Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ADAMSVILLE GYM

Remembering the greatest defense in NFL history

That team was a lot of fun to watch on defense and totally frustrating on offense. Saw Glanville actually blitz all 11 defenders several times that season. I know he had serious issues as a head coach but he was the best there was as a DC for several years during that era. 

And again, I love those uniforms. I sure hope our new ones look a lot like those. 

On 3/22/2020 at 6:32 PM, ratesforless said:

If only they had the '80, '98, or '16 offense to go with it. Oh well...

The 91 offense would have been enough. Any offense from 1998-now excluding 2007.

As historically great as that defense was that's close to how bad that offense was.

If the Falcons had just a mediocre offense that could control the clock somewhat that year we're probably talking about a team that gave up less than 100 points for a season and probably several more wins.

Hands down the best defense the league will ever see.

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I think we held a couple teams to three points and lost both games. Brutal offense.

“The moment that summed up the 1977 Falcons came when they played OJ Simpson & the Buffalo Bills in Week Five. The Falcons trailed 3-0 late in the fourth quarter when they blocked a punt and had a first down on the Buffalo 13-yard line. They ran four plays, failed to get a first down, and the game was over.

Points Allowed Per Game

1977 Falcons: 9.2

2000 Ravens: 10.2

1985 Bears: 12.1

Yards Allowed Per Game

1977 Falcons: 231.6

2000 Ravens: 247.9

1985 Bears: 258.4

Okay, so they didn't allow a lot of total yards. What if that's just because their opponents didn't run a lot of plays?

Net Yards Per Play

1977 Falcons: 3.7

2000 Ravens: 4.3

1985 Bears: 4.4

Well, sure, holding a team in their place is important, but what about making big plays on their own? The kinds of plays that shift momentum.

Turnovers Per Game

1977 Falcons: 3.42

2000 Ravens: 3.06

1985 Bears: 2.84

The only major defensive category the 1977 Falcons weren't tops in compared to the other two was sacks.

Of course, the 1977 Falcons didn't make the playoffs. They didn't even have a winning record. Don't blame the defense for that though. It all lies with the offense.

Offensive Touchdowns Per Game (Regular Season)

1985 Bears: 2.75

2000 Ravens:1.81

1977 Falcons: 1.21

Field Goals Per Game (Regular Season)

2000 Ravens: 2.18

1985 Bears 1.93

1977 Falcons 0.92

Each of these defenses had something that summed up their season. For the 2000 Ravens, it was allowing just one defensive touchdown in four playoff games. The 1985 Bears had a similar streak, allowing just one touchdown in their three playoff games.

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I think we held a couple teams to three points and lost both games. Brutal offense.

:lol: imagine if we had Sark. Superbowl for sure 

57 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

“The moment that summed up the 1977 Falcons came when they played OJ Simpson & the Buffalo Bills in Week Five. The Falcons trailed 3-0 late in the fourth quarter when they blocked a punt and had a first down on the Buffalo 13-yard line. They ran four plays, failed to get a first down, and the game was over.

Was OT a thing back then or were they that stupid? 

4 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Points Allowed Per Game

1977 Falcons: 9.2

2000 Ravens: 10.2

1985 Bears: 12.1

Yards Allowed Per Game

1977 Falcons: 231.6

2000 Ravens: 247.9

1985 Bears: 258.4

Okay, so they didn't allow a lot of total yards. What if that's just because their opponents didn't run a lot of plays?

Net Yards Per Play

1977 Falcons: 3.7

2000 Ravens: 4.3

1985 Bears: 4.4

Well, sure, holding a team in their place is important, but what about making big plays on their own? The kinds of plays that shift momentum.

Turnovers Per Game

1977 Falcons: 3.42

2000 Ravens: 3.06

1985 Bears: 2.84

The only major defensive category the 1977 Falcons weren't tops in compared to the other two was sacks.

Of course, the 1977 Falcons didn't make the playoffs. They didn't even have a winning record. Don't blame the defense for that though. It all lies with the offense.

Offensive Touchdowns Per Game (Regular Season)

1985 Bears: 2.75

2000 Ravens:1.81

1977 Falcons: 1.21

Field Goals Per Game (Regular Season)

2000 Ravens: 2.18

1985 Bears 1.93

1977 Falcons 0.92

Each of these defenses had something that summed up their season. For the 2000 Ravens, it was allowing just one defensive touchdown in four playoff games. The 1985 Bears had a similar streak, allowing just one touchdown in their three playoff games.

On 3/22/2020 at 6:00 PM, ADAMSVILLE GYM said:

On 3/22/2020 at 6:07 PM, NCFalconfan said:

129 points given up (really 122 because 1 TD was a defensive pick 6) in a season.

File that one under "Records That Will Never Be Broken".

9 hours ago, Schwarzwald said:

Can anyone translate or articulate the defense into madden terms lol 

11 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

The 2 examples you provided won Super Bowls. The 77 birds didn’t make the playoffs. The fact that they still get recognition in spite of those circumstances should tell you just how good they were

Truth. A 7-7 .500 team.

10 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

We lost 3-0 to the Bills 

We lost 10-6 to the Skins

We lost 10-3 to the 49ers

Too bad our offense sucked so bad. 

We scored under 10 in 6 games

Only averaged 12.8 ppg

Only threw 8 passing TDs the entire season

13 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

The 2 examples you provided won Super Bowls. The 77 birds didn’t make the playoffs. The fact that they still get recognition in spite of those circumstances should tell you just how good they were

The truth of this statement is proven by the fact nobody talks about the 86 Bears defense which was better than the 85 Bears defense

13 hours ago, Black Francis said:

Just makes my heart hurt once more. This life goes fast lol. 

Yes it does, can remember the Rams game cause Namath was coming to town, the first game I had ever been too. I was 12 years old and my brother and I got on the bus in Brookhaven and went to the game. They swarmed Namath he had no chance. When we were leaving the stadium to catch the shuttle ran into some neighbors tailgating in their old RV and they gave us a ride home. 

On 3/22/2020 at 7:03 PM, E. T. said:

From 1977 to about 1982, we had a very good run. Should have at least come out with 1 championship especially in 1980.

Those dam Cowboys!!!!

I thought for sure that game was won when Roger Staubach went down, and was replaced with some kid no one ever heard of - Danny White!

41 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

Yes it does, can remember the Rams game cause Namath was coming to town, the first game I had ever been too. I was 12 years old and my brother and I got on the bus in Brookhaven and went to the game. They swarmed Namath he had no chance. When we were leaving the stadium to catch the shuttle ran into some neighbors tailgating in their old RV and they gave us a ride home. 

I was just getting into the game as a young boy watching with my Father. Bittersweet memories. He’s still alive but not sure about how much time is left. It flew by. 

57 minutes ago, NCCooley said:

I thought for sure that game was won when Roger Staubach went down, and was replaced with some kid no one ever heard of - Danny White!

Lol....I remember that. The Falcons have a way of making QB's famous! That still holds true to this day.

On 3/22/2020 at 6:10 PM, Atlantafan21 said:

And to this day, they get completely disrespected. People always mention the 2000 ravens or 85 Bears but no one even brings up the gritz blitz, which is a shame. 

Yep. Google 'best NFL defenses of all time' and you'll be hard pressed to find a list with the '77 Falcons. The '85 Bears gave up 3 more points per game than the '77 Falcons. 

On 3/22/2020 at 6:32 PM, ratesforless said:

If only they had the '80, '98, or '16 offense to go with it. Oh well...

Shoot if we had the '16 offense with the '17 defense, we would have two Super Bowls back to back. 

Thanks for sharing. I was 4 when that happened and my father was in the process of attempting to force me into being a Cowboys fan...

**Especially dig the prn music that transitions into banjo music and back. ;)

1 hour ago, NCCooley said:

Yeah, their punter came in and whipped us at QB.   Lol. 

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Just the one against the Bills apparently, but still embarrassing.

Yeah, heading into the final week of the season the Falcons were averaging 11 ppg 

Putting up 35 on the Saints really skewed our offensive numbers.  5 of the teams 17 TD’s were in the final game