Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
D.B.N.

FO is swinging for the fences

I am definitely loving these moves so far. Trimming the fat (trufant, Freeman, beasley, etc) and bringing in Fowler and Gurley. Fowler won’t solve our pass rush woes alone but we can’t say TD isn’t trying anymore.  Same with Gurley- love the signing as it is low risk high reward. At this point this offseason has been very solid imo and I applaud TD and co for making hard decisions and swinging for the fences on these signings.  We can’t say he isn’t trying. At this point, I could see us moving up in the draft for Okudah, Brown, or Simmons and quite frankly I wouldn’t be upset about that. Solid job FO, solid job. Looking forward to this year! 

I think the FO have been doing what they do since the SB but for one reason or another things just haven’t gone to plan.Variables like injury and coaching among others have played there parts.

I think they’ve sat down weighed up there surrounding and are just executing a plan.

It all comes to naught if coaches can’t use the talent presented to them.

Yep, looks like they're going for broke!!!  And, we may be, when they get through!  LOL!  Maybe they're thinking, if we don't have a winning season and make the Playoffs, we gone anyway, so who cares what kind of shape we leave this team in ---  :( 
I hope that's not the case... 

This year to me is different especially on the defense look at our previous defensive coaches till now. The team did what everyone wanted stop hiring friends and brought in proven coaches. For the offense it will be same same but different lol. New editions definitely makes us more aerodynamic to fight lamo

LOOK OUT. What are those guys flying around attacking anything and everything in sight? Eagles Ravens Cardinals NAW ***** IT'S THE FALCONS. 

Yeah I’m enjoying this off-season so far. Wanted Fowler or Clowney but thought nah that won’t happen. Even if it should. When Gurley was released I thought wow what if? But nah that ain’t gonna happen. I wasn’t a big fan of the Hurst trade but I’ve more than warmed up to that after a bit of research . And we still have 5 picks in the first 4 rounds! 

bringing in some help at LB before the draft would be nice  

I don’t think they are swinging for the fences.  I think they are being very smart while not over paying people, they are taking the singles and doubles to keep the analogy going.  Swinging for fences would have been way overpaying Clowney the 20mil he wants and would have been a mistake.  So I get your point and agree with what you are saying, but I’m just happy they aren’t going “all out” if that makes sense.

I absolutely love the  offseason so far. We are a far better team today then week 17 of last year. Hayden is not proven but I believe is already better then Hooper, he just needed a chance to show it. Fowler will hopefully take pressure off Grady and allow Takk to play better as well. We need some help at LB CB SS and LG. But I think we can shore it up enough to have a good solid team if coached properly in 2020. I think Oliver will ball out this year, Take advantage of those long arms. Hopefully Rico is in the slot so kazee can take over the FS spot. That dude is a pick king, just not an amazing cover guy. So I’m pretty exited for this team. Hats off to Rich McCay, TD and DQ. 

Love the offseason so far. Don't think it would be wise to stop in our tracks by moving up in the draft and giving away our picks. We are not one player away from a Super Bowl by any stretch. Our oline has yet to prove both consistent talent or health, our corners are young and we had to let go of our most proven for cap reasons, we still need more help at DLine, and there are holes at linebacker. Please let's not stop the momentum and the building of a winner for any one player that is one injury away from ending our season before it starts or can't make enough of a difference on his own 

I've been liking the moves we've been making a lot so far.

I was initially upset that we were letting Hoop walk, but I'm really glad to see that they had been working on a contingency plan in Hurst. I think he's got a lot of potential in this offense. 

Bummed to see Tru and Free go, but those contracts were just bad and we overpayed for the production we were receiving.

I don't think that Fowler is a world beater, but it looks like he's just better enough to make the plays that Vic should have been making. Grady has been getting pressure from the inside and forcing opportunities for the edge to make plays but Vic just wouldn't get there. Watching some Rams games it seemed like Donald would get the pressures and Fowler would always be there to get the sack or force a fumble. I still hope we draft someone in the first 3 to continue to help the edges.

I tend to err on the side of being a bit of a homer, and I usually want to give players more of a chance than most, but I'm still skeptical of Oliver. I think that secondary needs a higher pick to shore it up. I still have a lot of hope that Oliver puts it all together this season.

That being said, I just hope we don't sell the farm draft pick wise to move up. I don't like losing that draft capital. I don't want us to end up like the Rams, nearly getting there but not making it while we sacrifice the next seasons draft banking on this season. I just don't think Koetter is the guy to get us to the big game.

To me it has seemed like they've been stuck in some sort of stagnate trap the last few years trying to regain the magic of the SB run.  At this point, there's been so much turnover hopefully everyone in the organization is truly moving on and ready to create something new.

5 hours ago, D.B.N. said:

I am definitely loving these moves so far. Trimming the fat (trufant, Freeman, beasley, etc) and bringing in Fowler and Gurley. Fowler won’t solve our pass rush woes alone but we can’t say TD isn’t trying anymore.  Same with Gurley- love the signing as it is low risk high reward. At this point this offseason has been very solid imo and I applaud TD and co for making hard decisions and swinging for the fences on these signings.  We can’t say he isn’t trying. At this point, I could see us moving up in the draft for Okudah, Brown, or Simmons and quite frankly I wouldn’t be upset about that. Solid job FO, solid job. Looking forward to this year! 

For being in a bad cap situation, they are doing well, I agree. And the trimming of the fat is also going well.

It sure would be nice if we hadn't screwed the pooch with some questionable moves the past couple of years so that we could drop some money on another pass rusher or some veteran help in the secondary.

7 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

I think the FO have been doing what they do since the SB but for one reason or another things just haven’t gone to plan.Variables like injury and coaching among others have played there parts.

I think they’ve sat down weighed up there surrounding and are just executing a plan.

It all comes to naught if coaches can’t use the talent presented to them.

The real problem here is the coaching.  Quinn exposed himself as a fraud.  He is not a defensive genius or guru.  He is just a guy.  Let's hope that Morris is a real upgrade and that Koetter actually improves his game.

Agree wholeheartedly.  The FO swung for the fences last year.  The signings of Brown and Carpenter were thought to have solved the OL once and for all.  

Swinging for the fences can render great things, but it can also make you look foolish.

47 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Agree wholeheartedly.  The FO swung for the fences last year.  The signings of Brown and Carpenter were thought to have solved the OL once and for all.  

Swinging for the fences can render great things, but it can also make you look foolish.

Last year was hardly “swinging for the fences”? Not even remotely close.  In fact I was thoroughly disappointed with our offseason last year outside of the draft. 

They need to find a CB or another pass rusher before the draft IMO.

I'd love Okuda but even with him that secondary would be a worry because of all the young talent. Can't believe more people here aren't concerned with it.

20 minutes ago, Malachore said:

They need to find a CB or another pass rusher before the draft IMO.

I'd love Okuda but even with him that secondary would be a worry because of all the young talent. Can't believe more people here aren't concerned with it.

There has been multiple instances where Tru has been hurt and the secondary looked just as good, if not better, without him. Yes, we need another cb, but losing Tru isn't a dire situation.

Pretty sure our first 3 picks will be CB, LB, and DT (in no particular order) after the FA moves we’ve made. We probably need a S and OG, too.

And if TD thinks he’s on the chopping block after this season, I won’t be surprised if he mortgages future drafts to make several moves up to get certain guys in this one. 

Simmons is too far up, but Okudah, Brown, and Kinlaw aren’t.

It would be such a TD thing to do to move up 7-8 spots for Okudah.