Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FalconOdense

K'Lavon Chaisson

58 posts in this topic

Hi, 

Us in Europe dont follow College football as much as you do.

i have seen the most mockers have this guy going to the Falcons. He will probably be there and we really miss a outside linebacker,

it doesn’t seem like people are too high on him in here though. So why is that? What are your issues with this guy? And what is his best ability? Who does he compare to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His big bugger bears are production and injury.

The real navel grazers will see similar size to VicBeasley and will clone Chaisson like that.

Outside of that in all the big games for LSU this year Chaisson was on point..Hes a natural born leader is a multiple tool type of player stand up hand in the dirt lose nothing in coverage.

Hes a chess piece one of very few in the draft.

Isaiah Simmons being the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

His big bugger bears are production and injury.

The real navel grazers will see similar size to VicBeasley and will clone Chaisson like that.

Outside of that in all the big games for LSU this year Chaisson was on point..Hes a natural born leader is a multiple tool type of player stand up hand in the dirt lose nothing in coverage.

Hes a chess piece one of very few in the draft.

Isaiah Simmons being the other.

So would you consider him a gamewrecker? Thats seems to be what we are looking for in the draft.

what is his best position?

4-3 End, 4-3 OLB or 3-4 OLB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious if people will see him as a Devondre Campbell replacement or if he will primarily line up with his hand in the dirt. If he primarily plays SLB with pass-rushing on 3rd downs it may work out, otherwise we have bigger holes to fill after we signed Fowler.

rudy and oztin like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, FalconOdense said:

So would you consider him a gamewrecker? Thats seems to be what we are looking for in the draft.

what is his best position?

4-3 End, 4-3 OLB or 3-4 OLB?

I see him as a stand up DE/LEO type who can be dropped into coverage.

Potentially he’s all you have mentioned dependent on what defense a team runs.

Game wrecker is subjective I don’t think there’s a **** of a lot of them in any draft.Again like any player it will depend on development if your expecting it out of the gate no I don’t see that.

m2Falcons likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Romfal said:

I'm curious if people will see him as a Devondre Campbell replacement or if he will primarily line up with his hand in the dirt. If he primarily plays SLB with pass-rushing on 3rd downs it may work out, otherwise we have bigger holes to fill after we signed Fowler.

I think he's a good player with a lot of upside but I think he's only worth a 16 pick if you see him as a 3-down Edge.  I think there are better prospects if you're looking to replace the Campbell.  I'd go with Murray or Baun for that role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

I think he's a good player with a lot of upside but I think he's only worth a 16 pick if you see him as a 3-down Edge.  I think there are better prospects if you're looking to replace the Campbell.  I'd go with Murray or Baun for that role.

I don't think either of those guys are better for Campbell's role than chaisson. I could possibly see if you wanted to go corner in round 1 and then go baun in round 2 if he's there, but neither baun or Murray are likely to be there in round 2 and with this being a pretty weak lb class we need to pull the trigger at 16 or we might miss out on one completely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I don't think either of those guys are better for Campbell's role than chaisson. I could possibly see if you wanted to go corner in round 1 and then go baun in round 2 if he's there, but neither baun or Murray are likely to be there in round 2 and with this being a pretty weak lb class we need to pull the trigger at 16 or we might miss out on one completely.

I think people are sleeping on Davion Taylor and Akeem Davis Gaither. I believe they can replace Campbell. They both played all over the field on their teams and can probably be gotten in the 3rd. IMO if you like Queen then you will like Taylor. Similar players but can probably get Taylor with a 3rd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

25 minutes ago, ike barn87987 said:

I think people are sleeping on Davion Taylor and Akeem Davis Gaither. I believe they can replace Campbell. They both played all over the field on their teams and can probably be gotten in the 3rd. IMO if you like Queen then you will like Taylor. Similar players but can probably get Taylor with a 3rd.

I think Quinn wants a bigger LB at SAM then someone like Taylor or ADG to replace Campbell. I like Malik Harrison from OSU & he could be there in the 2nd.

Edited by falconsfan4life3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ike barn87987 said:

I think people are sleeping on Davion Taylor and Akeem Davis Gaither. I believe they can replace Campbell. They both played all over the field on their teams and can probably be gotten in the 3rd. IMO if you like Queen then you will like Taylor. Similar players but can probably get Taylor with a 3rd.

Gaither is way too small in the britches to replace Campbell. The dude isn't even 220. I like him as a player and wouldn't mind him in the 4th, but he's more of a will backer than a Sam. He will get ate alive trying to set edges in the running game. I admittedly don't know much about Taylor tho.

Cole World likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Gaither is way too small in the britches to replace Campbell. The dude isn't even 220. I like him as a player and wouldn't mind him in the 4th, but he's more of a will backer than a Sam. He will get ate alive trying to set edges in the running game. I admittedly don't know much about Taylor tho.

ADG is 224 and Campbell is 232. Deion Jones is 220ish and has held his own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ike barn87987 said:

ADG is 224 and Campbell is 232. Deion Jones is 220ish and has held his own.

Campbell was 232 his rookie year. It's safe to say he's added a bit of weight since then. Deion is in the middle. He isn't responsible for setting an edge in the run game. The knock on adg is his play strength. He will get pushed around badly in Campbell's role...he also doesn't have the length Campbell or chaisson does to cover bigger tes.

Cole World likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

41 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Campbell was 232 his rookie year. It's safe to say he's added a bit of weight since then. Deion is in the middle. He isn't responsible for setting an edge in the run game. The knock on adg is his play strength. He will get pushed around badly in Campbell's role...he also doesn't have the length Campbell or chaisson does to cover bigger tes.

I think you need to check again on the weight part. But regardless of that I think ADG can handle the role. We can disagree but it’s all good.

https://www.nfl.com/videos?id=10103061-7033-0000-0110-2437b332dbe4&campaign=tw-share

 

 

 

 

Edited by ike barn87987

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I don't think either of those guys are better for Campbell's role than chaisson. I could possibly see if you wanted to go corner in round 1 and then go baun in round 2 if he's there, but neither baun or Murray are likely to be there in round 2 and with this being a pretty weak lb class we need to pull the trigger at 16 or we might miss out on one completely.

Maybe you're right...I won't argue how anyone else sees it.   My board does not match the big boards and I got higher grades on some guys than collective opinion. I wouldn't be upset if we still got him at 16, just less need for it right now.  I also don't really believe a pick is a reach if you get the player you want.  Heck Keke and Debo seemed like reaches but they were good fits.   Here's my eval:

  • Production: It's easier to see that with Baun and Murray.   With KLC, you gotta project more as he only really had one year of production.  He was not amazing from a pass rushing perspective.  Production is why Epenessa remains high on my board.
  • Environment:   LSU was blowing out a lot of teams in 2019 making teams 1d often.  I also look at the talent around those guys and KLC had more around him than a lot of the other guys.  That last one is the reason why I have Kinlaw above Brown...way more talent at Auburn than Carolina.
  • Fits, Usage and value:  A week ago, I was in favor of KLC at 16 if Kinlaw was gone.  With Fowler signed, we would get better value pursuing a more cover-oriented LB who can rush (assuming Kinlaw gone).  Not saying KLC couldn't replace Campbell but just not the role I imagined him taking a week ago.
  • Athleticism:  I love it and Chaisson appears to have plenty of it on film and why it's not hard to "project" him being better than he is now.  Only issue is that it's always potential and a player can be like Vic and never really convert it to consistent play-making on the field.
  • Red Flags:  Some have pointed to his injury history but I'm unconcerned based on what I saw in 2019. 
kiwifalcon and m2Falcons like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FalconOdense said:

Hi, 

Us in Europe dont follow College football as much as you do.

i have seen the most mockers have this guy going to the Falcons. He will probably be there and we really miss a outside linebacker,

it doesn’t seem like people are too high on him in here though. So why is that? What are your issues with this guy? And what is his best ability? Who does he compare to?

OK, I'll tell you why I wouldn't won't to take him.. and probably why TD and Quinn will be the same feeling.. Because you want to draft a player of need that you can't find latter in the Draft. Or a player of need that is that high of Quality of need.. And to me.. That's why I think they'll try to get one of the Big awesome DTs in Round one..  in other positions ,, they are scattered all through the draft...  So for that reason,, i think we go DT and if not,, I think we go DE.. These positions go first and we have to take advantage of getting ours in round one and round two.. IMO needs to be DE and DT..  And hope it's DT first round and DE in the second round.. JMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

OK, I'll tell you why I wouldn't won't to take him.. and probably why TD and Quinn will be the same feeling.. Because you want to draft a player of need that you can't find latter in the Draft. Or a player of need that is that high of Quality of need.. And to me.. That's why I think they'll try to get one of the Big awesome DTs in Round one..  in other positions ,, they are scattered all through the draft...  So for that reason,, i think we go DT and if not,, I think we go DE.. These positions go first and we have to take advantage of getting ours in round one and round two.. IMO needs to be DE and DT..  And hope it's DT first round and DE in the second round.. JMO   If we will go this route ,, I think our sack productions would triple for the year. That would do more for this team than any other moves we could make on this team.  So there you have IMO.  :tiphat:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Campbell was 232 his rookie year. It's safe to say he's added a bit of weight since then. Deion is in the middle. He isn't responsible for setting an edge in the run game. The knock on adg is his play strength. He will get pushed around badly in Campbell's role...he also doesn't have the length Campbell or chaisson does to cover bigger tes.

He did he was playing in the 240 range.

Edited by Cole World

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude is an incredible athlete who has very little experience & his potential is sky high!  

The only drawback is some production issues & the fact that he missed all of 2018 & two games of 2019.

But given the fact that he did miss that much time, it begs the question just how much more awesome could this guy have gotten had he had those games to grow as well??!!

Player Summary - K'Lavon Chaisson is a dynamic threat off the edge — he possesses elite versatility, explosiveness and a prototypical build to play a hybrid EDGE. Chaisson is still developing as a pass rusher but his effectiveness in speed rushes and inside stunts will afford him a pathway to early disruption. Chaisson is a high end run defender with length and heavy hands — a true natural in that regard. The sky is the limit. Chaisson, with more rush versatility, can be a cornerstone defender.  

Overview
Possessing an impressive diversity of moldable pass-rushing ingredients and moves, Chaisson has begun putting the recipe together to become a game-altering pass rusher. While some long-limbed rushers lack the bend and leverage to maximize their length, his fluidity and agility allow him to dip, corner, change direction and close in tight quarters or with extended range. He's not a physical run defender and might be a liability early in his career against power. Chaisson's stock has gained momentum with his surging performance matching the elite athletic qualities. It adds up to an increasingly confident projection as an impact pass-rusher with Pro-Bowl potential.
 

Bottom Line

K’Lavon Chaisson is going to be a top player selected in the NFL Draft. Disregard the sack numbers, the production will come at the next level once he works on his technique. Very reminiscent of another LSU defender in Danielle Hunter.

Summary: Chaisson is a super explosive EDGE rusher who can play as a stand up outside line backer or with his hand in the ground as a more traditional EDGE rusher. After suffering multiple injuries during his time at LSU, 2019 has seen Chaisson back up the claims made by the LSU coaching staff, that he is possibly the most talented EDGE rusher they’ve seen at the programme. An incredible athlete, with an unbelievable get-off and elite bend and length, Chaisson had previously earned the label of a “project” player. Whilst he still needs some refinement and development to his game, I believe Chaisson has displayed a more diverse pass rush move arsenal and continually improving technique this season, making for a reasonable prospective floor as well as an incredibly high ceiling. Being given the honour of wearing the no.18 jersey at LSU is a testament to his leadership, work ethic and character on the field, K’Lavon Chaisson is a player I certainly wouldn’t bet against having a good NFL career.

 

Cole World and kiwifalcon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

KLavon Chaisson ER/OLB LSU

 

STRENGTHS
KLavon has the size and length teams look for in an edge rusher. He has good athletic talent and does a solid job rushing the passer. KLavon has those long arms that can be considered weapons when rushing the passer or in coverage. He is a quick-twitch athlete who can change direction quickly and cover ground quickly because of his long legs. He comes off the line of scrimmage at a good pad level for a tall player, allowing him to gain an advantage on players bigger than he is. He has the athletic talent to play in your front seven at multiple positions in any style of defense on, or off the line of scrimmage. KLavon should help the team that selects him on passing downs on or off the line, rushing the passer or in coverage situations.

CONCERNS
I was very surprised to find out that KLavon was 6’4” 250lbs. On film, he plays much smaller and looks more like a free safety playing the wrong position up near the line and in the box. He’s a sloppy tackler and struggles to finish his pass rush against less talented offensive lineman. He gives excellent effort on every play but his lower and upper body strength is not where it should be at this point in his career. KLavon football IQ and instincts are not up to the level of his athletic talent also. He has slim hips and small shoulders and because of his sloppy tackling not being able to bulk up might concern teams because of injury issues at the next level. He did have knee surgery and might not be all the way back from that injury that caused him, a full year of playing time.

BOTTOM LINE 3.78
KLavon reminds me of Barkevious Mingo. I felt Barkevious was a specialty player and I feel that KLavon is very much like him and a specialty player also. KLavon has the athletic talent to be a starter on defense but will likely not start because of his inability to tackle securely, and lack of instincts. KLavon could be the type of athlete that can overcome his lack of bulk, like Hall of Fame and former Dolphins ER/LB Jason Taylor, but with what I see on film right now, if KLavon becomes that type of player it will take some time and a lot of hard work. That being said, there is nothing that will stop him except time and hard work and maybe KLavon will overcome his weaknesses. It has happened before but for me, in this draft, all I can see is a specialty player and I would let other teams do all the work and wait for his first contract to be up. But that’s just me.

Draftnut57 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Im sold. I just decided to finally look in to this guy after seeing his name constantly thrown around.

Other than Simmons, who wont be there, I want this kid at our pick. Got to have him.

His mental makeup, leadership, effort, communication skills, and attitude are all the signs of a leader and star. 

He has the physical tools. He has the game, albeit with a few holes. However, he also has played the least amount of football than a lot of his peers. He is far from his ceiling as a player. But he shows the drive and willingness to get better.

When asked how he felt after winning the National Championship he said, "It was a long season, but I felt like we had more work to do, the defense did not play as well as I wanted and we had not reached our peak yet"

Are you kidding me? At 20 years old? That's your mindset after being undefeated and dominating college football.

I can see why people are afraid of him, and see Vic Beasley when they look at his frame, but I can assure you this kid has way more heart and character in him. He is relentless and has constant effort. Never gives up on the play. Those are things you need but cant teach.

Also he is a student. An all-22 breakdown shows him setting up OT's with different hand motions to get them to react to him. Very crafty for a young kid. 
 

 

He is hungry and is exactly the kind of leader we need on defense. This isnt just about sack numbers, kid is football player.

I would love to use him as our base SLB and as a situational rusher in sub packages.

Edited by LightningDawg58

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@LightningDawg58 thee off field stuff is priceless and the mental makeup is 2 things very few talk about.Off field sets the table for what you are on it.

We have discussions about best WRer in the game Julio v everyone else namely OBJ and AB it’s not on the field that separates the best from the rest it’s dedication to your craft and what you do off it that sets the table for whose the better player.

I see this in Chaisson I see a guy who’ll knock down anything in his way to improve.He’s not the sought of guy that’s going to do dumb off season crap or get on social media and make a muppets of himself during the off season.I bet this guy grinds to get better.

Hence why I’m a Chaisson fan and I’m glad you put that interview with Florio up because Chaisson’s a high character guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

@LightningDawg58 thee off field stuff is priceless and the mental makeup is 2 things very few talk about.Off field sets the table for what you are on it.

We have discussions about best WRer in the game Julio v everyone else namely OBJ and AB it’s not on the field that separates the best from the rest it’s dedication to your craft and what you do off it that sets the table for whose the better player.

I see this in Chaisson I see a guy who’ll knock down anything in his way to improve.He’s not the sought of guy that’s going to do dumb off season crap or get on social media and make a muppets of himself during the off season.I bet this guy grinds to get better.

Hence why I’m a Chaisson fan and I’m glad you put that interview with Florio up because Chaisson’s a high character guy.

I agree wholeheartedly. Its also very hard to learn these things about these guys ahead of time as fans so we tend to get caught up in the Madden stuff, numbers, height, etc.... but what really makes all that stuff go is whats between the ears and whats inside your heart. 
Fast guys play slow when they cant think fast enough (Duke Riley) Physical freaks dont produce when there isnt consistent effort (Vic) and talented players are irrelevant if they cant stay on the field (Jalen Collins)

In 5 seconds I could tell this kid was built different. He showed maturity not just in his speech but in his perspective. He gets it. That lightbulb is on for him. 

He reminds me of Kazee, Allen and Sanu a lot. When you hear them talk you know they mean it, they are passionate, and they are very aware of whats going on around them. These guys all got to where there were by work ethic, professionalism and never making excuses. They were not as talented as their peers but they managed to outwork and outlast them.

This kid IS that talented, and has all of the same intangibles as those other guys. If he didnt have the game to back it up I would not be high on him. He isnt your old fashioned Mike Smith boy-scout team captain prospect. Character aside, he can still ball. He can run and hit, and he passes the C-T scale. Everything else is a bonus. He will not bust. He will be a leader on someone's defense very soon. 

quickzero, m2Falcons and kiwifalcon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not on the Chaisson train, sorry.  I'd grab the best DL or LB (Maybe CB if for some chance either of the top two are there) available in the first round at #16 but if Chaisson is the highest one there at that pick, then so be it but I'm kind of hoping we can land Kinlaw and put him on the DL next to Grady.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0