Conundrum In The Secondary

I have to admit, we have had a very solid start to the offseason.  Starting with the addition of Whitt Jr as secondary coach and filling two gaping holes by adding Hurst & Fowler Jr.  But the secondary has me concerned.

As we saw last year, a struggling backend completely nullifies your pass rush.  We were 1-7 until Morris took over the secondary.  His biggest contribution was getting the guys set early which fixed most of our communication issues.  The result was a 6-2 finish and a pass rush that finally got home.

With the release of Trufant and Wilson still not signed, our secondary is paper thin and incredibly young on the outside.  With Sheffield & Oliver assuming boundary corner spots, I can only assume Rico will man the slot with Kazee & Neal at safety.  This is a question mark at best as of now.  And an injury to Sheffield or Oliver leaves us with Miller...not sure we have a backup nickel.

Wilson needs to be signed ASAP.  And hope  we also add a veteran to the unit along with an early draft pick.  I’m a firm believer in building your defense from back to front.  TD has never really done so.  We’ve spent so many resources on Edge over the years...but without a solid secondary your DL is irrelevant

I agree we need more pieces, but I somewhat disagree as far as building from the outside in. IMO the only way to disrupt pocket passers like Brady, Brees  and Rodgers is pressure from the front 4 in a big way to cause hurried or errent throws. If given time, it doesn't matter who you have back there, someone will eventually be open. I believe Kinlaw or even Suh, next to Grady would make even an average secondary look better with the addition of Fowler with that push up the middle 

22 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Free agency is far from over and we still have the draft. They'll bring in 2 or 3 guys.

I agree.  It’s the purpose of the thread.  How do we see the secondary being added to over the next few months.  I was down with Boston but Carolina signed him to a 3 year deal.  

Do you think we will try to add a starter or just quality backups?

For me, I like Sheffield at nickel so a starting boundary corner would be nice

46 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Free agency is far from over and we still have the draft. They'll bring in 2 or 3 guys.

49 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I have to admit, we have had a very solid start to the offseason.  Starting with the addition of Whitt Jr as secondary coach and filling two gaping holes by adding Hurst & Fowler Jr.  But the secondary has me concerned.

As we saw last year, a struggling backend completely nullifies your pass rush.  We were 1-7 until Morris took over the secondary.  His biggest contribution was getting the guys set early which prevented most of our communication issues.  The result was a 6-2 finish and a pass rush that finally got home.

With the release of Trufant and Wilson still no extended, our secondary is paper thin and incredibly young on the outside.  With Sheffield & Oliver assuming boundary corner spots, I can only assume Rico will man the slot with Kazee & Neal at safety.  This is a question mark at best as of now.  And an injury to Sheffield or Oliver leaves us with Miller...not sure we have a backup nickel.

Wilson needs to be signed ASAP.  And hope  we also add a veteran to the unit along with an early draft pick.  I’m a firm believer in building your defense from back to front.  TD has never really done so.  We’ve spent so many resources on Edge over the years...but without a solid secondary your DL is irrelevant

I agree with both of you. Still sticking by what I said about safety helping the CBs a lot though...a Delpit, McKinney, or Winfield will help more than any CB not named Okudah imho.

5 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I agree with both of you. Still sticking by what I said about safety helping the CBS a lot though...a Delpit, McKinney, or Winfield will help more than any CB not named Okudah imho.

With Trufant getting a post 6/1 designation it leaves us with 2 mill in CAP space (includes rookie contracts).  We will need to clear another 8-10 million to make Fowler’s contract fit and add a few other guys

I really hope that we resign Wilson... he finished strong last year and even though he's not a crazy talented corner in the league, he always seems to get the job done when pushed into more playing time. Given our cap constraints, this is the route I would go.  Then see how the draft falls as far as going Safety or DB early.

3 minutes ago, capologist said:

Watch the post-draft waiver wire.  You'll see some 1 year cheap deals to fill out any remaining gaps.  That's the reason you make Trufant a June 1st cut...

Yeah, I actually agreed with the post 6/1 designation.  It shows that we are not done adding players.  We are going to have 10 million to add some meat & potato players after 6/1.  Also means they have a plan to clear cap in the short term cause atm they can’t fit Fowler under the cap

1 minute ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

A good pass rush can hide a lot of secondary deficiencies. 

While it is a need, I can see the front office going DT in the 1st and making our D-line into an Eagles style of team that shuts down the run and gets after the QB. 

We disagree there.  You can’t hide weakness in the secondary.  You can manufacture a pass rush with lesser players, but you can’t hide below average players in the secondary.  

The main reason i didnt think we would  cut Tru because we woould have a Young AF CB group...... The bright side that i think the team saw is that during half of the 2nd half of the season.... especially the big wins... Tru wasnt playing... It was the young guys showing up.

Again i wanted tru back but if they are going to trust this young group (adding a guy in the draft) ... OK.... but i think we need another rusher.....

9 minutes ago, capologist said:

Watch the post-draft waiver wire.  You'll see some 1 year cheap deals to fill out any remaining gaps.  That's the reason you make Trufant a June 1st cut...

Why make him a June 1st cut now and now wait to cut him until after the draft?

16 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

With Trufant getting a post 6/1 designation it leaves us with 2 mill in CAP space (includes rookie contracts).  We will need to clear another 8-10 million to make Fowler’s contract fit and add a few other guys

Cut Bailey (4.5 mil)

Cut Schaub (let him know we'll bring him back after June 1st if they want him that bad), free 2 mil

Extend Mack two years (he isn't that old) to reduce his hit to 5/6 mil (5 mil freed)

That's where I'd go. Who knows what they're thinking though. PS: when lookimg at top 51, could wind up being less effect on the cap from rookies and FAs than expected.

Not hopeful about anyone we add post 6-1 but at worst the space carries into next season

9 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Cut Bailey (4.5 mil)

Cut Schaub (let him know we'll bring him back after June 1st if they want him that bad), free 2 mil

Extend Mack two years (he isn't that old) to reduce his hit to 5/6 mil (5 mil freed)

That's where I'd go. Who knows what they're thinking though. PS: when lookimg at top 51, could wind up being less effect on the cap from rookies and FAs than expected.

Not hopeful about anyone we add post 6-1 but at worst the space carries into next season

You think it’s possible we tell guys like Clay to just wait and we will sign him 6/1?  Would they even listen?

Maybe Crawford as well..he struggled to repeat a very good 2018, but he would be cheap with potential for 4-6 sacks

I think we bring back Wilson, which at the very least returns your starting 3 CBs that you ended the year with. 

Miller has something to offer us for sure, but I was reminded he will miss the first 3 games of the season due to suspension. After that though he is in play to compete at outside CB in sub packages. 

I think Sheff and Oliver are your 2 starters no matter what with Sheff kicking inside for nickel.

I think we are going to add 1 more vet and a draft pick to this group when its all said and done.

I also think that some of the stress on our CB depth will be relieved because we will see a lot of 3 safety looks this year. 
I can see Kazee as the single high in every formation, Neal as a base SS and nickel linebacker (Rover?) and Allen floating around from base FS to nickel SS with some "Big" Nickel CB mixed in as well