Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Absolute

Draft in Vegas cancelled?

No draft due to COVID-19

It looks like the 2020 NFL Draft won't be in Las Vegas due to growing coronavirus concerns. 

With the MLB, NHL, MLS and NBA postponing their seasons, anything is possible for the upcoming draft. According to a recent report from Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times, the NFL Draft from April 23-25 in Las Vegas has been canceled and the league is weighing its options moving forward.  

While the event still will take place next month, the current plan will be to move forward with a studio setting in which there will be cut-ins from team headquarters of the team making a selection at any given time, according to Farmer. 

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, obviously, is not commenting on the situation at this time given everything is still up in the air but the LA Times actually obtained a statement from Goodell that was sent out to league employees over the past week.

"Planning for the Draft is a good example of how we need to think differently, embrace technology and collaborate. We will also use the Draft to help support fans and those people impacted in our communities. 

While there have been changes to the way we work and some of our plans, we have an unwavering commitment to upholding the NFL’s legacy of unifying and lifting the spirit of America, and bringing out the best in our fans and in our communities around the world. You’ll hear more from us in the days and weeks ahead about how we intend to demonstrate that commitment well beyond our fields. And I hope you’ll share your ideas on how we can do that."

Do with that statement what you will, but it sounds like the draft is off in Vegas. It's extremely unfortunate for all the players who worked so hard to be drafted, but everyone's health needs to be taken into account during this time with the COVID-19 outbreak. 

Hey fellas, they've been saying this is a distinct possibility for quite some time now.  

The draft will probably take place, just remotely. Obviously no large gatherings.

I imagine it would still be televised in some way.  But I believe they recently said it would not be postponed altogether.  

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

Of course the physical draft is cancelled. People acting like this would be solved in 2-3 weeks are in a fantasy world. 

They have a lot of tools at their disposal - looking forward to seeing what they come up with. Drag it out multiple nights and throw content at us.

He literally says they still want to use the draft to help the people of America who are desperate for something to take their minds off of all the craziness. Still use the draft for some positive morale. 

34 minutes ago, Dirtybird3 said:

Wait the draft is canceled or the physical draft? The draft can still happen, past the kids in the green room everybody is at home via cameras waiting for a call anyway

"While the event still will take place next month, the current plan will be to move forward with a studio setting in which there will be cut-ins from team headquarters of the team making a selection at any given time, according to Farmer. "

12 minutes ago, stingbee said:

It will be a virtual draft!!! Cut all the nonsense and extra nuances, and you can get this draft done in one day. No need for 3 days!!!  

Wishful thinking but I just hope they speed up the process in round 1.

14 minutes ago, stingbee said:

It will be a virtual draft!!! Cut all the nonsense and extra nuances, and you can get this draft done in one day. No need for 3 days!!!  

We’re going to be stuck in our houses for who knows how long and all the NFL news and content is a welcome distraction for me. I want more days not less!

3 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Your thread title is honestly kind of click baitish....the actual draft is going to happen. Just the event in Las Vegas is canceled which everyone already knew about 

My title literally says exactly what you just said...

4 hours ago, jfalconsp said:

Of course the physical draft is cancelled. People acting like this would be solved in 2-3 weeks are in a fantasy world. 

They have a lot of tools at their disposal - looking forward to seeing what they come up with. Drag it out multiple nights and throw content at us.

We’ll be lucky if there’s still a football season this year.

They may have to push it back by a month or two at least.

It’s doubtful teams report for training camp in 3 1/2 months.

4 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I'd just as soon have it done remotely every year.  The atmosphere at the draft does nothing for me, I don't find it exciting in the least.  I just want to see who gets picked from what team.  

Exactly...I'm sure they'd get the same viewership doing it this way going forward.  It's the NFL!