• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FalconOdense

K'Lavon Chaisson

15 minutes ago, FalconOdense said:

He is starting to grow on me...

Football player man peeps are just posted in on edge and double digit sacks.This dude is going to help you in soo many ways.I don’t think they’ll get a shot at him but if he’s there man it would be a hard pass.Guy just showed in that short film what he can do.

I also have a question about Chaisson. Beasley was useful ableit inconsistent at times; but he did alot on our defense. Vic dropped into coverage, rushed the passer and spied the QB. Can Chaisson do those same things? And if so can he do those things as well as Vic or better? Also, Vic had a crazy combination of strength and speed; how does Chaisson compare to Vic athletically? I didn't pay attention to the combine at all.

8 hours ago, quickzero said:

I also have a question about Chaisson. Beasley was useful ableit inconsistent at times; but he did alot on our defense. Vic dropped into coverage, rushed the passer and spied the QB. Can Chaisson do those same things? And if so can he do those things as well as Vic or better? Also, Vic had a crazy combination of strength and speed; how does Chaisson compare to Vic athletically? I didn't pay attention to the combine at all.

Vic’s probably a better athlete than Chaisson.The issue is VB44 didn’t get better because he relied on his athleticism wasn’t  honed in on nuance and putting time into his craft.You can see that when he rushes the passer.

The last mentioned has more leadership and if you’ve heard his interview has a driven personality.This is the difference in my eyes. Know one talks about what goes on off the field this kid at 20 is talking like a seasoned vet.

Big game player you have a look at that LSU defense that kid kills it in big games.

7 hours ago, quickzero said:

Also, Vic had a crazy combination of strength and speed; how does Chaisson compare to Vic athletically? I didn't pay attention to the combine at all.

While Beasley did really well in the Combine benchpress (35 reps) he clearly didn't play very strong on the field. Players of a similar size like Von Miller did much worse (21 reps) but are obviously significantly stronger on the field. I don't know how that relates to Chaisson but whatever he did on the bench at the Combine is meaningless. 

3 hours ago, Summerhill said:

While Beasley did really well in the Combine benchpress (35 reps) he clearly didn't play very strong on the field. Players of a similar size like Von Miller did much worse (21 reps) but are obviously significantly stronger on the field. I don't know how that relates to Chaisson but whatever he did on the bench at the Combine is meaningless. 

So is Chaisson physically weaker or stronger than Vic? I'm assuming Chaisson had a bench press lower than 35.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, LightningDawg58 said:

Correct, so what is your point?

I'm just asking questions bro. I want to know more about Chaisson since I haven't been paying attention to the combine or college football players. I'm asking you guys cause you know alot about football and what not. 

Edited by quickzero

11 minutes ago, quickzero said:

I'm just asking questions bro. I want to know more about Chaisson since I haven't been paying attention to the combine or college football players. I'm asking you guys cause you know alot football and what not. 

As far as I can tell he and Vic Beasley are nothing alike. I think the only reason people draw the comparison is because they are both lean edge rushers, with narrow frames who dont produce a ton of sacks.
Like you and others mentioned, Vic Beasley is/was a physical specimen. To me, Chaisson is not. Vic Beasley was a linebacker sized Defensive End who was not really meant to play linebacker. Chaisson is more of how we wanted Campbell to be used A true SLB that can cover a little, set the edge extremely well and rush the passer. Chaisson is being touted as strictly pass rusher by the talking heads, but he doesnt have a ton of sack numbers which has people scared of him.

However,  I think if used properly he can bring a ton of versatility at SLB as an every down LB that can play out in space and on the edge of the defensive line.

6 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Vic’s probably a better athlete than Chaisson.The issue is VB44 didn’t get better because he relied on his athleticism wasn’t  honed in on nuance and putting time into his craft.You can see that when he rushes the passer.

The last mentioned has more leadership and if you’ve heard his interview has a driven personality.This is the difference in my eyes. Know one talks about what goes on off the field this kid at 20 is talking like a seasoned vet.

Big game player you have a look at that LSU defense that kid kills it in big games.

Not disagreeing with you but many on here has stated that Vic didn’t work hard or put the time in to hone his craft. My question to you and others that claim this is - how do you know that to be a fact? 

1 hour ago, Atl Falcon said:

Not disagreeing with you but many on here has stated that Vic didn’t work hard or put the time in to hone his craft. My question to you and others that claim this is - how do you know that to be a fact? 

You can see it in his play Vic was pretty much the same guy when it came to rushing the passer.He always got run rough shod out wide for lack of squaring off a rush and lack of counter.This is what your seeing year after year.

To me right there your seeing a guy whose not concentrating on the details not adding nuance to get better.

I mean I don’t know that he’s not working on his craft I don’t have a definitive statement that says he isn’t but for me it looks like he doesn’t because he hasn’t improved over a given time.

The closer were getting to the draft I'm still thinking Kinlaw but then I look at a possible trade up for Gallimore Blacklock Elliott or Davidson in the top of the second between 32-40 taking Chaisson at 16 use a 4th to trade up

3 hours ago, LightningDawg58 said:

As far as I can tell he and Vic Beasley are nothing alike. I think the only reason people draw the comparison is because they are both lean edge rushers, with narrow frames who dont produce a ton of sacks.
Like you and others mentioned, Vic Beasley is/was a physical specimen. To me, Chaisson is not. Vic Beasley was a linebacker sized Defensive End who was not really meant to play linebacker. Chaisson is more of how we wanted Campbell to be used A true SLB that can cover a little, set the edge extremely well and rush the passer. Chaisson is being touted as strictly pass rusher by the talking heads, but he doesnt have a ton of sack numbers which has people scared of him.

However,  I think if used properly he can bring a ton of versatility at SLB as an every down LB that can play out in space and on the edge of the defensive line.

Yea, I only brought up Vic as comparison because I wasnt sure what role we would use Chaisson in if we got him; thanks for the insight. Would you say Chaisson would be the guy that spies the QB for us?

On 3/22/2020 at 9:30 AM, Draftnut57 said:

OK, I'll tell you why I wouldn't won't to take him.. and probably why TD and Quinn will be the same feeling.. Because you want to draft a player of need that you can't find latter in the Draft. Or a player of need that is that high of Quality of need.. And to me.. That's why I think they'll try to get one of the Big awesome DTs in Round one..  in other positions ,, they are scattered all through the draft...  So for that reason,, i think we go DT and if not,, I think we go DE.. These positions go first and we have to take advantage of getting ours in round one and round two.. IMO needs to be DE and DT..  And hope it's DT first round and DE in the second round.. JMO

You just quoted yourself and once again typed out a bunch of stuff saying what you think will happen with very little why.  It blows my mind how much you type but how little you actually say.

Sacks aren’t everything, but his production, or lack there of, scares me.  What other edge never broke 10 sacks in a season even once In college and went on to be a really good pass rusher?

58 minutes ago, quickzero said:

Yea, I only brought up Vic as comparison because I wasnt sure what role we would use Chaisson in if we got him; thanks for the insight. Would you say Chaisson would be the guy that spies the QB for us?

Youre not the only one though, that has been a very popular comparison. I thought that you were just attempting to use that comparison against him as he is clearly not as strong as Vic.

But he can be a spy for sure. He loves to play around LOS 

I went back and watched more game footage just to make sure I was saying the right thing and I am a little off. LSU lined him up ALOT at DE, on base downs particularly. He is definitely an edge setter despite his size. His best pass rushes came as a wide-9, as a blitzer, or on inside stunts. He is a 2 point stance pass rusher for sure.

When he did play in coverage it wasnt a lot of man, he dropped back in underneath zones, much of how we use our backers (or used to at least). When in man he had the foot speed to run with guys, but he was very handsy. If was never called but it wont fly in the pro's.
His biggest trait both good and bad is that his eyes are always locked on the QB and running backs. He is always reading the backfield keeping backside contain and setting frontside edge on runs. In coverage, his head does not turn away from the line of scrimmage. This to me signals that he will transition a lot easier to being a zone cover guy than a man to man guy. 

At the risk of tipping our hand I think he should always be a pass rusher when we are in man coverage.

Thats about all I have. I love his effort, I love his heart, he is a true leader. He rallies his teammates on the sideline. He shows up in big moments on the field. He doesnt put up huge numbers but he does his job really well.

On 3/22/2020 at 2:55 AM, FalconOdense said:

Hi, 

Us in Europe dont follow College football as much as you do.

i have seen the most mockers have this guy going to the Falcons. He will probably be there and we really miss a outside linebacker,

it doesn’t seem like people are too high on him in here though. So why is that? What are your issues with this guy? And what is his best ability? Who does he compare to?

Most people don’t understand football. It sounds very elitist and nasty, but it’s true. His game isn’t only rushing the passer, but he is a presence. He hits hard, stops the run, and is good in coverage. I would say he has more in common with Von Miller or Bruce Irvin than Vic Beasley. 

Also most have their hearts set on one of the DTs as well. Instead of just saying so, they find ways to demean a player not at that position. So, I’m glad they aren’t talking about this guy.

3 hours ago, GATXBOI said:

The closer were getting to the draft I'm still thinking Kinlaw but then I look at a possible trade up for Gallimore Blacklock Elliott or Davidson in the top of the second between 32-40 taking Chaisson at 16 use a 4th to trade up

Be shocked if CB isn’t taken the top 2 rounds.

Youre not the only one though, that has been a very popular comparison. I thought that you were just attempting to use that comparison against him as he is clearly not as strong as Vic.

I went back and watched more game footage just to make sure I was saying the right thing and I am a little off. LSU lined him up ALOT at DE, on base downs particularly. He is definitely an edge setter despite his size. His best pass rushes came as a wide-9, as a blitzer, or on inside stunts. He is a 2 point stance pass rusher for sure.

When he did play in coverage it wasnt a lot of man, he dropped back in underneath zones, much of how we use our backers (or used to at least). When in man he had the foot speed to run with guys, but he was very handsy. If was never called but it wont fly in the pro's.
His biggest trait both good and bad is that his eyes are always locked on the QB and running backs. He is always reading the backfield keeping backside contain and setting frontside edge on runs. In coverage, his head does not turn away from the line of scrimmage. This to me signals that he will transition a lot easier to being a zone cover guy than a man to man guy. 

At the risk of tipping our hand I think he should always be a pass rusher when we are in man coverage.

Thats about all I have. I love his effort, I love his heart, he is a true leader. He rallies his teammates on the sideline. He shows up in big moments on the field. He doesnt put up huge numbers but he does his job really well.

Chaisson sounds like an intriguing player and I hope we are able to draft him at 16. Just one more question; in your opinion do think Chaisson makes our pass rush legit?

6 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

You can see it in his play Vic was pretty much the same guy when it came to rushing the passer.He always got run rough shod out wide for lack of squaring off a rush and lack of counter.This is what your seeing year after year.

To me right there your seeing a guy whose not concentrating on the details not adding nuance to get better.

I mean I don’t know that he’s not working on his craft I don’t have a definitive statement that says he isn’t but for me it looks like he doesn’t because he hasn’t improved over a given time.

Exactly.  Whether Vic put in a  lot of time practicing is immaterial.  He did not evolve with time.  What ever he did off the field did not improve what he did on the field.  Though I don't know the man, his play appeared uninspired and superficial.  

Chaisson appears to be a guy that will put football at the top of his priorities.  Whether that will translate into a better player than Vic is something we will have to see.  

If Kinlaw and Simmons are off the board by the time we pick, I think Chaisson just might be the wisest choice.

Well said. 

5 hours ago, Rings said:

Sacks aren’t everything, but his production, or lack there of, scares me.  What other edge never broke 10 sacks in a season even once In college and went on to be a really good pass rusher?

Ever heard of J.J. Watt? see also clay Matthews. 

Michael Bennett wasn’t on anyone’s radar  in college.

Chaisson is basically a redshirt soph who missed a season due to injury. The reason he’s so intriguing is because of his versatility as a player. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, quickzero said:

Chaisson sounds like an intriguing player and I hope we are able to draft him at 16. Just one more question; in your opinion do think Chaisson makes our pass rush legit?

Short answer yes. 

Long answer: Not by himself, he isnt the answer to all of our woes, he isnt a savior, I wouldnt predict him to put up double digit sacks. But to have another guy who is capable of getting to the QB and has elite athletic traits doesnt hurt at all. Just like with Fowler. Adding him by himself doesnt all of a sudden make the pass rush legit.

The only player with that kind of talent in this draft is Chase Young apparently. And maybe Kinlaw from an interior rush perspective (I havent done any homework on Kinlaw, this is just what folks on here are saying

Imagine if we drafted Simmons, it would be a similar fit. Yes, he would rush the passer and play on the LOS, but you're also going to use him in a number of other ways too so youre not expecting him to just fix the pass rush, but to help it.

I really liked what I saw from Chaisson out in open space. He covers a lot of ground and makes plays, especially out in the flats. I think besides playing safety, he and Simmons are both similarly versatile players in that regards. I wouldnt make him a full time pass rusher, which in turn would limit his impact opportunities.

Edited by LightningDawg58

8 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Honestly I’ve always wonder myself - is he lazy unmotivated or just can’t do it. You know some guys work their tail off but never improve much. Vics pretty much been accused of all the above - I’d like to ask DQ or a teammate the same question and get a true answer. Supposedly DQ worked his butt off last season and nothing really changed. Some got it some aint not sure Vic will ever meet the high expectations from the fans in Atl. But I wish him the best

Just now, Atl Falcon said:

Honestly I’ve always wondered  myself - is he lazy unmotivated or just can’t do it? You know some guys work their tail off but never improve much. Vics pretty much has been accused of all the above - I’d like to ask DQ or a teammate the same question and get a honest answer. Supposedly DQ worked VBs butt off last season and nothing really changed. Some got it some aint not sure Vic will ever meet the high expectations from the fans in Atl. But I wish him the best