Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LaurentRobinsonDaGawd

Report: Falcons have interest in Gurley(Shultz and Birchfield); Gurley intersted in Atlanta if released.

Posted (edited)

I'm all for signing Gurley to a friendly deal where we can release him without much dead cap...if healthy he's a top 5 RB in the league. If not we still have Hill 

Also, since he was released, him signing wouldn't negate a comp pick (I believe)

Edited by DirtyBird2

Now that he is a FA and seems to want to play here...like Fowler indicated before we worked out the terms and he was supposedly our 2nd option...

I’d be interest on a team friendly deal no question. He doesn’t count toward list of CFA and we could skip RB in the draft unless it was a true BPA mid rounds.

CB/Pass rush DL/iOL rounds 1-3 let’s go.

6 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Its true, he probably wouldn't hold up more than 5 games and i realize that.. Not worth it in the long run.. RB's just have a short career no matter how big the name is 

I keep reading how unhappy you are about every possibility that is posted on this site.  Why don't you tell us what you would do?  I want to hear your plan.

Let me make the case for a "we'll see" deal for Gurley.

Yes, he's injury prone.  Yes he has underperformed due to health issues.  But when healthy, he is a dynamic back.  And if he's healthy now, and we can get him at a reasonable price, it's a no brainer as I see it.  You won't get a better combination of size, speed and power, AND he can catch and run after the catch.  He's a game changer.

You might say "if he's healthy they wouldn't have cut him."  Not true.  His cap hit for this season is over $17 million.  Dead money is high for a post June 1 cut, but cap savings is around $5.5 million over $11 million or so in dead money.  So you pay him $8 million extra to play for you, or you cut him and save the $5.5 million and spread out the dead money over 2 seasons (pre-June 1 is a nearly $3 million cap hit and $20 million in dead money this season).

Gurley was on a horrible deal.  They couldn't afford to keep him.  But whatever team signs him can if the deal is done better.

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird2 said:

I'm all for signing Gurley to a friendly deal where we can release him without much dead cap...if healthy he's a top 5 RB in the league. If not we still have Hill 

Also, since he was released, him signing wouldn't negate a comp pick (I believe)

He averaged 70 yards last year, he has arthritis in his 20s, he will never be the same as he once was. Another good player that's been taken down by injury. 

1 minute ago, NaGaBoy said:

I keep reading how unhappy you are about every possibility that is posted on this site.  Why don't you tell us what you would do?  I want to hear your plan.

Draft a rb with healthy legs?? Thats probably our best bet.. Also, we have Ollison.. Who imo can be a lead back

1 minute ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Draft a rb with healthy legs?? Thats probably our best bet.. Also, we have Ollison.. Who imo can be a lead back

For the record, I'd rather draft Swift than sign Gurley.  But I don't think they're planning to do that, and I'm honestly not sure they're going to draft a RB at all.

19 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

That's the point. His body was already broken down when the Falcons signed him. It only took the 2nd game of the season for it to show up. Trading for Gurley would be massive mistake.

He was already 30 years old of course he was done lol. Gurley's only 25

Just now, JDaveG said:

For the record, I'd rather draft Swift than sign Gurley.  But I don't think they're planning to do that, and I'm honestly not sure they're going to draft a RB at all.

We could sign Gurley then draft Akers in the 4th 

Posted (edited)

I would kick the tires. I will even go 2 years if he is healthy. He isn't going to get 10 million a year. More like 4 to 6.  I will even let it void at his choice after a year. I didn't watch him enough to know how much of a problem the knee is. I have heard it's a degenerative condition.

Even if you bring him in, you need a 2nd RB. 3rd or 4th rounder as he is not long term and you plan on giving him help. 

Edited by isproab

1 minute ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

OK.  But, it gets more complicated.  Who has healthy legs who will stay healthy for a few years?  We have many holes.  This RB needs to come out of round 4 most likely.  Here are our draft positions:

• Round 1, No. 16 overall
  • Round 2, No. 47 overall
  • Round 3, No. 78 overall
  • Round 4, No. 119 overall
  • Round 4, No. 143 overall
  • Round 7, No. 228 overall

We need starters at OLG, DT, CB, LB, and RB. We also need depth at C and ORG.   I think we need 2 CBs.  Can we afford to draft a RB in R4?  If so, can we get a CB or LB in round 7?  I do not believe we can use the draft to eliminate all the holes.  We are going to have to pick up 2-3 serviceable players in FA or via trade.  If we do not pick up a RB outside of the draft, which positions will we fill outside of the draft? 

I have great hopes for Ollison.  He is yet unproven.  Same with Smith and Hill.  I think we have to add a RB.

Check this link, Spotrac free agent guards.

You can changes the position as this is a searchable database.

We have limited cap space and more holes than draft positions.  And, we all know draft positions are a gamble, just like trades and FA.  What are the Falcons to do?

I like Gurley as a player/coach if he can run and play as a sub.

10 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Why would we? Maybe a late rounder to add to the mix. We have already shown plenty of trust in Ito. B Hill deserves a shot at being a starter or at least lead guy in a platoon. Ollison runs tough and def has potential to be good in this league. I’m not for wasting a pick on a position where great RBs come out of latter rounds. Swift is a stud but we don’t need him like that. 

42 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

On a team friendly deal, I would roll with Gurley for two years.  He and B. Hill would be solid.  Watch the video below.  Dude isn’t washed up.  He could get 1100 yards and 14 TD’s easily 

How could anyone watch this and not want this man. He’s a beast. 

4 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Age isn't really the factor in this.. Its the damage done to his kness.. Thats a much bigger factor than age for a rb

In our offense with our weapons, he might not take as much of a beating as with any other teams. 850+ yards 13 tds after injury isnt bad. AP came back and showed out 

1 hour ago, 408Falcon said:

I'm sure they are talking to Fowler about him. Getting some inside scoop lol

I mean since he's released it would affect our comp picks. And camp and Tru were signed so sheet throw em a 3rd and 5th.