyptic in some ways without food, families are dropping dying and dead  family members off at church’s and at the curb of public institutions, hundreds of physicians are dying treating the sick so they have a massive doctor shortage. It’s bad, it’s really bad. I don’t expect that to happen here, we are far more prepared to deal with something like this that Italy was. But this next week or two is going to get really ugly here in US.

33 minutes ago, gazoo said:

It’s a complicated response. I agree the media has been reckless and irresponsible in their hair on fire reporting, advancing wildly misleading statistics on the death rates, frightening the masses into absurd overreaction activities such as hoarding toilet paper and some foods.

The problem with this virus is the conditions it causes in those who get severe symptoms. It attacks the lung tissue requiring hospitalization in enough of a percentage of the local population that it overwhelms healthcare system infrastructure all the way from the workers, physicians, hospital beds etc. To counteract this, it then has a profound economic and financial impact. This is a really ugly 3 headed monster.

So while I doubt (not saying for certain) but while I doubt the total number of deaths in United States will eclipse  the number of Americans who died of flu complications on 2017/2018 flu season which was 80,000 deaths, it is having a monumentally bigger impact when considering the economic and financial impact its having on the world.

In New York City, it’s about to get really, really ugly. We just have to hope this cure it appears they found can get administered into the system fast enough to slow down the massive wave that is about to crush their healthcare resources.  

Its beyond desperate in Italy. They didn’t limit social events soon enough and it contagion spread like wildfire, now they are in such bad shape it really is apocalyptic in some ways without food, families are dropping dying and dead  family members off at church’s and at the curb of public institutions, hundreds of physicians are dying treating the sick so they have a massive doctor shortage. It’s bad, it’s really bad. I don’t expect that to happen here, we are far more prepared to deal with something like this that Italy was. But this next week or two is going to get really ugly here in US.

I think they should just put everyone on lock down 2-3 weeks and close grocery stores at 5pm everyday. They should have the treatment ready by then. 

Plaquenil (the anti-malarial drug mentioned earlier) and Zithromax (antibiotic)  are being used together to treat COVID-19.  Neither has anti-viral activity, however, both have significant anti-inflammatory effects.

The two drugs are being used together to mitigate the pulmonary and cardiac effects of this virus.  

It is becoming clear that the virus causes an abnormal pathological inflammatory response that ultimately causes the most severe damage to humans.  

Mitigate the inflammation and you mitigate the damage.  

On 3/23/2020 at 5:44 PM, gazoo said:

Italy has seen a couple of days consecutive where the numbers of cases has gone down, so that's a very good sign.

1 hour ago, octoslash said:

Italy has seen a couple of days consecutive where the numbers of cases has gone down, so that's a very good sign.

I’ll bet they started treating the patients with hydroxychloroquine . It doesn’t take long at all for it to kick 8n

On 3/23/2020 at 0:35 AM, Lowndesfalc said:

Many times a virus becomes less effective with  warm weather. With this one, who knows. Reasons being that more people are outside with warm weather and not interacting as much indoors where the air is dryer.  There is more humidity in the air during warm weather. Virus attaches to humid air which drops quickly and virus doesn’t stay in the air very long. We can pray that happens. Not for sports but for humanity. Maybe we can be more prepared for the next one. 

It’s all about vitamin D from the sun that helps boost immune system responses.   This is why quarantines can have negative impact on people’s ability to fight off diseases and viruses if they stay indoors.  Make sure to get some sun while at home, take a local walk, and help yourself out.

You know what is super frustrating right now, is that a bunch of people with no medical knowledge whatsoever are taking blurbs from unreliable news sources and pushing them out as facts.  

Here are some facts everyone needs to be clear on: 

1. The current WHO estimates of death rate are 3.4% as of March 3rd.  This is an estimate to adjust for the delay in response.  The real rate is 4.5%.  (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/)

2. The number is still going up in terms of both deaths, and reported cases.  (https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/peteraldhous/coronavirus-deaths-by-country)

3.  The US has had possibly the worst response in regards to testing of any major country (https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/24/820981710/fact-check-u-s-testing-still-isnt-close-to-what-south-korea-has-done)

Now to step away from hard cold facts, estimates suggest the US has over 500,000 contaminated people right now with less than 70% of them showing any symptoms.  So please for the love of god, if you have no idea what you're talking about, shut up and stop giving out fake information that could result in other people getting sick due to your negligence. 

On 3/23/2020 at 1:18 AM, gazoo said:

OIt appears to me they’ve got a cure for it that takes 3-6 days to kill the virus in the system. It’s not 100% certain, but it’s pretty dam close at this point.

It’s medication I have to take when I go to Africa to prevent me from getting malaria. Chloroquine. The dosage is very close to what it is for malaria only you take it just 10 days for the virus and for malaria much longer.

They are already giving it to patients in the hospital systems in NYC with great success by prescribing it “off label” until the FDA approves it for CV. Dr William Grace, a lead physician at Lenox Hill Hospital in Manhattan said all this in an interview Wednesday night.  Here is the interview Michelle Godschalk , here is the physician at Lenox Hill Hospital in Manhattan Dr William Grace, being interviewed last week stating hospitals all across the United States are already using this drug successfully. He said “in the trenches” everyone is using this drug already as they wait for FDA approval. He said he’s spoken to several other hospitals about this and it’s a big success so far  . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYyrQ4RxtOQ

We should know a LOT more later this week.

Here is an actor who’s dr prescribed it to him and he got better. He called the Chloroquine a secret weapon against the virus. Listen at 4 minutes in as he talks about it

Actor Daniel Dae Kim Credits Anti-Malaria Drug his Doctor prescribed to him
https://youtu.be/QuKbXhJ7bFQ 

Oh man!! Let's hope this is true and we start giving this drug to everyone and we can finally beat this coronavirus thing and get back to normal!!

9 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Oh man!! Let's hope this is true and we start giving this drug to everyone and we can finally beat this coronavirus thing and get back to normal!!

You realize that there arent millions upon millions of doses of these medications ready to go in a massive hidden stockpile somewhere? It will take manufacturers some time to ramp up production...they are not super common medications in themselves in terms of overall prescribing practices in the US.

Cobb County in Georgia has been declared an emergency and issued shelter in place till 15 April orders with only essential businesses to remain open.  We'll see how that works I guess.

2 minutes ago, ki46dinah said:

You realize that there arent millions upon millions of doses of these medications ready to go in a massive hidden stockpile somewhere? It will take manufacturers some time to ramp up production...they are not super common medications in themselves in terms of overall prescribing practices in the US.

And?????????????????????????????????

What exactly does that have to do with what I said?

it is really up in the air unfortunately this virus doesn't seem to be effected by the heat like the flu virus, reports are show it spreading in the Amazon Rain forest

4 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

And?????????????????????????????????

What exactly does that have to do with what I said?

You make it sound as easy as just giving everyone the treatment and “getting back to normal”....it’s much more complicated and challenging than that.

1 hour ago, ki46dinah said:

You make it sound as easy as just giving everyone the treatment and “getting back to normal”....it’s much more complicated and challenging than that.

Well of course it is. But if this drug helps and we can get back to normal in only 2 more months instead of 6 more months..... That is all I was saying. Jesus ******* Christ you sound like that jackass on Twitter just now that **** all over that doctor and his video. Why is it that no one can even hope for things to get better without people like you coming into it and ****ting all over the **** thing because you want to believe that life as we know it will never be better and we're all gonna die and we might as well not even ******* try!!

I don't post much, but this needs to be said:

1. There is no cure right now. There are drugs that doctors are trying, but nothing has been declared a cure by any doctor or scientist. Also, please do not take anything unless a doctor prescribes it to you. There are cases of people taking substances they hear about on the news and they have passed. 
  2. Social distancing only helps reduce the strain on the hospitals and doctors. This will not magically cure us or make us develop some kind of immunity to the virus. It's only to make sure our medical care workers do not get overwhelmed like Italy and China.
  3.  This will not be done by Easter. Think more of July 4th (unless a cure is found quickly)
  4. This is a virus, it doesn't discriminate. Young and old, humans of all races have caught and passed from this virus.

Please take this seriously, listen to the stay in place orders and life will return to normal in a few months hopefully. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2020 at 5:44 PM, gazoo said:

They were saying on the news today that the Italy numbers were the same as normal. In other words they may have died from choking on a gummi bear.  Or hanging out in the hot tub too long. Or conversing on tatf too long, take your pick. 12 percent are said of dead of the Wuhan virus. Those were dead men walking already

Edited by falconticket

5 hours ago, Lucas said:

I don't post much, but this needs to be said:

1. There is no cure right now. There are drugs that doctors are trying, but nothing has been declared a cure by any doctor or scientist. Also, please do not take anything unless a doctor prescribes it to you. There are cases of people taking substances they hear about on the news and they have passed. 
  2. Social distancing only helps reduce the strain on the hospitals and doctors. This will not magically cure us or make us develop some kind of immunity to the virus. It's only to make sure our medical care workers do not get overwhelmed like Italy and China.
  3.  This will not be done by Easter. Think more of July 4th (unless a cure is found quickly)
  4. This is a virus, it doesn't discriminate. Young and old, humans of all races have caught and passed from this virus.

Please take this seriously, listen to the stay in place orders and life will return to normal in a few months hopefully. 

Wash your hands, practice social distancing, and DON’T PANIC.

Governor Cuomo was shocked today when he said the models were wrong, that New York City is experiencing way lower infection rates than the models predicted. He said the news was “almost too hard to believe” it was so good. It will still get worse before it gets better, but America will not be shut down for several months. 

We will all be back to work soon, you can bank on it. 

7 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Well of course it is. But if this drug helps and we can get back to normal in only 2 more months instead of 6 more months..... That is all I was saying. Jesus ******* Christ you sound like that jackass on Twitter just now that **** all over that doctor and his video. Why is it that no one can even hope for things to get better without people like you coming into it and ****ting all over the **** thing because you want to believe that life as we know it will never be better and we're all gonna die and we might as well not even ******* try!!

Everyone seems to react differently to their fear.

Some attack or downplay good news, some go into apocalyptic scenarios with no faith or hope, some believe the sometimes hyperbolic and often misleading media. Others refuse to buy the media narratives and just pay attention to the physicians working in the trenches and have faith in the incredible machine called America and the worlds scientific community who are all working around the clock to get us all back to work ASAP. 

For me, I’m paying very close attention to what ***physicians in the trenches*** in New York City either running the hospitals or running medical centers in the New York area are saying.  They are the ones administering the trial drugs, they are the ones reporting tremendous success with them.*$# the news and many of the politicians, I don’t trust most of them as far as I can throw them. The physicians are who I listen to the most. I have heard SEVERAL say the same thing, this stuff is working, and it’s working fast. 

Some are hysterical over the number of infections that have spiked recently, but their news didn’t tell them a big reason is because they just started broader testing, so of course confirmed cases are spiking. I’m paying far more attention to hospitalizations and deaths than I am infections. Over 80% of people who get it don’t have symptoms, so the key to getting back to work is how to slow the number who are having to be hospitalized and ultimately dying. The Wall Street Journal just today had an article asking is the fatality rate way lower than initially estimated. The 3.4% WHO number was misleading, it only divided number of confirmed cases by deaths as opposed to estimated cases by deaths. Using CDC numbers, if you divided confirmed flu cases by deaths in US this year it would be a 10% fatality rate. The fatality rate in United States has dropped to 1.2% and continues to go down.

One physician who had a clinic in an area where most of his patients were high risk, started treating the patients who tested positive for Coronavirus with  hydroxychloroquine and zinc. He treated over 350 high risk, older patients just as they symptoms started, and ZERO had to be hospitalized and ZERO died.  Out of 350 high risk patients!

A manufacturing facility in West Virginia just opens up and they will start cranking out doses of this drug starting in just 2 weeks! I believe there are at least two more in the works if not many more.

The entire worlds scientific community is all over this and there are other drugs that have shown tremendous results in Remdesivir , Japan has another drug called Avigan that is working very well. 

America will be back to work shortly.  Just watch.