Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
E. T.

How do you guys really feel about Thomas Dimitroff?

Just now, Ovie_Lover said:

That's cool. He's given us the best years the Falcons have ever seen. 2 NFCCG appearances and would be 2 SB's without 2 coaching brainfarts.

7th best record in the NFL the last 10 years I believe it was.

Dude has his flaws but he's been good for us.

I couldn't agree with you more. He's brought some really great talent in, some didn't pan out...but it has been a great stretch for us.

He's ok, definitely above average.

As far as a few points the article made, I think we'd have been worse off financially having traded Freeman last season due to his bonus accelerating. And if the comp pick from Hooper is higher than what they were offered then they made the right move there too (if getting a comp pick is the plan).

12 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

That's cool. He's given us the best years the Falcons have ever seen. 2 NFCCG appearances and would be 2 SB's without 2 coaching brainfarts.

7th best record in the NFL the last 10 years I believe it was.

Dude has his flaws but he's been good for us.

Yup.

The grass is greener folks would be firing GMs and Coaches every 2 years like the Browns/Jax/et al. and we'd be perennial losers.

Consistency is how you establish legacy. 

It’s funny really we and the whole league benchmark us against the NE Patriots.We have by far grabbed the best guy off the Belichick tree but for some it won’t be good enough.I accept the fact TD has had issues on the way but what GM hasn’t.

If it doesn’t go well this year he like DQ will be history but I’ll look back on this decade and a bit with at least the idea the Falcons as a franchise through this time were more competitive than they have ever been.

I think, overall, Dimitroff has done a good job, particularly when the owner routinely and publicly concedes contract negotiations that he's trying to conduct.  The problem is that it's hard to judge Dimitroff without knowing some of the details behind his decisions.  Which moves are forced by Blank or Quinn (or even Smith, back in the day).  For instance, I'm assuming it was at Quinn's insistence that we picked up Beasley's fifth year option last season, which was a terrible idea and obvious to most.  It makes no sense unless Quinn wanted it.  Another one, did Dimitroff really want to give Freeman a long term contract, or did ownership/coaches insist on it?  History may show us that his biggest failing was not pushing back enough against ownership and coaching when they forced him into questionable choices.

However you slice it, Dimitroff has presided over the Falcons' longest and greatest periods of success and stability.  Feel free to ascribe as much or as little credit to him as you want.

4 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

It’s funny really we and the whole league benchmark us against the NE Patriots.We have by far grabbed the best guy off the Belichick tree but for some it won’t be good enough.I accept the fact TD has had issues on the way but hat GM hasn’t.

If it doesn’t go well this year he like DQ will be history but I’ll look back on this decade and a bit with at least the idea the Falcons as a franchise through this time were more competitive than they have ever been.

I don't think they will ever fire Dimitroff

I am a Thomas Dimitroff guy. Yea he cannot draft OL and DL to save his life (or job). But he has given us steady playmakers with stupid signings here and there. Overall we are lucky to have been competitive since he arrived.

I think those of us that followed Falcons before the TD era are more accepting/thankful for what he's been able to accomplish since arriving.  Like any GM there is the bad with the good but I think he's done a good job overall. 

Like when a team has a great season and all of the assistant coaches get poached and promoted to other teams, the same thing happened here.  TD built such a good front office that D Caldwell and Les Snead moved on to become GMs.  Instead of panicking TD restocked the team with Pioli and other ex coaches/scouts/GM's.  This to me proves that other respected people in the league have respect for him and want to work with him.

I like the guy - one of top 10 GMs in league.  Probably not top 5, though.

1) We have NEVER had a QB problem.   Don't underestimate this issue.   The Vick debacle was a terrible thing from which to recover.  How many teams can make the same claim?  Maybe 5 in league?

2) Until this year, managed the cap very well.  Little dead money and mostly had plenty of cap room to make moves.

3) Draft selections have been above average.   Fewer home runs that I would like - but they are there - Ryan, Julio, Grady, Debo, Jake Matthews, maybe Keanu Neal...Not bad.  Focus, until recently, was on skill positions, not on line as much.   2019 draft was line-heavy (Lindstrom, McGary and Cominsky) to try and fix o-line.   If that solidifies, we are in good shape.   

4) Trading has been very good.   Got Gonzalez for a 2, traded Sanu for a 2, traded for Julio.  Traded for Levitre.  Traded for Asante Samuel, Sambrailo   VERY good record.  Not one bad trade.

5) Free agency - probably his biggest weakness.  Had some successes (Turner, Poe, Irvin, Crawford), but lots of whiffs.   

Overall, a pretty good record.   I guess he should trade more...lol

He is 100% inept and bottom of the barrel at picking players in the draft and FA that play on the OL and DL.

He has never signed in free agency or drafted a multi year successful pass rusher in 13 years.

We've had multiple head coaches, many DCs, a dozen or more position coaches on the DL.

One trend always resides with TDs teams is our OL is almost always bad, our QBs get sacked way to much and opposing QBs dont get sacked enough.

TD = weak trenches 

He should be fired for this. Our teams are always weak finesse powder puff teams that get pushed around.

Old Dimi has done a lot of good things and help bring some consistency to the Falcons but IMHO it all started when the Smith family got out and AB bought the team. AB is da man. You can be a hater or a lover of TD but there’s one dem thing that’s a FACT - he can’t find pass rushers and he’s not very good at producing OL and DLs. Now other than that I have no problem with him. I just want a pass rush. And I don’t what to hear all the coaching blame as being the pass rush problem...13 yrs of and many DCs and DL coaches is way more time than you can justify a lack of pass rush. I do hope and think TD finds a pass rush this year. I’m pulling for OL spiky head

My main beef is that his drafting philosophy seems to be to draft starters out of the draft...could be wrong, but there never seemed to be any interest on his part in building long-term, and when that didn't work he would try and patch with sketchy FA's. I think he's done well with skill positions for the most part, but that's about it. Like others have said, overall he has had a hand in building mostly competitive teams, so I guess we should be thankful for that much. Wouldn't mind seeing a change though - yeah it might get worse, but I just don't see his constant "we're just a player or 2 away from a super bowl" methodology building a long-time contender.

3 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

He is 100% inept and bottom of the barrel at picking players in the draft and FA that play on the OL and DL.

He has never signed in free agency or drafted a multi year successful pass rusher in 13 years.

We've had multiple head coaches, many DCs, a dozen or more position coaches on the DL.

One trend always resides with TDs teams is our OL is almost always bad, our QBs get sacked way to much and opposing QBs dont get sacked enough.

TD = weak trenches 

He should be fired for this. Our teams are always weak finesse powder puff teams that get pushed around.

But it’s not TDs fault just ask the lovers lol