Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boise Falcon Fan

TD Has Done a Masterful Job this Offseason

TD is killing the off season right now!

He needed to have a great off season, and he has started in fantastic fashion.  Hooper wanted too much money, so he let him go. Free was over paid, so he let him go. Hated to see Tru go, but I get it.  Team balled out 2nd half of the season without him, so it makes sense to let him go.  Campbell got more money than we could afford, so he didn't resign him either.  Letting Beasley go seemed like a no brainer to most, but with keeping him last year, nobody knew. He definitely made the right call there.

After losing the players above, the team had some obvious needs, so he goes out and acquires a TE that should be able to hit the ground running - for a bargain basement price.  Possibly provide a better weapon for Koetter's offense. He's faster, and a better blocker.  Then he goes out and gets a RB that has injury issues, but he comes on a bargain 1 year, prove it deal.  He also went out and replaced Beasley with a better player for not really that much more than they were paying Beasley last year.

Now he can focus on the defense that needs a few plug and play starters that can produce at a high level early on. He's set us up for draft success by eliminating some of the glaring needs on this roster.  The offense is pretty much set, so he can go get us a DT, a CB, and a LB.  Maybe he'll get us a C in the mid rounds that can be developed. 

With the moves he's made, he can move up or trade down. Fact is, he's earning his money.  Some of you may not like him, but he's not staying put. I think we are **** lucky to have him, and I am excited about the coming year.

5 minutes ago, hjerry said:

I'm wait and see. None of these additions are proven consistent producers, and all come with serious question marks.

I'm hoping for the best though

Gurley is a TD machine.  His yardage 

• 1,300  10 TD

• 1,200   6 TD’s

• 2,100  13 TD’s

• 1,850  17 TD’s

• 1,100   14 TD’s

On a one year deal there are few real question marks on Gurley

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Gurley is a TD machine.  His yardage 

• 1,300  10 TD

• 1,200   6 TD’s

• 2,100  13 TD’s

• 1,850  17 TD’s

• 1,100   14 TD’s

On a one year deal there are few real question marks on Gurley

Yeah, at one year 5 mil I dont see the problem. Managed correctly, there is no downside. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Man, you have been singlehandedly pounding the table for him so hard. Don't get too mad if/when we don't

Just want a legit defense for once! We need to be able to get after the QBs in this division. Also it will give us flexibility in the draft.

Edited by 175_Ranger_Falcon

19 minutes ago, hjerry said:

I'm wait and see. None of these additions are proven consistent producers, and all come with serious question marks.

You just described every signing in the NFL.  Wait, in all of sports.

Is there risk involved?  Absolutely.  But really, lets look at what we've done so far while in "cap ****".

- 25 year old pass rusher coming off the best season of his career so far.

- 1st round TE talent who fell behind a all pro TE his rookie season because of injury.  He has more upside than Hooper and costs WAAAYYY less since he is still on his rookie deal.

- 25 year old running back who was widely considered one of the best in the league just 2 years ago on a 1 year prove it deal.  Yes, the knee is a concern, but even with that concern he still put up close to 1000 yards rushing (over 1000 all purpose) and 14 TDs.  

I think every one of them is well worth the risk.  

25 minutes ago, hjerry said:

What player do you get in FA that does not have a question marks unless it's someone you are paying 20m+ for yearly.

25 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Don’t think Hurst comes with any question marks. After 3 years here let him go. 1 year deal for Gurley has no downside at all 

4 minutes ago, hjerry said:

That's the key. We can't run him into the ground. As part of a committee, closely monitored, this can work

They have a lot of experience with doing that with Julio. They should be good with keeping Gurley's workload managable. I am a little worried tht his knee is just shot and he'll be like T. Davis from the Broncos- great for a couple of years, then injuries just destroyed his career.

Just now, youngbloodz said:

Don’t think Hurst comes with any question marks. After 3 years here let him go. 1 year deal for Gurley has no downside at all 

Hurst was overshadowed on his team. Was there extenuating circumstances, or was he just not that good, and we got swindled? It's really hard to know

2 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

What player do you get in FA that does not have a question marks unless it's someone you are paying 20m+ for yearly.

Fowler has one year of actual production. That's not something true of most FAs

Would still like to fill a either the DE need with either Griffen/Clayborn or the SLB need with Clay Matthews as a 1-2 year stopgap. 

RB absolutely must still be a priority in the draft.

I feel like were acting like the patriots finally. Get team friendly deals. Take chances on 1 year vet deals. smart TE trade.. I think gurley is done but im all for 1 year prove it deals with proven vets working on getting paid elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, pa_falcon_fan said:

Is there risk involved?  Absolutely.  But really, lets look at what we've done so far while in "cap ****".

- 25 year old pass rusher coming off the best season of his career so far.

- 1st round TE talent who fell behind a all pro TE his rookie season because of injury.  He has more upside than Hooper and costs WAAAYYY less since he is still on his rookie deal.

- 25 year old running back who was widely considered one of the best in the league just 2 years ago on a 1 year prove it deal.  Yes, the knee is a concern, but even with that concern he still put up close to 1000 yards rushing (over 1000 all purpose) and 14 TDs.  

I think every one of them is well worth the risk.  

Oh.. and to add on to that... with Tru being designated as a June 1st cut, TD has positioned us to have $10M free cap space AFTER the draft.  We will be set to be able to grab some key pieces as veteran players get cut after being replaced by draft picks.

2 minutes ago, pa_falcon_fan said:

Oh.. and to add on to that... with Tru being designated as a June 1st cut, TD has positioned us to have $10M free cap space AFTER the draft.  We will be set to be able to grab some key pieces as veteran players get cut after being replaced by draft picks.

Most of that will go toward draft picks, and having extra funds for injury signings during the season