Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
theProf

To those who hope that Dimitroff will trade-down in the first-round

Since Thomas Dimitroff has been the Falcons GM, he has never traded-down in the first-round of the NFL Draft.  However, he has traded-up in the first-round on five different occasions:

2008 traded-up for Sam Baker

2011 traded-up for Julio Jones

2013 traded-up for Desmond Trufant

2017 traded-up for Tak McKinley

2019 traded-up for Kaleb McGary

This certainly doesn't mean that Dimi will never trade-down in the first-round, but it does indicate that he seems more likely to trade-up, rather than trade-down in the first round.

2 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Up candidates are Simmons Young Okudah.

To get all the way up to #2 to draft Chase Young, the Falcons would have to give up a minimum of:

Redskins #1-002(2,600pts)

Falcons #1-016( 1,000pts) + #2-047(430pts) + #3-078 (200pts) + 2021 1st rounder (not discounted - 1,000pts - assumes 16th position)

You would basically be wiping out two drafts to get him......it only works if you have cap room next year(2021) to make up for loss of picks w/ free agency and figure out a way to squeeze in some more vets this year.

Additionally, Dimitroff has only traded-down from the second-round one time that being in 2017, when he traded-down from almost the last pick in round-two at #63 to receive pick #75 (Duke Riley), pick #149 (Damontae Kazee), and #156 (Brian Hill).

14 minutes ago, Dirtier Bird said:

To those that hope the Falcons will win a Super Bowl, we never have.

1966 we finished 3-11 (My Dad told me to give them a few years to build a good team)

1967 we finished 1-12-1 (Dad said maybe next year)

1968 we finished 2-12 (Started to realize Dad wasn't always right)

etc.

The Chiefs and Eagles just won a super bowl with a fan base that had our same mentality.

14 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

To get all the way up to #2 to draft Chase Young, the Falcons would have to give up a minimum of:

Redskins #1-002(2,600pts)

Falcons #1-016( 1,000pts) + #2-047(430pts) + #3-078 (200pts) + 2021 1st rounder (not discounted - 1,000pts - assumes 16th position)

You would basically be wiping out two drafts to get him......it only works if you have cap room next year(2021) to make up for loss of picks w/ free agency and figure out a way to squeeze in some more vets this year.

Not saying we will go up for any of them.

I think if they do there the prime 3 you’d look at.

Okudah would probably be the favourite in my eyes what would he cost if he got down to a 6-8 type range.

One of Dimitroff's best trades on draft day was in the 2015 draft when the Falcons traded-up nine picks in the 5th-round to draft Grady Jarrett at pick #137. Atlanta had to give-up its 5th-round pick #146, which the Vikings used to draft Stephon Diggs, and a 6th-round pick #185. 

39 minutes ago, theProf said:

Additionally, Dimitroff has only traded-down from the second-round one time that being in 2017, when he traded-down from almost the last pick in round-two at #63 to receive pick #75 (Duke Riley), pick #149 (Damontae Kazee), and #156 (Brian Hill).

He traded down in 2016 in the second round - went from 50 to 52 with Houston, got an extra sixth and drafted Debo and Wes.

8 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

He traded down in 2016 in the second round - went from 50 to 52 with Houston, got an extra sixth and drafted Debo and Wes.

Traded down one year and took that crappy OG I cannot even remember his name - he was a bust from the get-go.   Somebody help me out with the name.

53 minutes ago, theProf said:

Of all things TD loves trading away 2nd rounders. We didn’t draft a pick in round 2 in about 40% of his drafts if I remember correctly.

7 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Traded down one year and took that crappy OG I cannot even remember his name - he was a bust from the get-go.   Somebody help me out with the name.

Are you thinking of Peter Konz? We didn’t have a first that year from Julio trade.

1 hour ago, Dirtier Bird said:

To those that hope the Falcons will win a Super Bowl, we never have.

1966 we finished 3-11 (My Dad told me to give them a few years to build a good team)

1967 we finished 1-12-1 (Dad said maybe next year)

1968 we finished 2-12 (Started to realize Dad wasn't always right)

etc.

My dad said the same thing and usually by week 5 all I heard was "same ol Falcons" and he started shaking his head.

5 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

We only have 6 picks in 2020. I really can't see us trading up at this point.

Unless we trade up only a few spots ( for Kinlaw as an example).  Could potentially trade the  202016th and 2021 2nd/3rd and/or 4th since we should expect several comp pics. IF Kinlaw or Simmons is very reachable and if the trade partner is ok with pics for next year.