Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Romfal

Trevon Diggs, day 1 starter at 16

Recommended Posts

If the draft was tomorrow this is my guy right now after the Trufant release. We know TD loves his bloodlines and he is a perfect fit for this defense

 

Player Bio
 
Diggs has an outstanding NFL future, and will likely face his oldest brother, Minnesota Vikings WR Stefon, on the field sooner than later. Trevon was actually a two-time All-Washington D.C. Metro pick at receiver during his time at Gaithersburg, Maryland's Avalon School. The four-star recruit played offense (11-88-8.0, one TD), defense (5 tackles, one forced fumble), and special teams (7-166-23.7 kick returns, 13-130-10.0 punt returns) in 15 games as a true freshman for the Tide. Diggs shifted full-time to defense in 2017 (six tackles, three pass breakups, one start in 13 games played) while keeping his return duties (2-74-37.0 kick returns, 18-154-8.6 punt returns). He was a full-time starter for Nick Saban's defense in 2018 (20 tackles, one interception, six pass breakups in six games) but was lost midway through the year to a broken foot. Diggs started 12 contests as a senior, picking up third-team Associated Press All-American and second-team All-SEC accolades after intercepting three passes and tying for the team lead with eight pass breakups (also posting 37 tackles and two fumble recoveries, including a 100-yard score). Another of Diggs' brothers, Mar'Sean, was a defensive back at Iowa Western CC and UAB. His father, Aron, passed away from heart failure in 2008.
 
Analysis
 
By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
NFL Comparison
Aqib Talib
Overview
Talented prospect with rare combination of size, strength and ball skills. As a former receiver, Diggs has an instinctive feel for his opponent's plans and uses his size and athleticism to disrupt the blueprint when possible. The foot agility and short-area burst are good for his size and helped keep completion totals low. He's inconsistent staying in phase with downfield routes and long speed is his kryptonite, causing grabbing and holding when panic sets in. He's a future starting press-man corner with the hands and ball tracking to take it away and should benefit from more help over the top as a pro. Future consideration at free safety is possible considering his size and skill set.
Strengths
  • Elite height, weight and length
  • Size and strength for unique matchup potential against big targets
  • Receivers catch quick jabs or heavy jams from press
  • Fluid and athletic to open and match the route
  • Above-average foot agility for a big cornerback underneath
  • Eyes recognize route-jumping opportunities
  • Little wasted motion to plant, drive and close
  • Wide receiver's instincts and catch talent
  • Used ball skills to make baller interceptions this season
  • Length to become a human shield on 50/50 throws
  • Opportunistic with scoop and score and pick-six in 2019
  • Returned punts and kicks with reasonable success
Weaknesses
  • Upright heel-clicker mirroring release
  • Playmaking mentality can work against him
  • Reacts before properly surveying the situation
  • Loses discipline guarding combo routes
  • Struggles to stay in phase with double moves
  • Long speed is a concern with certain matchups
  • Jersey-tugger when chasing to recover
  • Picked on by LSU and Ja'Marr Chase
  • Had trouble maintaining positioning while tracking deep throws
  • Needs better attention to positioning as open-field tackler

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't dislike Diggs but man why does everyone want to reach so much on players we they can more than likely be had later.  If we like a certain player thats expected to go late 1st or in some mocks early to mid 2nd round.  Why not trade down and then take him to get that 2nd round pick back we lost in the Hurst trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

I don't dislike Diggs but man why does everyone want to reach so much on players we they can more than likely be had later.  If we like a certain player thats expected to go late 1st or in some mocks early to mid 2nd round.  Why not trade down and then take him to get that 2nd round pick back we lost in the Hurst trade.

Becaus e it takes two teams to trade. If you like a player the rankings and mocks mean jack ****. It isnt a reach at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know a thing about Diggs.  However, I like his name.  Diggs is a name that I can trust on the grid iron.  Am I petty, shallow, maybe prejudiced?  Yeah.

If I had to choose between a guy named Diggs and a guy named Pennington, I am going to battle with Diggs.  

It's off-subject, but that is all I have.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, etherdome said:

I don't know a thing about Diggs.  However, I like his name.  Diggs is a name that I can trust on the grid iron.  Am I petty, shallow, maybe prejudiced?  Yeah.

If I had to choose between a guy named Diggs and a guy named Pennington, I am going to battle with Diggs.  

It's off-subject, but that is all I have.  

It’s actually a thing. I read about it once. Sometimes a name can sway even a draft professional 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

You don’t know if he’s a reach or not and stop pretending you know whether or not other teams want to trade up to 16. Until the draft starts falling a certain way, no one knows. The guys going straight up mocks are doing it right.

 

I looked at Diggs combine profile on NFL.com and his comparison was Aqib Talib.

 

By you being probably the biggest Bama fan here, do you think that is anywhere close to being accurate with Diggs coverage ability?

 

If so, he's worth the pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

I looked at Diggs combine profile on NFL.com and his comparison was Aqib Talib.

 

By you being probably the biggest Bama fan here, do you think that is anywhere close to being accurate with Diggs coverage ability?

 

If so, he's worth the pick.

I don’t know if he’s Talib level. I know that I’m slow to endorse Bama players too because of the system. Diggs is the truth. You already know about his brother. Stephon. But Diggs is quicker than fast, athletic, and explosive. He’s like a safety playing corner. I’d take him quicker than the other CBs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Becaus e it takes two teams to trade. If you like a player the rankings and mocks mean jack ****. It isnt a reach at all

People forget there has to be an “other team” involved that is trying to build their team as well. 
 

Gotta love the “just trade down” like it’s that easy crowd! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

I don't dislike Diggs but man why does everyone want to reach so much on players we they can more than likely be had later.  If we like a certain player thats expected to go late 1st or in some mocks early to mid 2nd round.  Why not trade down and then take him to get that 2nd round pick back we lost in the Hurst trade.

I dont get this logic. What makes you certain he can be had later? How often are mock drafts correct? He is the 2 to 4th best corner in the class depending on who you ask, so he can even go before we pick.

TD always stays put or moves up and gets his guy.

TD always 'reaches' according to fans to get his guy. Neither of those will likely change this year. 

It takes 2 to 'tango' and get a trade done. Often times no one wants to move up, I dont think there are great move up targets this year unless a QB drops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Knight of God said:

You don’t know if he’s a reach or not and stop pretending you know whether or not other teams want to trade up to 16. Until the draft starts falling a certain way, no one knows. The guys going straight up mocks are doing it right.

Exactly. It is why post draft ratings are pointless. Everyone who is taken earlier than expected is a reach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Knight of God said:

It’s actually a thing. I read about it once. Sometimes a name can sway even a draft professional 

some of us around here are old enough and have been sports fans long enough to know that yes, 'bloodline' actually IS a thing. Not just in football either. 

 

now that doesn't mean that just because one person in the family IS a tremendous athlete everyone from then on will be, it certainly can help. 

 

and there are way too many 'names' to start listing, but I'd bet anyone reading this thread who's older than 12 can instantly come up with 3 family 'names' where this has been proven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, papachaz said:

some of us around here are old enough and have been sports fans long enough to know that yes, 'bloodline' actually IS a thing. Not just in football either. 

 

now that doesn't mean that just because one person in the family IS a tremendous athlete everyone from then on will be, it certainly can help. 

 

and there are way too many 'names' to start listing, but I'd bet anyone reading this thread who's older than 12 can instantly come up with 3 family 'names' where this has been proven

I would bet that there are more 'bloodline' players that weren't good enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, quotemokc said:

I would bet that there are more 'bloodline' players that weren't good enough.

so you skipped that second part huh.  

 

ok, our first 12 year old has responded

 

:ninja::ninja:

 

 

:lol::lol:

 

yeah through the years there have been cases of 'little brother' didn't quite make the cut. But tell me you didn't instantly think of the names, "Matthews, Manning, and get this one, TRUFANT"  ;) 

 

we can do some research and come up with tons of names for other sports, and even some where maybe one was a football player and another a basketball player, or a baseball player and a basketball player....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only other DB that I like more is Winfield Jr.

Diggs looks nice. I cannot help but imagine what it would be like with him roaming the middle of the field as a safety. 

But more than likely he will be drafted as a CB. 

Still he is an intriguing prospect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sui_Generis said:

The only other DB that I like more is Winfield Jr.

Diggs looks nice. I cannot help but imagine what it would be like with him roaming the middle of the field as a safety. 

But more than likely he will be drafted as a CB. 

Still he is an intriguing prospect. 

What wrong with being able to play anywhere in the secondary?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
  • Create New...