Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cole World

Kendall Sheffield putting in work

1 hour ago, Schwarzwald said:

I hope we bring BWW back for boundary CB depth; since only KSheff and IO will be available weeks 1-4; due to Miller’s suspension and having not see him play defense last year as a rookie.

Still likely we grab a CB somewhere in round 1 or 2, IMO.

Sheffield showed he could play future Nickel for us at minimum or allows us to bench Oliver if he regresses for some reason.

Both ramped up their play when Morris took over DBs. I think releasing Tru was about their confidence in the draft and also with Whitt added to help the secondary, so justified starting to free up cap space on his contract.

I’m also seeing Safety needs decisions by next year at latest. Upgrades are possible if Kazee doesn’t lock it down. Who knows where he and Rico play if Neal is healthy for SS. :shrug:

But Sheffield was a big surprise and just needs to grow to play the ball more than the receiver. That’s where Whitt comes in.

Throw in a draft pick? Cominsky progress at all year 2? Figure out SLB in base D and the sub package group there and let’s go. Maybe add a DL through round 2 if it falls better than a LB or CB...but I’m thinking without a trade down we vastly improve CB and SLB and roll with mostly the existing DL as it is now.

This is where I'm at with this whole ordeal.

During Quinn tenure:

- The team have not drafted a DT in the first round (I'm wondering is that because Quinn rotate his linemen so much and uses his SDE as a DT in nickel).

- I could be wrong on this, but I believe every player they selected in the 1st round they actually worked out. This could be a first since the whole COVID-19 stuff.

I'm strongly leaning towards CB being the pick (CJ Henderson or Trevon Diggs), although I'm hoping Chaisson is there when we pick.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, GATXBOI said:

Damon Arnette anybody 

Definitely not a guy you want for press coverage but he's great in zone.  Depends on our scheme but with the big and fast receivers in the NFC South, we definitely need someone who can play press.

I'm hoping Trevon Diggs is available at our second round pick.  He can pretty much do it all and would be a great scheme fit.

Edited by falconfansince66

1 hour ago, atlbaby said:

During Quinn tenure:

- The team have not drafted a DT in the first round (I'm wondering is that because Quinn rotate his linemen so much and uses his SDE as a DT in nickel).

- I could be wrong on this, but I believe every player they selected in the 1st round they actually worked out. This could be a first since the whole COVID-19 stuff.

I'm strongly leaning towards CB being the pick (CJ Henderson or Trevon Diggs), although I'm hoping Chaisson is there when we pick.

Quinn, try every coach since Ive lived.

Since I was born in 1988, we have taken exactly 1 DT in the first round, Peria freaking Jerry. That's it.... he may as well not even count

3 hours ago, falconfansince66 said:

Definitely not a guy you want for press coverage but he's great in zone.  Depends on our scheme but with the big and fast receivers in the NFC South, we definitely need someone who can play press.

I'm hoping Trevon Diggs is available at our second round pick.  He can pretty much do it all and would be a great scheme fit.

Dude was sticky and did well no matter what type of coverage they asked him to play.

4 hours ago, atlbaby said:

During Quinn tenure:

With regards to CBs what do you think there looking for the athleticism or the physicality.

I see a lot of press coverage so I’m personally looking at what CBs do inside the first 5 yards.

11 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Taking the top CB from OSU is like a guaranteed win lately. Last 4 CB1s drafted (or to be drafted)

Lattimore

Ward

Sheffield

Okudah

That looks more like 50/50. Considering 1 hasn't played a down and the other is a 2and year player with potential that struggled their rookie season.

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

With regards to CBs what do you think there looking for the athleticism or the physicality.

I see a lot of press coverage so I’m personally looking at what CBs do inside the first 5 yards.

I say both

On 3/22/2020 at 9:03 AM, 1989Fan said:

What a steal in round 4. This guy can play. Think he will be our CB1 and made Tru expendable. 

Ohio State is becoming DB university. Putting tons of talent in the NFL year after year. The same goes for defensive ends as well.

On 3/22/2020 at 7:40 PM, kiwifalcon said:

My guess is physicality and technique over top line speed. Top line speed is great but if you aren't physical and waste too many steps then it really doesn't matter. Some of the top DB's in football aren't the fastest but they are physical and have great technique.

On 3/22/2020 at 9:07 AM, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I have a feeling he was still recovering from his injury last year. Could potentially be a break out player this or next season.

He wasn’t, at all actually. But he’s a baller. 

36 minutes ago, jetpac said:

He wasn’t, at all actually. But he’s a baller. 

Oh he was at full speed and strength from the injury that normally takes almost a year and a half to FULLY recover from???

Wonder why he didn't go until the 4th round then. 

Athleticism doesn’t mean anything in the NFL if you can’t execute scheme responsibilities and make the right reads. I hope he turns all-pro but I will hold my breath on him until the season starts.

Athleticism doesn’t mean anything in the NFL if you can’t execute scheme responsibilities and make the right reads. I hope he turns all-pro but I will hold my breath on him until the season starts.

1 hour ago, Fired Up said:

Remember guys, this is the player that kept Jeff Okudah on the bench at OSU. Not saying he's the best CB out there, but the kid can ball. He was also the fastest player for OSU too. 

All of this. 

He played well as a rookie. Its not a stretch for a 4th round pick to become a baller. He has the ideal physical tools to do so.
And obviously the FO felt like we had some talent within to be able to let go of Trufant. 
He looks like Debo in his workouts. These read and react drills tend to pay big dividends on the field