• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
D.B.N.

FO is swinging for the fences

9 hours ago, *TMo* said:

Swing away guys, swing away.

I hope they catch a fast ball on the fat part of the bat otherwise it’s going to be a swinging strike out. Fowler the question mark to me. I’m not 100% sold on him. We’ll see if TD can add the final pieces to the puzzle. 

10 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

I think the FO have been doing what they do since the SB but for one reason or another things just haven’t gone to plan.Variables like injury and coaching among others have played there parts.

I think they’ve sat down weighed up there surrounding and are just executing a plan.

It all comes to naught if coaches can’t use the talent presented to them.

Nah, we just finally went madden mode. Now let's trade all kinda of pics to get multiple firsts and bring it home Lmao 

4 hours ago, West Sider said:

Last year was hardly “swinging for the fences”? Not even remotely close.  In fact I was thoroughly disappointed with our offseason last year outside of the draft. 

Sure they did.  They put a lot of money in shoring up the OL.  They made poor choices, but they concentrated on the OL and swung hard.  

You can say that they should have signed one great FA OL instead of two average ones, but that does not mean that they didn't go full throttle.  

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Sure they did.  They put a lot of money in shoring up the OL.  They made poor choices, but they concentrated on the OL and swung hard.  

You can say that they should have signed one great FA OL instead of two average ones, but that does not mean that they didn't go full throttle.  

Sorry man I can’t for the life of me understand how you can say they swung for the fences last offseason. Because they simply did not. 

Edited by West Sider

14 hours ago, D.B.N. said:

I am definitely loving these moves so far. Trimming the fat (trufant, Freeman, beasley, etc) and bringing in Fowler and Gurley. Fowler won’t solve our pass rush woes alone but we can’t say TD isn’t trying anymore.  Same with Gurley- love the signing as it is low risk high reward. At this point this offseason has been very solid imo and I applaud TD and co for making hard decisions and swinging for the fences on these signings.  We can’t say he isn’t trying. At this point, I could see us moving up in the draft for Okudah, Brown, or Simmons and quite frankly I wouldn’t be upset about that. Solid job FO, solid job. Looking forward to this year! 

When could we ever say he wasn't trying to solve our pass rush issues? Signed Ray Edwards, signed Osi, took pass rushers in the first round in 2 out of 3 drafts. He's been trying. Which is more frustrating lol 

7 hours ago, etherdome said:

Agree wholeheartedly.  The FO swung for the fences last year.  The signings of Brown and Carpenter were thought to have solved the OL once and for all.  

Swinging for the fences can render great things, but it can also make you look foolish.

Yep I still ask myself outside of injury were the players put into best position to succeed.Straight dropping Ryan asking them to stand up in pass pro without an effectively called run game are other variables that aren’t really talked about much.McGarry the rook got exposed mightily because of it.We need to have a lot more variation in how we use Ryan and get a run game going this year.

They got big backs especially a Tod Gurley who could really expose teams running outside zone we’ll have to see though.

2 hours ago, West Sider said:

Sorry man I can’t for the life of me understand how you can say they swung for the fences last offseason. Because they simply did not. 

Really Extended Matt Ryan and Julio Jones,Resigned Debo and Jarrett.

Signed Bailey Brown Carpenter amongst others.

Then went full court press in the 1st round with Lindstrom and McGarry.

Swung for the fence good lord they went over and past it.

Now this year even in cap **** apparently they’ve gone and got Fowler Hurst Means and Gurley to shore up the holes because of last years lock down of there core but they haven’t swung for the fences lol are we on the same bat channel here because I think that’s thee only thing the Falcons FO have done the last 2 off seasons.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Really Extended Matt Ryan and Julio Jones,Resigned Debo and Jarrett.

Signed Bailey Brown Carpenter amongst others.

Then went full court press in the 1st round with Lindstrom and McGarry.

Swung for the fence good lord they went over and past it.

Now this year even in cap **** apparently they’ve gone and got Fowler Hurst Means and Gurley to shore up the holes because of last years lock down of there core but they haven’t swung for the fences lol are we on the same bat channel here because I think that’s thee only thing the Falcons FO have done the last 2 off seasons.

Absolutely do not call re-signing our own players “swinging for the fence” they were already on the roster. Trading up for a rookie OT late in the first? Again, hardly qualifies. And signing two journeymen OG’s to modest contacts? No one EVER viewed that as a splash. 

we just see this very differently. Let’s just hope that all of these moves combined helps us over the line in 2020. Along with the draft, of course 

Edited by West Sider

Just now, West Sider said:

Absolutely do not call re-signing our own players “swinging for the fence” they were already on the roster. Trading up for a rookie OT late in the first? Again, hardly qualifies. And signing two journeymen OG’s to modest contacts? No one EVER viewed that as a splash. 

we just see this very differently. Let’s just hope that all of these moves combined helps us over the line in 2020. Along with the draft, of course 

How do you figure that.

You saying letting these players walk leaves the team in a better place?

They swung for the fences alright all were signed for top tier dollars at the time.

If there locking up there drafted developed and chosen core guys for the above what do you expect out of FAs ?You can’t have it both ways.

They went all in Oline last off season FA mid tier guys and draft early how exactly is that not swinging for the fence to fix a perceived weakness.

Just now, kiwifalcon said:

How do you figure that.

You saying letting these players walk leaves the team in a better place?

They swung for the fences alright all were signed for top tier dollars at the time.

If there locking up there drafted developed and chosen core guys for the above what do you expect out of FAs ?You can’t have it both ways.

They went all in Oline last off season FA mid tier guys and draft early how exactly is that not swinging for the fence to fix a perceived weakness.

Agree to disagree my man. But at least we’re both hoping for the same result in the end. 

I’d suggest every team in the league swings for the fence to get better if they don’t your being left behind.I’d have thought clear as day that’s what off seasons are all about getting better.

17 hours ago, AxManBigFan said:

I absolutely love the  offseason so far. We are a far better team today then week 17 of last year. Hayden is not proven but I believe is already better then Hooper, he just needed a chance to show it. Fowler will hopefully take pressure off Grady and allow Takk to play better as well. We need some help at LB CB SS and LG. But I think we can shore it up enough to have a good solid team if coached properly in 2020. I think Oliver will ball out this year, Take advantage of those long arms. Hopefully Rico is in the slot so kazee can take over the FS spot. That dude is a pick king, just not an amazing cover guy. So I’m pretty exited for this team. Hats off to Rich McCay, TD and DQ. 

Don’t discount Neal - when he is on the field our defence is lights out better. He is a difference maker. I know he’s had injury issues (I get it) but if he gets back we are set at Safety with Neal, Rico and Kazee. 

1 hour ago, primetime said:

Don’t discount Neal - when he is on the field our defence is lights out better. He is a difference maker. I know he’s had injury issues (I get it) but if he gets back we are set at Safety with Neal, Rico and Kazee. 

Man U don’t have to tell me nothin. Neal is my favorite player on the team. And the dude is brings it. I am a huge fan of Neal and supporter. I don’t mention him often because all people do is whine he is out and still on the team. He is a core player on this team and hopefully will be there for the next 7-8 years

The question is how will this affect the draft?  Got a feeling we moving up to get Simmons and we're willing to give up a lot.