Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Francis York Morgan

For the Gurley Signing Haters: 10 Reasons

I agree with this totally. They’ve been talking about the issues mcvay had with Gurley and how he wanted Goff to be the focus of the offense. Look how that’s worked out. I’m pumped to get this team on the field and excited about the draft. I want kinlaw but at this point BPA and crush it. 

He was OPY just 2 years ago, good signing for 5 mill. I think Brian Hill will be released. We need a burner to Compliment Gurley/Ollison.

Anthony McFarland  From Maryland in the 3rd makes sense. A rotation of Gurley/Ito/McFarland/Ollison would be fun to watch providing the OL holds up. We still need a young LG. Take this guy play him at LG until Mack retires. Spend the remaining picks on DT CB LB

The number 1 pro of the Gurley signing in my opinion is fan turnout. He will get the homers pumped up and maybe fill the stands... for once. 

If I’m Atlanta I let him practice lightly and I run him full bore during the games. I’m not managing anything during the games. He’s on a  1 year deal. I’d see exactly what he’s got. 

Excellent  points.

Take a look at both of their production the last 3 years. 

Gurley had 3413 rushing yards and 54 TDs 
Freeman had 1,589 rushing yards and 14 TDs. 

*The TDs above include their receiving TDs

*Free missed 14 games in 2018 but still, look at that stunning difference in production, especially in the area of TDs.  

One of the things that have nagged the Falcons in the Blank era is the Falcons getting bogged down in red zone and kicking too many FGs.  Gurley is a TD machine.

54 TDS in the last 3 years is mind blowing production in an area we have struggled.

I wasn't a Gurley Hater - actually loved him at UGA and Rams - but wasn't in favor of signing him to a multi-year deal or giving him $7-8mm/season.

I do think the knee will continue to be a problem and we could see him just run out of steam by season's end like he did the Superbowl year.

Having said that, the 1 year deal, supposedly at $5mm, takes away the majority of my concerns.   Still wouldn't be a bad idea to draft a RB but agree that Falcons have bigger needs at this point - clearly cornerback, passrusher (DT or DE), linebacker, cornerback, left guard and maybe even safety are needs.

With this signing Falcons get some potential pop at RB spot - albeit a guy that needs to be managed - and frees up the draft to address other positions.

So "net/net" I like the deal now as the risk of the signing is relatively low with it being a 1 year deal.  If he plays well, maybe Falcons opt to keep him on thereafter but by then, the Falcons and their doctors will know more than any other team about the knee.

the one thing I noticed on the 2019 highlight tape on Gurley is there were several good long runs that weren't TD runs whereas the year earlier he would have been gone to paydirt - booyah Touchdown! - that extra ounce of explosion - seems to not be there - still a great back, but definitely not at the very highest and best of his level - still 85% of Gurley is better than 100% of most NFL RBs.

here is the highlight reel of which I speak:

33 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I wasn't a Gurley Hater - actually loved him at UGA and Rams - but wasn't in favor of signing him to a multi-year deal or giving him $7-8mm/season.

I do think the knee will continue to be a problem and we could see him just run out of steam by season's end like he did the Superbowl year.

Having said that, the 1 year deal, supposedly at $5mm, takes away the majority of my concerns.   Still wouldn't be a bad idea to draft a RB but agree that Falcons have bigger needs at this point - clearly cornerback, passrusher (DT or DE), linebacker, cornerback, left guard and maybe even safety are needs.

With this signing Falcons get some potential pop at RB spot - albeit a guy that needs to be managed - and frees up the draft to address other positions.

So "net/net" I like the deal now as the risk of the signing is relatively low with it being a 1 year deal.  If he plays well, maybe Falcons opt to keep him on thereafter but by then, the Falcons and their doctors will know more than any other team about the knee.

The SB year he didn’t run out of steam. They simply played him while he was injured and he RE injured himself rendering him useless in the SB. Not sitting him was a crucial mistake on the rams part. 

1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

The SB year he didn’t run out of steam. They simply played him while he was injured and he RE injured himself rendering him useless in the SB. Not sitting him was a crucial mistake on the rams part. 

It's nice when it happens to someone else. Still mad about John Abraham playing in that meaningless week 17 game and getting hurt before the playoff run...

39 minutes ago, hjerry said:

I don't hate it. I'm cautiously optimistic. The knee thing is worrisome, and I just end up clashing with everyone who tells me to ignore it.

Let me take a middle ground then.  Don't ignore it.  Simply take it for what it is.  Gurley frees us up to be more flexible in the draft.  Instead of feeling like we need to draft a RB high, we can let the draft fall to us.  If the knee is shot the physical will reveal that.  If it isn't, sure, it could go out again.  Sure, he could be slowed by it.  He's likely lost some significant burst.  But he's still a good, productive back with good vision and is a threat in the pass game as well as the run game.  Look at his TD over Beasley last season as evidence of that.  He can also pass protect.  He improves the entire offense in multiple ways.

If he isn't healthy, we're probably about as well off with Ito carrying the load versus a rookie trying to learn to pass protect.  Even Ollison would likely have a leg up on a rook.  They obviously didn't want to draft a RB high this season, so this makes sense.  It's relatively low risk, potentially high reward, but probably just a competent veteran back to come in and contribute to the platoon.

And if that's all it is, that's good enough.

Also, they're probably cutting Hill in light of this -- I don't think they tie up $8 million base in 2 RBs with our cap issues.  Unless they're planning to cut Mack and Neal and a bunch of other folks, which just creates new holes.  I'd rather have Mack and/or Neal than Hill all day long.

9 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

good point Fatboi

3 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Let me take a middle ground then.  Don't ignore it.  Simply take it for what it is.  Gurley frees us up to be more flexible in the draft.  Instead of feeling like we need to draft a RB high, we can let the draft fall to us.  If the knee is shot the physical will reveal that.  If it isn't, sure, it could go out again.  Sure, he could be slowed by it.  He's likely lost some significant burst.  But he's still a good, productive back with good vision and is a threat in the pass game as well as the run game.  Look at his TD over Beasley last season as evidence of that.  He can also pass protect.  He improves the entire offense in multiple ways.

If he isn't healthy, we're probably about as well off with Ito carrying the load versus a rookie trying to learn to pass protect.  Even Ollison would likely have a leg up on a rook.  They obviously didn't want to draft a RB high this season, so this makes sense.  It's relatively low risk, potentially high reward, but probably just a competent veteran back to come in and contribute to the platoon.

And if that's all it is, that's good enough.

Also, they're probably cutting Hill in light of this -- I don't think they tie up $8 million base in 2 RBs with our cap issues.  Unless they're planning to cut Mack and Neal and a bunch of other folks, which just creates new holes.  I'd rather have Mack and/or Neal than Hill all day long.

Well stated JDaveG.

Win for Team/Todd/Fans at minimal risk.

I saw this movie before, Steven Jackson was signed as a PR stunt by a regime about to hit the door. Did not work out well for us, this move probably won't either.

55 minutes ago, hjerry said:

I don't hate it. I'm cautiously optimistic. The knee thing is worrisome, and I just end up clashing with everyone who tells me to ignore it.

Where I am honestly.