Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NWFALCON

The curious case of Senat

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I’ve been wondering what the deal is with Senat not playing last year. I’m sure every other Falcon fan has wondered the same thing. So, since it was slow at work and Gamepass is free, I decided to take a look at a few 2018 and 2019 plays. Disclaimer my sample size was small because I was at work. 
 

To start, let’s look at some measurables. 
 

Senat 6 foot 314                        Bailey 6’3 285
- Arms 31.625                              34

- 40 yd 5.16                                  4.77

- Broad Jump 100                        117

- 3 Cone - 7.77                             7.43

- Vertical 26                                  36.5

Davison 6’2 316                    Cominsky 6’5 286

Arms     34                                   33.5

40         5.18                                 4.69

Broad Jump 105                           116

3 Cone  7.53                                 7.03

Vertical  33                                    33.5

Tuioti Mariner 6’2 265(285 now)

Arms 31.88

40  4.88

Broad Jump  110

3 cone N/A

Vertical 29                                                                 

So as you can see Senat is the least athletic and shows the least Arm length amongst the group. 
 

In 2018, Senat got some good snaps because McClain sucked and he took full advantage and looked good.  Senat rolled around 3T and played NT as well. But then the front office brought in Cominsky, Bailey, Davison, and JTM got a shot.

Bailey has been playing DT in the 5-2 and base end in the 4-3.  JTM has been playing the same positions. Cominsky rotated inside but most of his snaps were on the edge. Then Davison is our NT.  Those are the spots where Senat would’ve been playing, yet they brought in other guys and gave them reps.

Part of me wants to believe that the looming departure of Crawford would allow Senat to step in and take those 3T snaps during passing situations, but I just don’t know. When Crawford was out, JTM or Davison were in on those passing downs.

A lot of the mocks right now have us grabbing a DT. If we grab an AJ (almost identical measureables as Arik Armstead) then I think that allows us to release Bailey. If we get a Kinlaw or Gallimore then I think the writing may be on the wall for Senat since Cominsky and JTM did nothing but improve.

I like what I saw from Senat but something is holding him back and if we keep bringing in DT’s he is only going to get pushed further back in the back burner.  
 

I would like for him to get a chance like everyone else, but the tape shows either an injury or a complete lack of trust or scheme fit.  This carried over from DQ to Raheem on defense.

 

Ps. Unrelated but the gap discipline last season was terrible. Our DTs and Edges were running into each other all of the time which left gaps open for the QB to run up the middle or out on the edge. Frustrating to watch. 

Edited by NWFALCON

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NWFALCON said:

I’ve been wondering what the deal is with Senat not playing last year. I’m sure every other Falcon fan has wondered the same thing. So, since it was slow at work and Gamepass is free, I decided to take a look at a few 2018 and 2019 plays. Disclaimer my sample size was small because I was at work. 
 

To start, let’s look at some measurables. 
 

Senat 6 foot 314                        Bailey 6’3 285
- Arms 31.625                              34

- 40 yd 5.16                                  4.77

- Broad Jump 100                        117

- 3 Cone - 7.77                             7.43

- Vertical 26                                  36.5

Davison 6’2 316                    Cominsky 6’5 286

Arms     34                                   33.5

40         5.18                                 4.69

Broad Jump 105                           116

3 Cone  7.53                                 7.03

Vertical  33                                    33.5

Tuioti Mariner 6’2 265(285 now)

Arms 31.88

40  4.88

Broad Jump  110

3 cone N/A

Vertical 29                                                                 

So as you can see Senat is the least athletic and shows the least Arm length amongst the group. 

Just curious what's gradys arm length and 3 cone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

the messed up thing is whenever I've seen him get playing time he was very disruptive. maybe he has a bad attitude or something

Exactly . Regardless of what one thinks he was productive in limited snaps .. last year is Asmaoah like or however you spell it . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Senat was a reach when we draft him but we saw the potential. Idk whats going with him but he seems like a good backup for Davison to me. Only problem is we signed Davison to a 3 year deal so he may not see much playing time unless Davison gets injured. I know we like to rotate DLineman but still. 

But hes only in year 2, give the guy some time. He had a rough up bringing and might have focused on making his family's situation better more than his job, just speculation, no accusation and cant blame him for putting them first if so.

Hopefully he makes a jump this year but if not hes cheap and maybe gets better heading into next year. If not, cut him and move on. Wont lose sleep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We NEED Senat to work out. We cannot afford to keep burning 2nd and 3rd round picks on trades or players who dont materialize in to starters, or contributors.

In the last 10 drafts (decade) we've had only (6) 2nd picks and  (9) 3rd round picks. We used those on the following:

2019: none

2018: Oliver, Senat

2017: Duke Riley (3rd)

2016: Jones, Hooper

2015: Collins, Coleman

2014: Hageman, Dezmen Southward

2013: Robert Alford (2nd)

2012: Peter Konz, Lamar Holmes

2011: Akeem Dent (3rd)

2010: Corey Peters, Mike Johnson (both 3rd)

Between trading them, and performance, we have not gotten a lot out f the picks widely considered to be vital to building a team. Weve gotten way too cute with those. The only guys who have lived up to their draft position, we ended up letting go. If Senat doesnt pan out it really just adds to our woes in the early half of the draft

Edited by LightningDawg58

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LightningDawg58 said:Between trading them, and performance, we have not gotten a lot out f the picks widely considered to be vital to building a team. Weve gotten way too cute with those. The only guys who have lived up to their draft position, we ended up letting go. If Senat doesnt pan out it really just adds to our woes in the early half of the draft

Yes and no. If he walks that mean we have churned Ufa and draft picks and the best has gotten the job. But it sucks to have used a 3rd on him and he is just sitting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, LightningDawg58 said:

We NEED Senat to work out. We cannot afford to keep burning 2nd and 3rd round picks on trades or players who dont materialize in to starters, or contributors.

In the last 10 drafts (decade) we've had only (6) 2nd picks and  (9) 3rd round picks. We used those on the following:

2019: none

2018: Oliver, Senat

2017: Duke Riley (3rd)

2016: Jones, Hooper

2015: Collins, Coleman

2014: Hageman, Dezmen Southward

2013: Robert Alford (2nd)

2012: Peter Konz, Lamar Holmes

2011: Akeem Dent (3rd)

2010: Corey Peters, Mike Johnson (both 3rd)

Between trading them, and performance, we have not gotten a lot out f the picks widely considered to be vital to building a team. Weve gotten way too cute with those. The only guys who have lived up to their draft position, we ended up letting go. If Senat doesnt pan out it really just adds to our woes in the early half of the draft

One thing you gotta give Dan Quinn is he knows how to scout Talent. Senat may not pan out but he is decent depth if Grady gets hurt. Looks like we are straight with Grady and Davison as the starters, and probably Mctelvin Agim as the other DT we bring in via the draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FalconAge said:

I didn't understand the Senat pick to begin with.

An undersized Nose Tackle was a bizarre use of valuable draft capital.

I agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To say Senat is the least athletic of DL based on measurables is the understatement of offseason.  Couple of predictions

He probably is gonna get the Harlow player development plan and be practice squad back up

Board fandom approaches Massaquoi level

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

To say Senat is the least athletic of DL based on measurables is the understatement of offseason.  Couple of predictions

He probably is gonna get the Harlow player development plan and be practice squad back up

Board fandom approaches Massaquoi level

What do you mean by understatement of the offseason? That statement can go either way haha 

He shows good burst on film but I only watched maybe 3 games and they were only of plays where he had a tackle or assist, not full game film. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, raysnill1 said:

the messed up thing is whenever I've seen him get playing time he was very disruptive. maybe he has a bad attitude or something

Quinn cannot develop or assess talent.

 He cannot recognize talent on the field, or amongst his coaching staff.

Quinn brings nothing useful to the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cole World said:

Because they don’t fit our scheme

Larger guys NEVER seem to fit our scheme no matter who our head coach or DC is. And yet we ALWAYS have the same issues sacking QB's and not being able to collapse the pocket. If your "scheme" can't adjust to accommodate larger guys on the DL that can collapse the pocket and take up double teams then your "scheme" sucks. 

Just for once it would be nice to try out what having Large and powerful OL's and DL's could bring to the team. Why do we keep trying the same thing over and over again and expect different results?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

Quinn cannot develop or assess talent.

 He cannot recognize talent on the field, or amongst his coaching staff.

Quinn brings nothing useful to the table.

the willful ignorance on these boards is truly incredible sometimes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
  • Create New...