Gurley Released ... Can we afford him?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2 years for 10 million With incentives 

Something has go be very very wrong with Todd Gurley, the Rams know it and every team would be wise to investigate what the situation is. He is 25 and talent wise a Top3 RB in this league, you don‘t j

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

I think you are really getting caught up in the name and past production.  My name is “g-dawg” so of course I am a Gurley fan.

Having said that, an arithitic knee isn’t something that just gets better - you have it for life and it gets worse with time.

Any money thrown at Gurley is likely just throwing it away - he will either be a part time player or full-time and gets hurt and on the shelf for half the season.

Gurley might can have some good games but don’t think he can have a good season.  If  I was GM, I would make him an offer but he would probably be insulted by it.   Probably would be $3mm/yr with incentives to go to $10mm/yr and a 2yr deal with $6mm guaranteed.

Falcons would be better off just drafting a young guy.

He is 25 and on a down year had 1100 yards and 14 TD.  At 5-7 mill it’s worth a risk. It’s less than we gave Carp

My post in another thread about this:

Gurley shouldn't have played another down for Georgia after getting suspended for a jersey autograph.  I would have told them to kick rocks.  That injury he suffered when he came back after suspension has never healed.  He is lucky to have made the money he has made.   The Rams don't want him at the current contract price, so the Falcons can sign him to a prove it deal.  A win for both parties if it worked out...

6 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

My post in another thread about this:

Gurley shouldn't have played another down for Georgia after getting suspended for a jersey autograph.  I would have told them to kick rocks.  That injury he suffered when he came back after suspension has never healed.  He is lucky to have made the money he has made.   The Rams don't want him at the current contract price, so the Falcons can sign him to a prove it deal.  A win for both parties if it worked out...

This resonates the same as Latimore from SC gameycocks! Went pro and nada! 

5 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Listing a bad contract doesn't make another a good idea

Low risk high reward gambles are good with me.  Fowler is a much larger risk due to contract size.  But you guys are acting like he is in a walker.  

He gets swelling due to arthritis.  It’s expected.  But his speed, vision, power and hands are all still good.  On a short term deal with 5-6 mill per year, he is a worthy signing

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Falcons and Dolphins had the most trade interest before the Rams released Todd Gurley.

Gurley's contract was bad enough that a trade was never going to happen, but they are sensible landing spots. The free-spending Dolphins have since signed Jordan Howard, but that might not be a deal-breaker. Atlanta would be a homecoming for Gurley, and the Falcons currently have one of the league's worst backfields. Gurley, of course, does not have good 2019 film.

8 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Low risk high reward gambles are good with me.  Fowler is a much larger risk due to contract size.  But you guys are acting like he is in a walker.  

He gets swelling due to arthritis.  It’s expected.  But his speed, vision, power and hands are all still good.  On a short term deal with 5-6 mill per year, he is a worthy signing

He was MIA last two games of the 2018 postseason, longer a season goes on, more chance that he's hurt. 2019, he had 3 games under 25 yards rushing, I'm guessing none of the highlights came from those games. What if he has 6 under 25 games next year?

Fowler doesn't have arthritis in his knee and fills a much more critical role for the team. You can find a RB in the 3rd round that can give you 75% of what Gurley does for a fraction of the cost. Much harder to do that with an edge rusher.

If the Falcons sign him, really hope your take is the correct one.

5 hours ago, D.B.N. said:

Since he was released that means we have no dead money hit if we cut him next year. I say do it. If healthy, he is a beast. There is still gas left in that tank. We could get 2-3 solid years out of him. 

I don’t think wants to play hard anymore; ain’t no fire burning there