Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
matty72780

Beasley vs Fowler and our new TE

Posted (edited)

I understand the hype and excitement but let’s be realistic here with what we’re getting in Dante Fowler. Fowler and Beasley have been in the league the same amount of years, however Beasley has 37.5 total sacks to Fowler’s 27.5.  Sure, Fowler has had some injury issues but he also lined up next to Aaron Donald and Calais Campbell his entire career allowing him to run free. I hope I’m wrong but this signing reeks of desperation - we’re paying a guy $16mm a year and we let Beasley sign elsewhere for $9mm year despite having better production. 

My only assumption would be he’s a better locker room guy and a better leader than Beasley, being that Quinn coached him at Florida.  We’ve seen these “splashes before” where we drastically overpay and it hamstrings us - I hope I’m wrong, I Hope last years Fowler is who we got, but if this ends up being another Ray Edwards, I’m going to lose my ish! 

I LOVE Hayden Hurst (I live in Baltimore) but I’m pretty sure this is the first time in NFL history a team has traded their second round pick for a backup tight-end. 

Going to be an interesting year! GO FALCONS! 

Edited by matty72780

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, athell said:

Grady ain't half bad :)

Agreed - he’s a stud!  He’s no AD, but that’s not an insult to anyone because AD is a freak! We need to find our “Calais Campbell” next to Little Tuggle 

Edited by matty72780

3 minutes ago, matty72780 said:

Wow, well that’s a phenomenal stat. Guess we will see how good he is not lined up next to Campbell and Aaron Donald  

He's going to be lined up next to Jarrett who isn't a slouch

1 minute ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

He's going to be lined up next to Jarrett who isn't a slouch

Nobody is calling Grady a slouch, he’s just not at Aaron Donald’s level, no other DT in the NFL is either.  

Posted (edited)

Big reason is he hasn’t had the snaps and Fowlers team in Jacksonville never had an explosive offense. Jags were 3-13, 10-6, 5-11 while he was there. 

2016- 570 snaps -53% of plays-11 qb hit 2 sacks

2017-464 snaps-45% of plays-10qb hits 8 sacks

2018 jags-165 16% - 1 hit 2 sacks

2018 rams- 412 41%- 5 hits 2 sacks

2019- 880 80% - 16 hits 11.5 sacks

Beasley. 

2015 - 537 51% 5 hits 4 sacks 

2016  - 671 60% 16 hits 15.5 sacks

2017 - 482 46% 5 hits 5 sacks

2018 - 701 64% 8 hits 5 sacks 

2019- 757 73% 12 hits 8 sacks

Edited by NWFALCON

6 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

Big reason is he hasn’t had the snaps and Fowlers team in Jacksonville never had an explosive offense. Jags were 3-13, 10-6, 5-11 while he was there. 

2016- 570 snaps -53% of plays-11 qb hit 2 sacks

2017-464 snaps-45% of plays-10qb hits 8 sacks

2018 jags-165 16% - 1 hit 2 sacks

2018 rams- 412 41%- 5 hits 2 sacks

2019- 880 80% - 16 hits 11.5 sacks

Beasley. 

2015 - 537 51% 5 hits 4 sacks 

2016  - 671 60% 16 hits 15.5 sacks

2017 - 482 46% 5 hits 5 sacks

2018 - 701 64% 8 hits 5 sacks 

2019- 757 73% 12 hits 8 sacks

Do sacks per snap for the two. I want to but I'm drunk and I'm not sure I can. Maybe I'll try!

9 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Do sacks per snap for the two. I want to but I'm drunk and I'm not sure I can. Maybe I'll try!

88.68 for beasley

69.60 for Fowler

I don’t think that’s super accurate because I believe Vic played more coverage during his time here than Fowler has in his career. 

30 minutes ago, matty72780 said:

Nobody is calling Grady a slouch, he’s just not at Aaron Donald’s level, no other DT in the NFL is either.  

James (@James197609) Tweeted:
Yea See big man Grady Jarrett Ranking high in PFF About time this wre king ball gets attention and pay he is worth#ATLANTA FALCONS NATION#Riseup#InBrotherhood#TFF https://t.co/QakVYBKNmq

So I'm guessing that now every edge rusher that will be associated in any kind of way with the Falcons will be compared to Vic Beasley, Ray Edwards, and Kroy Bierman even if that player is not like any of them?

Why do our fanbase always compare players to former Falcons players that were either bad or mediocre?

6 hours ago, matty72780 said:

If a DT gets double teamed, it’s most often by the C and a OG. If an edge rusher gets doubled, it’s most often by the OT and either TE or RB. They don’t really have that much to do with each other. They play in different parts of the field. 

5 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

So I'm guessing that now every edge rusher that will be associated in any kind of way with the Falcons will be compared to Vic Beasley, Ray Edwards, and Kroy Bierman even if that player is not like any of them?

Why do our fanbase always compare players to former Falcons players that were either bad or mediocre?

Let's not forget Jamal Anderson. Although the player being compared to him would be a potted plant!

We need to get Fowler some help at DT,, Grady is not enough help ,, And if Beasley had had the help that Fowler had,, He's probably would have  had a lot more production also..What I hope will happen now is that we will finially get major help with a top DT in this draft.. Then sure,, Fowler will look like he's twice as good as Beasley,, But in reallity  , The big differance will be The DTs added ,, Not so much the changing out Beasley for Fowler. And yes... I hope we do fix the problem .. of course ... But what could Beasley have done after getting a  major upgrade in the DT department?? I'll just make it simple ,, A lot more... So just remember he didn't have the DTs I think we are going to get in this draft. .or at least I sure hope we do.. If not.. Fowler is in for his lowest production.  Not good..

6 hours ago, matty72780 said:

I understand the hype and excitement but let’s be realistic here with what we’re getting in Dante Fowler. Fowler and Beasley have been in the league the same amount of years, however Beasley has 37.5 total sacks to Fowler’s 27.5.  Sure, Fowler has had some injury issues but he also lined up next to Aaron Donald and Calais Campbell his entire career allowing him to run free. I hope I’m wrong but this signing reeks of desperation - we’re paying a guy $16mm a year and we let Beasley sign elsewhere for $9mm year despite having better production. 

My only assumption would be he’s a better locker room guy and a better leader than Beasley, being that Quinn coached him at Florida.  We’ve seen these “splashes before” where we drastically overpay and it hamstrings us - I hope I’m wrong, I Hope last years Fowler is who we got, but if this ends up being another Ray Edwards, I’m going to lose my ish! 

I LOVE Hayden Hurst (I live in Baltimore) but I’m pretty sure this is the first time in NFL history a team has traded their second round pick for a backup tight-end. 

Going to be an interesting year! GO FALCONS! 

I hear what you are saying, but I can make several arguments just as valid that swing the other way. 

Garoppolo was traded for a 2nd rounder. Say what you want about him, he got is team to the Super Bowl. Nick Folds was no longer the "guy" in Philly when he got in and won a title. Brady wasn't the "the guy" in New England when he hit the stage. Michael Turner was a backup before he became a free agent prize. TE is one of those positions where you just don't feature multiple. It is possible to have multiple good ones, but who legitimately has a passing game that features multiple TEs? The next time a team has two TEs go 50 catches in a season will likely be the first. I'm going with "he was a #1 in college" that has skills and is just two years in. I don't think anyone feels he sucks. 

Fowler I like because he is bigger. I think we need a 260+ pound guy playing on the edge. I also think "Attitude" is everything. We need "dogs" on D. I think Beasley played a lot like his off field personality. Quiet, soft spoken, easy going, unassuming. Not to say he isn't a great athlete, because he is off the charts athletic. There was also just "no counter" with him. If the speed rush was stopped, you had him beat as a blocker. Quinn has the benefit of knowing Fowler so I will give him the benefit of the doubt. Beasley has definitely been on the downward path. 9 sacks was solid last season, but too little for the time and money put into him. Happy the Falcons made an effort to go in another direction with a guy that appears to be on the upswing. Time will tell, can't hate the plan.